"Super Hero" School Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Super Hero" School Opening

Wasn't the kid with this bright idea a bully?

'Dark Guardian' to Open Superhero School in New York
    It's where all the future Spidermen and Catwomen will learn the tricks of their trade.

At least that's the hope of self-proclaimed superhero Christopher Pollak, who goes by the moniker "Dark Guardian" and plans to open a school for superheroes in New York City early next year.

"The idea is to teach martial arts and self-defense but also to teach heroic ideas and values at the same time," Pollak told ABC News on Wednesday. "Whether that's how to deal with bullies or how to help other people in the community, there will be a whole big curriculum to teach those things and we'll use superheroes to help learn lessons in the classroom."

[Read the rest at the link above.]
    Surely having a superhero school out in public like that will lead to a supervillain just blowing it up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruins_of_Xavier's_School_for_Gifted_Youngsters_01.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	4336202

I think the RLSH movement and the idea of a "superhero school" are both pretty silly, but its a little refreshing to hear heroic ideals taught alongside martial arts, which are usually taught alongside yuppie parents with ideals about how martial arts are for SELF DEFENSE ONLY and how fighting is NEVER, EVER the answer, and how the REAL martial artist ALWAYS WALKS AWAY FROM A FIGHT. But I'm also against a false sense of confidence that martial arts can bring, and I reckon teaching turn kicks and heroic ideals to superhero obsessed kids is a recipe for a kid to pick fights with bullies who can probably beat up a scrawny yellow belt or whatever.

Comment

So the gardian angels with capes.

Look I like the idea of RLSH it is silly and they will probably get hurt or locked up. But hey beats sitting on the couch.
      Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

"Heroic reasons" is a great answer when someone asks why you practice martial arts.

Comment

Do you like my superhero costume?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Watchmen-rorschach.jpg
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	4328836

I know it doesn't quite fit with my name, Captain Push-Hands, but it's a work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
            Do you like my superhero costume?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15511[/ATTACH]

I know it doesn't quite fit with my name, Captain Push-Hands, but it's a work in progress.
            Make the black on the face into a handprint (and maybe a warning that pushing the face is not legal in push hands).

Comment

This basically a superhero movie inspired 21st century version of the the post 80s Ninja crazy so at least they won't be claiming their hero "lineage" goes back hundreds of years and the costumes will be much brighter

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                I think the RLSH movement and the idea of a "superhero school" are both pretty silly, but its a little refreshing to hear heroic ideals taught alongside martial arts, which are usually taught alongside yuppie parents with ideals about how martial arts are for SELF DEFENSE ONLY and how fighting is NEVER, EVER the answer, and how the REAL martial artist ALWAYS WALKS AWAY FROM A FIGHT. But I'm also against a false sense of confidence that martial arts can bring, and I reckon teaching turn kicks and heroic ideals to superhero obsessed kids is a recipe for a kid to pick fights with bullies who can probably beat up a scrawny yellow belt or whatever.
                I am pretty much against moral ideals being taught alongside martial arts altogether, except insofar as they directly relate to martial arts training itself (don't be a dick to your uke, etc.). Morihei Ueshiba's philosophy didn't stop Steven Seagal from being the biggest douchebag in the known universe. The Tenets of Taekwondo didn't stop Angel Matos from kicking an Olympic judge in the face. And what qualifies a martial arts instructor to be a moral authority, anyway?

Comment

I like the idea, kind of reminds me of the Jedi academies i've heard about. I've always wanted to check one out. I'm a fairweather nerd though, don't really know enough about super hero lore to larp properly. I do know if there were a superhero school near me I'd have a hell of a lot of fun dojo storming as a villian(and I would be able to convince myself that i'm not just being a dick).

Comment

They should offer zombie defense classes. That would be honest advertisement at least.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlMatt View Post
                      I am pretty much against moral ideals being taught alongside martial arts altogether, except insofar as they directly relate to martial arts training itself (don't be a dick to your uke, etc.).
                      I'm a little torn. Though I have reservations, I do like the idea of students getting some direction, regarding how they apply the skills they are being taught, in (and out of) the gym.

Not so much moral authority stuff, more like steering the change that martial training/ability brings upon someone, toward something constructive for society in general.

This actual superhero thing? Not sure. Guardian Angels 2.0 with gadgets. Gotta be lots of gadgets, in which case, as technology available to ordinary civilians increases exponentially, there could be some effect there, some day.

Less lethal civilian crime busters? Stranger things have happened.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
                        I'm a little torn. Though I have reservations, I do like the idea of students getting some direction, regarding how they apply the skills they are being taught, in (and out of) the gym.

Not so much moral authority stuff, more like steering the change that martial training/ability brings upon someone, toward something constructive for society in general.
                        Who decides what's constructive, though? The instructor? Who says he knows any better than I do?

Comment

Who decides what's constructive, though? The instructor? Who says he knows any better than I do?
                          Nothing requires they be better, to offer a little sound advice along with the martial training. Not someone telling students how to set their table, or how to dress/speak, mind you.

Something along the lines of "now you're getting some combat skill, try not to get into too many fights, if you can avoid them, and respect what you can now do to your average person, and what the law will do to you if you fuck up".

We were encouraged, from time to time, to "keep it in the gym". That meaning, don't wail on people just because you can.

I didn't feel preached to, and took the advice to heart.

That's all I mean. I don't like the "hey let me teach you to take people apart, and whatever you do outside of the gym doesn't matter to me" attitude. Instructors (rightly) only have so much say in a students life, but nudging them toward not abusing people with their skills, I don't think would hurt.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well you do. Which is why you seek the training in the first place. In all sorts of ways you are being trained in how to think when you do martial arts. That is just the reality of training.
                            Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                            http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

As should surprise nobody, I have a decent number of contacts in the RLSH community, and even created my own recreational crimefighting identity (Super-King, King of Superheroes) to wandering around Chicago with a bunch of them once.
                              Anyways, in my experience, they range from Delightfully Eccentric to Clearly Off Their Meds.
                              Anyways, god bless them, every one. Are there more effective avenues of social justice? Probably. Are there more entertaining avenues of social justice? HELL NO.
                              The fool thinks himself immortal,
                              If he hold back from battle;
                              But old age will grant him no truce,
                              Even if spears spare him.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X