X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BackFistMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Holy thread resurrection! This thing was started in 2004. It is a veritable treasure trove of classic bullshido posters. Justme. Ronin. Aus. Anthony. Jeez Louis. And lol at how a couple of guys keep responding to posts in this thread every 6 months or so!
    It took the forum about a year to find the thread this time.

Leave a comment:

• toddjutsu
    replied
    Mr. Tegner

He is past due his credit. I recall being in a bookstore when I was very young, after looking through comic books, seeing a book with a guy throwing a guy. I picked it up and glanced through it. My dad seen me with it, and asked "if you want it, put the comics back". I came home with that book Mr. Tegner Judkado. It started me down my martial art path. Was it as detailed and great as what we have today, no way. But, think of the time, that was the only real source of "quality" information and am sure a great many artist got their start from it. It was a time before the "explosion" of material, when there was very few schools in every town, and few knew what karate or judo was. I do recall, seeing "bad day at black rock" on TV, and the scene with one armed Spencer Tracy against Ernest Borgnine, inspired me. Later, is when I found out of course it was Mr. Tegner who did the work. I think he deserves credit.

Leave a comment:

• JudOWNED
    replied
    Holy thread resurrection! This thing was started in 2004. It is a veritable treasure trove of classic bullshido posters. Justme. Ronin. Aus. Anthony. Jeez Louis. And lol at how a couple of guys keep responding to posts in this thread every 6 months or so!

Leave a comment:

• The Cap
    replied
    Originally posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    (plus ca change, plus ca meme chose)

Leave a comment:

• jukado1
    replied
    Bruce Tegner.

Originally posted by Stumpmonster View Post
    I have written a 37 page,7000 word biography of bruce tegner complete with 2 dozen photos. I have tried to make it more in-depth by contacting some of his former students via the internet, as i have had no reply from anyone the book will have to stand as it is. If anyone would like a copy,leave a message on this site and i'llseewhat i can do.
    mr. Morgan, I thought I did get back to you on yahoo email,

Leave a comment:

• Stumpmonster
    replied
    Bruce Tegner biog.

I have written a 37 page,7000 word biography of bruce tegner complete with 2 dozen photos. I have tried to make it more in-depth by contacting some of his former students via the internet, as i have had no reply from anyone the book will have to stand as it is. If anyone would like a copy,leave a message on this site and i'llseewhat i can do.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpmonster
    replied
    email reply

Originally posted by jukado1 View Post
    Mr. Morgan, I can be reached at jukado1at yahoo.com, I'm always glad to discuss Bruce Tegner,
    I sent a message to the email address given,this was on the 16th dec. i hope you recieved it as i am looking forward to having a discussion on Bruce Tegner with you.

Leave a comment:

• Chili Pepper
    replied
    if you read the judo/karate and self-defense books, you'll see that what was written is still valid to this day, the aikido and kung fu books used his name but the work that was shown was done by individuals with rank in those arts.,
    I'd always wondered about that - whatever bios I've seen about him, they never mention him having any kung fu background. Considering the time period, it wasn't that odd to have someone just make things up (plus ca change, plus ca meme chose) so I just assumed that was the case.

Any info on who was in the kung-fu book?

Leave a comment:

• jukado1
    replied
    Mr. Morgan, I can be reached at jukado1at yahoo.com, I'm always glad to discuss Bruce Tegner,

Leave a comment:

• Stumpmonster
    replied
    Bruce Tegner:- Martial arts pioneer

Originally posted by jukado1 View Post
    Mrtnira: Sorry to be so late here, Bruce sold his school in Hollywood Ca. In 1967 and moved to Ventura, Ca. He was semi retired from the martial arts world, He continued to work on his books, And taught some judo and police science at Ventura City College, And he kept his hand in self defense by teaching some self-defense programs at some local recreation centers and YMCA'S, For his free time, Through the last contact I had with Bruce, About 1983, He continued his education, Every year he took 1 Academic class and the next semester he took some form of physical or recreation class.
    Bob Rosenbaum/jukado1
    Hello Jukado1

I had 4 of Mr.Tegners books back in the early 70s when i started training, they were recomended by my then Karate instructor and i found them very clear and accurate. The books were Karate, the complete book of Karate, Aikido and holds and locks and the complete book of Jukado self defence. In the early 80s i started to train using the Jukado book as a guide with my training partner and completed the training through advanced brown belt, this i feel really helped me in my later training as most of the basics had been covered. Just recently i have got back into training after a 10 year layoff and have also become more interested in Mr Tegner's legacy. I am currently puting together a biography of Mr.Tegner and would appreciate any info or help you could give me. I am not doing this for commercial gain,just out of interest and respect and when it is finnished i will be happy to send copies out free of charge ( this year i have written books on the history of the two Judo clubs i studied at in the mid seventies ). I seem to remember contacting you via email seven or eight years ago and you were good enough to reply ( although i can't remember exactly what we discussed ) .That old email address is no longer valid now. I would really like to here anybodys recollections of Mr.Tegner and i feel that you have been his greatest advocat online so i think you are the best person to start with.

Kind Regards
    Shaun Morgan

Leave a comment:

• Mogul
    replied
    Instructors in New York?

Bob, can you recommend any instructors in the New York City area? I had all of Bruce's books as a kid, but I don't know of any schools teaching Jukado, and searches haven't come up with anything. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• jukado1
    replied
    Mrtnira: Sorry to be so late here, Bruce sold his school in Hollywood Ca. In 1967 and moved to Ventura, Ca. He was semi retired from the martial arts world, He continued to work on his books, And taught some judo and police science at Ventura City College, And he kept his hand in self defense by teaching some self-defense programs at some local recreation centers and YMCA'S, For his free time, Through the last contact I had with Bruce, About 1983, He continued his education, Every year he took 1 Academic class and the next semester he took some form of physical or recreation class.
    Bob Rosenbaum/jukado1
    Last edited by jukado1; 5/28/2011 2:41pm, . Reason: t

Leave a comment:

• mrtnira
    replied
    I use Bruce Tegner's books today.

I use Bruce Tegner's books today.

In my progressive years of study, now approaching 30 years, increasingly his works become clearer and more useful. Today some books are more comprehensive, but the basics that Mr. Tegner presented were for the masses and he did a great job of communicating the basics clearly. He also was careful to discuss reasonable force, which is a legal principle, and he kept training methods and demonstrated techniques reasonable and free of aggrandizement.

I am wondering how his last years were spent? Does anyone know? He died relatively young, in his 50's. It is very easy to overlook men like Mr. Tegner in our overwhelming present, but it would be good to honor him and keep his better books available. They represent a period in American combatives training, in legal understanding, and in book publishing style.

Leave a comment:

• Mtripp
    replied
    Interesting.... however...

Most high level combative teachers suggest senior's fake a heart attack and collapse to the ground when faced with such an assault. This has a very high success rate, a dear friend of mine saved his life that way. Simply put, if the person dies, for whatever reason, during the assault, that is felony murder and we are taking serious jail time.

Now, as to Bruce. Bruce felt personal self-defense should be like CPR something everyone had some solid knowledge of, but would not require on going training. It is interesting to note that Fairbairn's program for the Home Guard was based on this concept, and it worked well for its context.

I am not saying I agree with it, but lets at least understand the context of his statements.

Leave a comment:

• Mtripp
    replied
    Ummm..... how to say this....

There is stuff here that is just not correct, time lines are messed up, and some books listed (American Combat Judo for one example) that Mr. Tenger had nothing to do with.

I have most if not all the books he ever wrote. I have the ones from Thor press all the way through to the Bantam ones. Most of them are simply no where near the epic books of the same era such as Dynamic Judo or This is Karate.

More interesting to me is most people do not bring up, and this is no different, that Mr. Tenger, while in the Air Force, was part of the famous martial art training program for US Airmen. You can find him on some old Judo film, transfered to DVD and sold by Budo video.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X