Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Layton Walmart employees fired after disarming gunman caught shoplifting

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ting.html?pg=1

so i guess stealing from walmart is as easy as taking what you want and pulling a gun?
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Comment

I like how they compare an employee following someone outside of the store to, being in a single exit closed room with a gun involved.

Comment

"The four workers were full-time employees. Stewart had been with the company for more than 12 years. Poulsen, who was employed for more than seven years, had made Walmart a career. Ray said his dismissal kept him from purchasing a home."

Oh, nice.
        Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
        click here to order on Amazon

Comment

Employee loyalty? What's that?

Comment

Wally world is a 3rd world employer operating in the 1st world. Expected but still sad.

Comment

I'd sue the shit out of them for firing me for defending myself. I'd also make the biggest public stink imaginable and shame them into paying me a large sum of money to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by devil View Post
                I'd sue the shit out of them for firing me for defending myself. I'd also make the biggest public stink imaginable and shame them into paying me a large sum of money to go away.
                I cant imagine this not happening at some point. As soon as they lawyer up the company will fall over itself trying to settle this out of court.

Comment

Sue 'em for what?

Comment

Originally posted by Rivington View Post
                    Sue 'em for what?

Wrongful termination. Although the employees did not follow what is allegedly the protocol for dealing with this situation, they could argue that since the blanket policy does not specifically cover the circumstance, they were forced to improvise.

And in any case, it wouldn't get to court, I am sure the company would settle.

Comment

Any workplace regulation that puts employees in danger (ie - preventing them from defending themselves) is a legal ass whipping waiting to happen. It's one thing to say "Don't go around stomping shoplifters". It's another thing to say "If someone puts a gun to your head, smile politely and let them have their way". Shit ain't gonna' fly.

Comment

If I was him, I'd wait till my boss was at Walmart and demand my job back at gunpoint. Apparently his boss' job would be in jeopardy if he doesn't comply.

Comment

Originally posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
                          Wrongful termination
                          Good luck with that.

And in any case, it wouldn't get to court, I am sure the company would settle.
                          And you base that on what? Certainly not Wal-Mart's recent legal behavior—check out their sex discrimination lawsuit, which they are happily taking to the Supreme Court.

Originally posted by devil
                          Any workplace regulation that puts employees in danger (ie - preventing them from defending themselves) is a legal ass whipping waiting to happen.
                          That's what you think.

Comment

We should write letters to Wal Mart about this. Demand the employees be reinstated and given special Wal Mart medals for valor in combat. :p

EDIT: By the way, people should simply not shop at Wal Mart.

EDIT 2: From the same article

Stories of similar firings exist, including one in Kansas last May. A Walmart worker in Wichita was fired when she followed a man outside the store and demanded proof that he had purchased a computer. The man, according to news reports, kicked and hit the woman before letting go of the computer and running away. She was not an asset protection associate or a manager, and a spokesperson at that time contended she violated company policy and put herself and others in danger.
                            Man, Wal Mart is firing the very employees who are willing to risk life and limb to save the corporation a few hundred dollars.
                            Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 2/22/2011 10:06pm, .
                            Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

When I worked for Target back in the day, they told us very blatantly to not try to stop a robber and to cooperate with their demands, and to do otherwise would probably cost us our jobs. They based this off of the many heroic attempts that failed horribly.
                              I'm not saying I'm with Wally on this; but I'm pretty sure these guys knew the company wasn't behind their actions.
                              Then again, maybe they were blinded by their own awesomeness.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X