Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bullshido in the marines?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by 3moose1
    So recently i went to a marine recruiter, and the gentleman and i were talking about the martial arts.

    As soon as he said this, i sighed beyond belief. I know first hand the MCMAP system is for rizzle, but i mean, ok, i'll quote



    this was complete with that fancy portrait the ATA gives you, that has you doing ridiculously high kicks, and wearing that fancy blackbelt.

    Now, i ask you, my general feeling on ninjitsu and all that shit is...well, shit.

    My general feeling on ATA tae kwon do and all that shit is...well, shit.


    And everything i've read about the black dragons fighting society leads me to believe that it is too much of t3h d34dly to discuss safely in person...so i bring it to teh interwebz.

    but he was on the marine corps tae kwon do team...and while A.T.A tkd may be useless in the for rizzle life, i think they probably do an adequate job of teaching you how to point-spar effectivle

    Is there any redeeming qualities about this recruiter? Is kogu-ryu ninjitsu somehow more...effective then all other shitty forms of ninjitsu?

    IS BDFS actually anything that is worth being a part of?

    Is this whole thing a shitload of fucking bullshido this unfortunate guy has bought into? (I know he could still kick my ass, he has that mcmap training under his black belt...yes, mcmap has a belt ranking system)
    Instead of coming here laughing about it why didn't you stand up and challange him to a circle of honour?

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by GuiltySpark
      Instead of coming here laughing about it why didn't you stand up and challange him to a circle of honour?
      I'm allergic to smoke bombs, and D1m m4k tickles.

      I figured it would be in bad taste to literally rofl in the marine recruiter office...

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by 3moose1
        I sang/screamed and played guitar in a few different rock bands.

        I used to play trumpet/baritone/tuba but i gave them up.

        I can't sight read music.

        A music major is out of the question :(
        So you're telling me that no matter how hard you try you can't hack it as a music major at a well-regarded university, but that you'll have no problems hacking it in the Marine Corps? :dontknow:

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
          So you're telling me that no matter how hard you try you can't hack it as a music major at a well-regarded university, but that you'll have no problems hacking it in the Marine Corps? :dontknow:
          Well when you put it like that...

          Comment


            #35
            1) Unless you are investigating bullshit in MCMAP or the Corps, this should not be here. If you just wanted to discuss joining the Armed Forces, you should start an appropriate thread in YMAS, not in MABS.

            2) The fact that none of you figured out that the a gentleman referenced in the OP was discussing his training in Ashida Kim's org is of great disappointment to me.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by pittfrog
              There's no such thing as an ASVAB too high for the infantry, but it's certainly possible that he might think that someone like the OP might not be happy in the infantry.
              Is anybody really happy in the Infantry? I mean, yeah, you have some good times (most notably on libbo, or when you're shooting things or playing with C4), but you really do have to deal with inhuman amounts of bullshit most of the time. Suprisingly, learning to deal with huge amounts of bullshit has benefitted me, so don't automatically discount the value of this.

              I also agree that there is no such thing as a max ASVAB score to be a grunt (my score was really high too---now I have a civil engineering degree). One of my best friends when I was in the Infantry had a Master's degree in Philosophy and insisted on being enlisted. He had the highest GT score in the unit.

              Recruiters certainly lie...its thier job. This shouldn't come as any suprise to anybody. They just have to lie more to some than others to get the sell. I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into, so they didn't bullshit me too much.

              Whoever recommended gettin gan MOS that requires language skills made a good call. However, if the OP does go into the USMC, the Corps will pick the language. Russian or Mandarin will always be good choices just from a business perspective though.

              Comment


                #37
                damnit, i just want free college...


                Because i don't have the money for college, and i'm not talented in areas taht will get me scholarships...the military is my only option for college

                unless i marry some rich broad...

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Colby

                  I also agree that there is no such thing as a max ASVAB score to be a grunt (my score was really high too---now I have a civil engineering degree). One of my best friends when I was in the Infantry had a Master's degree in Philosophy and insisted on being enlisted. He had the highest GT score in the unit.
                  Well, when you think about it, it would probably a very good and awesome thing if everyone in the infantry had a masters in philosophy...

                  Comment


                    #39
                    He was a scout/sniper in our batallion STA Plt. Good guy.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by 3moose1
                      damnit, i just want free college...


                      Because i don't have the money for college, and i'm not talented in areas taht will get me scholarships...the military is my only option for college

                      unless i marry some rich broad...
                      It's not really free. I discovered this pretty recently when I went back to school after getting out to the army. The GI bill covers a big portion of it but you'll still be stuck with a decent sized bill that you'll probably need a student loan to cover. If you take classes while your still in than you don't pay anything, but my unit wouldn't allow me or anyone else to go to school.
                      The best way to get free college from the military is an ROTC scholarship. You won't have to do anything until you graduate, and even then as a butter bar you'll make more than you ever did enlisted. Then you can get out and make the big bucks.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        There are a number of options with ROTC/Reserves for the Army. I have no idea about the USMC though. I did 4 years as a Recruiter for the Army in San Francisco (woohoo, what fun). I was also an Arabic linguist and Human Intelligence Collector. I can answer some generic questions about stuff, but nothing specific about the USMC. PM me if you have any questions.

                        No matter what, don't be afraid to ask questions and get up to walk away if you aren't getting what you want. Play hardball.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          you have to understand, i want to become a therapist...or a martial arts instructor...probably both, to be honest, because you don't exactly bank much as a martial arts instructor, when you start off...

                          i was thinking getting a masters in social work, to be able to open up my own clinic, HOWEVER, i could just get my masters in clinical psychology, and a minor in social work, and have impressive credentials and what not...

                          however, that junk is expensive....and i have no cash :(

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by 3moose1
                            you have to understand, i want to become a therapist...or a martial arts instructor...probably both, to be honest, because you don't exactly bank much as a martial arts instructor, when you start off...

                            i was thinking getting a masters in social work, to be able to open up my own clinic, HOWEVER, i could just get my masters in clinical psychology, and a minor in social work, and have impressive credentials and what not...

                            however, that junk is expensive....and i have no cash :(
                            I have my master's in counseling psychology. Seriously, if you're going to stop at the Master's level, go the social work route or the Marriage and Family Therapy route. The licensing is much easier, and the MFT license is nationally recognized. The licenses I need to get are state dependent. I recently moved, so now I have to go through the whole licensing thing again. Also, social work is an older and more respected (at the master's level) field. In the end, we all basically do the same thing and get pretty much the same training, but in some places, it will be easier to get a job with an MSW.

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Dude there is so much BS in the Marines about our MCMAP program it's ridicilous. I wouldn't listen to what any recruiter had to say about anything except what they were going to be serving at boot.

                              ATA Karate guys are a dime a dozen. They arent worth a crap. Same with the Shorin Ryu guys in Okinawa who train with Master Kise at Camp Butler.

                              It's all what you make of it. If you take MCMAP seriously then its good stuff. If not then its crap like everything else. Oh the body conditioning rocks by the way.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by bjjgame
                                I have my master's in counseling psychology. Seriously, if you're going to stop at the Master's level, go the social work route or the Marriage and Family Therapy route. The licensing is much easier, and the MFT license is nationally recognized. The licenses I need to get are state dependent. I recently moved, so now I have to go through the whole licensing thing again. Also, social work is an older and more respected (at the master's level) field. In the end, we all basically do the same thing and get pretty much the same training, but in some places, it will be easier to get a job with an MSW.
                                Yeah, MSWs can do alot of things...but, what is the difference, training wise, between counseling psych and an msw?

                                I'm good at 3 things, fighting (passibly) music, and helping people, lol.

                                plus fuck, man, my friend's therapist makes a fucking truckload, haha

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X