X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawfinski
    replied
    Thanks Dade

I like SOG...right now I carry a Flash 2. It's been decent knife, but I've got my eyes open as always.

Leave a comment:

• Dade_Murphy
    replied
    I perhaps overemphasized as well. You are likely to be like most American knife enthusiats, just as I am. Anyway, some of my recomms. are SOG Nightvision ( with a small mod, grinding down the sticking point and polishing, just enough to keep it closed with gravity) is an exceptional blade for carrying. Faster than a switch and stronger (may require many hours of re-edging, but totally worth it).
    Sorry for the man woman yada la. I am a serious collector and mod smith. If you have any questions>>> [email protected]>com

Leave a comment:

• Crawfinski
    replied
    I like collecting and I admire them, but it is by no meals a deal breaker :) Some of the above rhetoric was merely overemphasis. She doesn't mind the collecting, as long as it is within reason, but the $2000-$3000 knives upon which this thread was started are in no way within the bounds of my limits (even though I admire them greatly).

Leave a comment:

• Dade_Murphy
    replied
    After reading my German response... It sounds unfeeling. Basically you appreciate your gift, you like knives and you love your wife. Let her know that you like collecting knives until she understands that you would not want a secretness. She may get upset and tell you that you don't understand xthing that she also cherishes. From there you can get balance.

Leave a comment:

• Dade_Murphy
    replied
    No disrespect intended, but wouldn't you engage your wife in your hobbies? You would likewise have to indulge her's. It's probably not of great importance to you, but it might set a benchmark in your relationship. Remember that you lead the way. If you can engage her in your quirky hobbies and can accept her's, you might find that you have a closer relationship. IMO

Leave a comment:

• Crawfinski
    replied
    Money, I looked through your Sensei's gallery and those are some beautiful blades.

I'm one of those guys who admires knives and would have a very large collection of knives if I had way too much disposable income and a secret lair to store them in so that my wife would not find them. So, while I admire nice blades my "collection" is limited to a few folders and one interesting piece my wife picked up for me on a trip to Africa (I'll have to post an image of that in a little bit).

My limit is usually less than $100 for a knife that I'm going to carry regularly, but I usually shop around and make sure that it's at least from a somewhat reputable manufacturer. Anything more than $100 and my wife might start using them on me (The one I have my eye on now is a hissatsu folder).

For me, knives are tools that I use fairly regularly, with the off-chance that I "might" in a very crappy situation need to use one for self-defense purposes (and ONLY if someone else pulls a blade first). That has never happened and I pray it never does.

***decided to grab a pic of my blade while I was rambling on***

The humidity change from Mali to North America made the blade rust a little and I'm working on that. It's not the fanciest thing in the world, but I like it. She did well. I think she spent around $85 for it (which shocked me that she spent that much). This is one of those that sits on a shelf. It's my own little piece of Africa.

If I ever hit it rich and decide to invest in "artwork" it will be in nice antique-oriental weaponry.

Leave a comment:

• Dade_Murphy
    replied
    A note from a serious knife collector

I have been collecting knives since I was a young boy and I firmly believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are people that pay thousands of dollars for rare Nazi officers knives, and some rare Japanese pieces have gone for a million or more. To most collectors, use of a precioius blade is barely considered.
    I have a several knives for every possible purpose. I would only carry an extremely high end folder on special occasions like a wedding, funeral etc. You would be astonished how many knife afficianados are out there. I've been stopped by guys who can recognize and appreciate a blade just by the clip on my pocket. These forums are a bad place to get perspective... most people here would likely view a knife as a weapon or a tool, as opposed to fine artwork.
    If your father is a true collector... first consider your budget, then consider his inclinations (what type of blades he likes), then decide whether it is something you would want him to keep with him most of the time or whether it is something he would put in a case. Either way, if he is a collector, he will appreciate the gift with the utmost sentiment.

Leave a comment:

• dirtyd79
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyCache
    I always trip over the fact that if I use the thing I paid that much money for, it's probably going over a bridge or down a drain. I'd buy something like that as an investment/collector's item, though.
    Same here. I'm into fishing and one of the first things you learn in that hobby is never take anything you're not prepared to lose or get messed up. I'm not about to spend 3 grand on something I'm gonna use to chop up bait. Occasionally I visit sites like the ruptured duck looking at old German WW2 stuff but I see that kind of stuff as more an antique for display rather than a use it everyday thing.
    :car6:

Leave a comment:

• Vorpal
    replied
    Originally posted by Needs More Sleighbell
    Unique hand-made stuff from a talented smith can take a long time to create. I think my Sensei spent a year making this one :

http://home.comcast.net/~jeshern/bambootanto.htm

Damn, my sensei can't make a decent sandwich.

Leave a comment:

• money
    replied
    Originally posted by bricco
    Your sensei is Hernandez? Holy crap! Have you checked this stuff?
    http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=6220
    Yes. Actually, I've assisted him when he's smelted steel.

Leave a comment:

• bricco
    replied
    Originally posted by Needs More Sleighbell
    Unique hand-made stuff from a talented smith can take a long time to create. I think my Sensei spent a year making this one :

http://home.comcast.net/~jeshern/bambootanto.htm
    Your sensei is Hernandez? Holy crap! Have you checked this stuff?
    http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=6220

Leave a comment:

• mad_malk
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnnyCache
    I always trip over the fact that if I use the thing I paid that much money for, it's probably going over a bridge or down a drain. I'd buy something like that as an investment/collector's item, though.
    I can understadn that but i aproche knifes like guns,they are tools. better to spend a little extar on something i know is going to stand up and work when i need it. retention and maintince is my job. the tool doing what i need it to is it's job. some people like glock other like H&K both work well. then there are who knowes what brands.

Just my way of thinking on it.

Leave a comment:

• Carpe Noctem
    replied
    JC,

I've used and carried $400+ knives on deployment to some pretty shitty places. Never lost or broke them. You just look after your tools, that's all. I think the main thing is that most people have it in their heads that knives are "throwaway" tools, and can't wrap their head around paying that much for something when they never have before.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyCache
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Carpe Noctem
    replied
    A lot of the time, you're paying for the name, if it's a "big" maker. Ernie Emerson's shit is almost impossible to get, but then again, he was the one who popularized the whole tanto-point/chisel ground folder thing. Yes, you're paying for workmanship and yes, you're paying for the sometimes expensive materials used, but it's also influenced by what that maker's done in their field. You want expensive? Try getting something made by Bob Loveless or Bill Moran. They were pioneers in their field, and their prices reflect that. I think some Moran knives go for over $10,000 depending on size/model/steel/etc.

Of course, I love Ernie's knives, he makes great stuff. He's definitely not a maker resting on his laurels...it's just that once you get into that area, you're past the need for a simple cutting tool and are getting into the area of works of art.
    Last edited by Carpe Noctem; 12/22/2007 1:34pm, .

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X