Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

this is why you teach your kids about weapons

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    this is why you teach your kids about weapons

    i just got back home from teaching archery at a jewish day camp. none of the kids or full time counselors had ever shot before. i was expecting to have to go over safety for about 20 mins and shoot for an hour. instead we had to go over safety for 45 minutes before we could just start shooting. even the adult counselors couldn't figure out not to draw a bow unless it's pointed at a target.

    even after we were starting, another counselor started a potato sack race behind our targets. when i asked her to move, she said "it's alright, the targets are blocking us"

    i'm actually really glad i did this today, because otherwise, the kids would have never gotten any safety instruction with weapons.

    over all the day turned out fine, nobody got hurt or shot, the single hassidic women got some eye candy (me, the hassidic badboy of west county) and the kids did start hitting the targets with accuracy and consistancy.

    so yes, to any parents out there, 10 years old is more than old enough to start shooting air rifles and bows. plus, they will carry the safety lessons with them for life.

    #2
    Originally posted by white_kimbo View Post
    so yes, to any parents out there, 10 years old is more than old enough to start shooting air rifles and bows. plus, they will carry the safety lessons with them for life.
    Hehe, last summer I was at a bbq thing with things to do, one of them was laser shotgun clay shooting things, the barrel was blocked up with lasers and battery packs, but they were 'real' shotguns, I still observed safety with it regarding those around me and kept wanting to break the barrel when it wasn't in use.

    Ironically I couldn't shoot for shit, and the guy running it noticed I had shot before as soon as I shouldered it, said it was normal to miss, because it wasn't real, it doesnt work normally. Clay shooting LARPing I guess.

    Comment


      #3
      i've seen the laser tag version of clay shoots before. they suck big time.

      and i feel you on the safety with the toy guns. i do the same thing.

      Comment


        #4
        I started archery at 8... Unfortunately though my parents bought me a toy bow and arrow after my first instruction in the scouts... they were still made out of wood in those days. I proceeded to take the rubber tips off the arrows and shot my sister in the head... yeah. I got a whipping and a grounding... and I felt terrible because it left a massive bruise on her forehead. I also had walked up to her and did it execution style. After that, I never felt tempted to shoot another person again.

        So yeah... supervised use of weapons at that age is a good idea :) Because kids will be kids (dumb).

        Comment


          #5
          my dad taught me with a browning .22 LR when i was in kindergarten. his words "if you're old enough to read, you're old enough to shoot a gun. just make sure it's a children's gun and not a grown up's gun."

          Comment


            #6
            I did archery for a little while when I was a kid. While totally trying to hit the target I managed to put an arrow into the ceiling at the local range. I bet it's still there!

            Good times, good times.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by white_kimbo View Post
              even the adult counselors couldn't figure out not to draw a bow unless it's pointed at a target.

              even after we were starting, another counselor started a potato sack race behind our targets. when i asked her to move, she said "it's alright, the targets are blocking us"...
              Jesus. Yaah, double lesson: kids aren't dumb, they just don't know any better. Adults are dumb.

              I used to do archery back in the UK. if you screwed up...boy, you were so off the range and doing drills and shit for the rest of the day. If you crossed that line, or ignored a verbal command... adult or kid.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by white_kimbo View Post
                another counselor started a potato sack race behind our targets. when i asked her to move, she said "it's alright, the targets are blocking us".
                :psyduck:

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by white_kimbo View Post
                  my dad taught me with a browning .22 LR when i was in kindergarten. his words "if you're old enough to read, you're old enough to shoot a gun. just make sure it's a children's gun and not a grown up's gun."
                  Some day, when I have kids (scary thought), this is the philosophy I will go by.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    My grandma was telling me the other day about how she remembers me being 6 years old shooting in her backyard with a pellet gun.

                    If I ever have kids, they are going to start young.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Greetings.

                      Originally posted by Darwin Award Nominee
                      it's alright, the targets are blocking us
                      And the award goes to........

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by FictionPimp View Post
                        If I ever have kids, they are going to start young.
                        June 18th, I took my 4.5 year old to the range for the first time. Quote,"THIS IS AWESOME, THIS IS AWESOME, THIS IS SOOOO AWESOME!!!" and " I WANT TO SHOOT AGAIN, MAY I SHOOT AGAIN, LET ME SHOOT AGAIN!!!" All caps 'cause he was loud.

                        Teach 'em young.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          My first firearms safety lesson came at the age of 5, from my grandfather. I pointed a toy pistol at him, and in the one and only time I ever heard him raise his voice (he was a huge man - he never had a need to get loud) he proceeded to instruct me on the basics of firearm safety.

                          He was also the guy who helped me make toy wooden guns and crossbows, thus completing the circle of life.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by white_kimbo View Post
                            i just got back home from teaching archery at a jewish day camp. none of the kids or full time counselors had ever shot before. i was expecting to have to go over safety for about 20 mins and shoot for an hour. instead we had to go over safety for 45 minutes before we could just start shooting. even the adult counselors couldn't figure out not to draw a bow unless it's pointed at a target.

                            even after we were starting, another counselor started a potato sack race behind our targets. when i asked her to move, she said "it's alright, the targets are blocking us"

                            i'm actually really glad i did this today, because otherwise, the kids would have never gotten any safety instruction with weapons.

                            over all the day turned out fine, nobody got hurt or shot, the single hassidic women got some eye candy (me, the hassidic badboy of west county) and the kids did start hitting the targets with accuracy and consistancy.

                            so yes, to any parents out there, 10 years old is more than old enough to start shooting air rifles and bows. plus, they will carry the safety lessons with them for life.
                            This is what happens to a community that exports all of its gun nuts to the holy land. Nothing makes me more nervous than Woody Allen with an Autoshot.

                            We have had a rule in my house since KK could walk: never point anything that even looks like a gun at a person. You never know what you might have in your hands.

                            I got rid of all of my guns when he was born.
                            Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


                            KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

                            In De Janerio, in blackest night,
                            Luta Livre flees the fight,
                            Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
                            Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by resolve View Post
                              I started archery at 8... Unfortunately though my parents bought me a toy bow and arrow after my first instruction in the scouts... they were still made out of wood in those days. I proceeded to take the rubber tips off the arrows and shot my sister in the head... yeah. I got a whipping and a grounding... and I felt terrible because it left a massive bruise on her forehead. I also had walked up to her and did it execution style. After that, I never felt tempted to shoot another person again.

                              So yeah... supervised use of weapons at that age is a good idea :) Because kids will be kids (dumb).
                              i guess i'm as sick as you are, because that's fucking hilarious.

                              i don't know how i'd handle it if my son did something like that to my daughter. it'd be hard to trust a kid who did something like that with any sharp objects... damien, come out to play-ay.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X