No announcement yet.

Its time stock up your arsenal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, I'm a noob here and hope you don't mind me jumping in. Do you guys have any recommendations for an inexpensive but reliable AR-15? Any manufacturers I should steer clear of? I'm on a tight budget so I'm not looking for top of the line, but I don't want to buy garbage either.

Comment

^^^ you get what you pay for so be careful.

A lot of this discussion is pointless for the time being; I can't find a single AR lower anywhere on the Internet. They're all out of stock.

Edit: Except Gunbroker and some of those prices are ridiculous.

http://www.southernmichiganarms.com These guys are good though, so they're likely to have some in stock as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost
        ^^^ you get what you pay for so be careful.

A lot of this discussion is pointless for the time being; I can't find a single AR lower anywhere on the Internet. They're all out of stock.

http://www.southernmichiganarms.com These guys are good though, so they're likely to have some in stock as soon as possible.
        Do most people buy them in parts and then assemble them, or do you typically buy it "off the shelf"? Is it possible to get a decent finished product for around $1000? Are there any features that are "a must", or are there any goodies that people typically buy but aren't necessarily necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by bigpappaferg
          Do most people buy them in parts and then assemble them, or do you typically buy it "off the shelf"? Is it possible to get a decent finished product for around $1000? Are there any features that are "a must", or are there any goodies that people typically buy but aren't necessarily necessary?
          Yeah, you can get a decent-good AR for under 1K.

Honestly, a lot of the baubles aren't necessary. You can get a headshot on a target at 300 yards with just the iron sights with practice.

Comment

Most plain-jane AR-15's are under 1K.

Phrost is right, it is hard to miss with iron sights at 100-yrds, and you still should have rounds on target at 300-yds. At 500-yds, your front sight will completely cover a man-sized target. Practice, practice, practice...

Comment

Originally posted by Phrost
              Yeah, you can get a decent-good AR for under 1K.

Honestly, a lot of the baubles aren't necessary. You can get a headshot on a target at 300 yards with just the iron sights with practice.
              Nice, good to know. The site you linked to in your previous post has several models from Stag Arms available. Are they a decent brand? If I get something chambered in 5.56 NATO can I also shoot .223 with it without modification? Are there any other calibers I should consider in terms of price for ammo or ammo availability. I'd hate to buy something that I can't afford to shoot. :)

Comment

You really need to do more research on your own before you buy. I'm not saying that to be a dick. There are a shitload of options to consider when buying an AR that will effect price and performance. If you don't do the research, you could figure out six months from now that you could've gotten X, which would've been better for you.

Do you want a heavy barrel? What length barrell do you want? How many twists? Do you want a flat top? Which trigger do you want? Which bolt carrier do you want? Do you want a compensator? Etc, etc. You can trick it out any way you want as far as optics, grips, and that sort of thing go. But as far as the types of things listed above, you want to know what you're buying and why. It's a lot of money. Take the time to do the research, and you'll be happier down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by devil
                  You really need to do more research on your own before you buy. I'm not saying that to be a dick. There are a shitload of options to consider when buying an AR that will effect price and performance. If you don't do the research, you could figure out six months from now that you could've gotten X, which would've been better for you.

Do you want a heavy barrel? What length barrell do you want? How many twists? Do you want a flat top? Which trigger do you want? Which bolt carrier do you want? Do you want a compensator? Etc, etc. You can trick it out any way you want as far as optics, grips, and that sort of thing go. But as far as the types of things listed above, you want to know what you're buying and why. It's a lot of money. Take the time to do the research, and you'll be happier down the road.
                  I understand your point, but having never fired a rifle before I don't really have a grasp on what effect the various options are even going to have. Hence the desire to ask the guys that have more experience with them. I'm not looking to become an expert marksman, I just want to have one as a "little piece of insurance" in case the crap ever hits the fan, so to speak, and I need to defend the family. The AR-15 has always been on my "someday" wish list, now I'd like to grab one while it's still legal to do so.

Comment

Get a barebones flat top with detachable carry handle 16 inch barreled model and then as you learn more about the gun you can do whatever you want with it.

Hawkeye has recommended stag as the best among the inexpensive models, I have a bushmaster that's tickin along pretty well.

This is how I bought it, standard "post ban" configuration back in like 2002-2003

This is how it is now:

It was very easy to make it go from A-B and having the standard carbine gave me enough of an idea to figure out where I wanted to take it.

Also, you'll always be able to swap out the upper receiver for many different configurations on the same lower. There's no need to figure it all out right now.

Edit: On the upside, you're better off then I was when i got mine because I got mine during the original "assault weapons ban" so I couldn't have acollapsible stock or athreaded barrell or a flash hider and stuff. You're one up and can do things better the first time around. Get something with a threaded barrel and a collapsible stock. My current upper is 1:9 twist which allows the widest range of ammo and probably a good choice to start with so you can shoot cheap and plentiful 55grain ammunition.
                    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 11/10/2008 1:57pm, .

Comment

Cool, tricking out your guns doesn't only makes your dick bigger, it also apparently enlarges your boobs.

Comment

I wish tricking out the gun would do that because then I would have saved a lot of money and been able to buy more guns.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaTrocity
                          I wish tricking out the gun would do that because then I would have saved a lot of money and been able to buy more guns.
                          On the guns or the boobs?

Comment

Originally posted by bigpappaferg
                            I understand your point, but having never fired a rifle before I don't really have a grasp on what effect the various options are even going to have. Hence the desire to ask the guys that have more experience with them. I'm not looking to become an expert marksman, I just want to have one as a "little piece of insurance" in case the crap ever hits the fan, so to speak, and I need to defend the family. The AR-15 has always been on my "someday" wish list, now I'd like to grab one while it's still legal to do so.

I'm not saying don't ask. I'm just saying that you should take the time to do some reading in addition to asking questions here.

Comment

Buying an AR for monetary speculation isn't a bad thing. They'll increase in value despite any proposed regulation. But, as far as a defensive weapon goes, my choice would be an 870 for any sort of CQB stuff.

Anybody have a Spikes Tactical AR? I ordered a few of thier lower receivers last week. They appear to be decent.

I'm thinking of getting an AR10 lower as well (probably Armalite)... Anybody have one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Colby
                                Buying an AR for monetary speculation isn't a bad thing. They'll increase in value despite any proposed regulation. But, as far as a defensive weapon goes, my choice would be an 870 for any sort of CQB stuff.

Anybody have a Spikes Tactical AR? I ordered a few of thier lower receivers last week. They appear to be decent.

I'm thinking of getting an AR10 lower as well (probably Armalite)... Anybody have one of these?
                                Well, from the defensive standpoint I was looking for something to use in an economic collapse/social unrest/go live on my family's mountain property and try to live off the land type and would want to be able to defend the farm/homestead type scenario. Hmmm, am I a little paranoid? Probably.:icon_sad:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X