Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 things I hate about law enforcement and military shows.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    10 things I hate about law enforcement and military shows.


    1. Give me that before you hurt yourself:

    2. Oh what the hell why not?:
    3. Uniformed Cops as props:5. Kill em and Leave em:6. Nuclear Grenades: 7. Crappy Salutes: Need I elaborate? Some of these actors salutes would make a Drill Sergeant break out in hives.

    8. Weird Science:9. Tuck that thing in:

    #2
    You mean you can't shoot a gun out of the bad guy's hand? ;)

    Comment


      #3
      Law and order, SVU aka "the sex police".

      In New York City, on the basis of this show you do not need a warrant to conduct a search of a house or apartment. While there is an exigent circumstances exception to the 4th amendment, every single search for evidence or a person, apparently falls into this category.

      Law and Order

      The prosecutor gets to give monologues before asking his question two minutes later. Defense counsel does not object, and guilty defendant or shifty witness never asks "what exactly were you asking?" To watch it done properly see a tape of Roy Black in action on court TV.

      Comment


        #4
        i forget the title of the book, but i used to have a paperback about the fbi crime lab. very interesting stuff to nerds, nothing very glamorous though. stories about forensic guys crawling on the ground looking for a fleck of paint, or spending days trying to get a measurable amount of glass out of a bowling ball thrown through a window.

        tv is stupid

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Samuel Browning View Post
          Law and order, SVU aka "the sex police".

          In New York City, on the basis of this show you do not need a warrant to conduct a search of a house or apartment. While there is an exigent circumstances exception to the 4th amendment, every single search for evidence or a person, apparently falls into this category.

          Law and Order

          The prosecutor gets to give monologues before asking his question two minutes later. Defense counsel does not object, and guilty defendant or shifty witness never asks "what exactly were you asking?" To watch it done properly see a tape of Roy Black in action on court TV.
          I've noticed the lack of the 4th Amendment on television too.

          While I am no attorney, I can only imagine the procedural screw ups that they write into these shows.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Sikaranista View Post
            You mean you can't shoot a gun out of the bad guy's hand? ;)

            I read that as a baby's hand.

            Now that's a cop show I'd watch!

            Comment


              #7
              No we cant piece a broken bottle together and get a fingerprint off of it.
              Sweeeeeeeet, I just found my murder weapon of choice, thanks.

              God that's so much more practical than my old method of waiting until winter when I could stab them with an icicle.

              Comment


                #8
                My world just shattered. Can they track you using satellite imagery?
                GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                Originally posted by Devil
                I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                I <3 Battlefields...

                Comment


                  #9
                  I actually prefer my LE/military shows to have some inaccuracies, as long as there aren't too many. If they made shows that were realistic, they would likely be incredibly boring.

                  Edit: Look at burn notice. That show survives on deus ex machina, but still manages to show a small amount of realistic stuff, and is really entertaining.
                  Last edited by Cassius; 9/29/2009 2:12pm, .
                  "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Cassius View Post
                    I actually prefer my LE/military shows to have some inaccuracies, as long as there aren't too many. If they made shows that were realistic, they would likely be incredibly boring.
                    Granted. If cop shows were like reality, you would have to watch months worth of episodes of traffic arrests, shoplifters and domestics before you found anything "exciting" like a chase or a shooting.

                    "Creative License" to give a good story is one thing, needless crap like loading your weapon at the subjects door is just plain silly.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Honestly, the cocking of weapons is a dramatic flair that I've come to accept. I never roll out without one in the chamber, but it is dramatic and cool looking.
                      "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

                      Comment


                        #12
                        #2 Bothers me, #10 a bit too.
                        The others I just kinda accept or don't care about. Yes, I know a frag grenade is more like a tile-covered firecracker than a room full of gasoline vapor, but I get to see big 'splosions!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          What's your opinion on documentaries or documentary-style television shows?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Conde Koma View Post
                            What's your opinion on documentaries or documentary-style television shows?
                            Not really sure what type of show you are talking about. Do you have an example?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Well, Cops is the most obvious example. I was watching this one show about an undercover cop in a skinheads gang too, but I don't remember the program it was under.

                              Essentially, shows that are meant to be interpreted as non-fiction, with footage of interviews and LEOs in action, etc. Do you think they are portrayed well or not?

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X