Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a 1911, thoughts? Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 1911, thoughts? Recommendations?

I’ve wanted a 1911 for the past 5 years or so. I’ve done some research, but there’s a wealth of choices out there. Many of you are considerably more knowledgeable than I am, so I’d like to hear your thoughts.

This would be a home defense, take it to the range to practice gun. I’m not looking to compete with it. I lean toward the utilitarian options when it comes to firearms.

Chambered in .45 ACP of course.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Most important question: what is your budget?

Do you want a turnkey firearm or will you be doing some light customization with grips, sights, etc?

Is an ambidextrous safety important to you?

"No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius View Post
      Most important question: what is your budget?

Do you want a turnkey firearm or will you be doing some light customization with grips, sights, etc?

Is an ambidextrous safety important to you?
      I don’t really want to spend more than $1,500.

Light customization is fine. I usually have to modify the grips anyway. Most handgun grips feel too small in my hands.

Since I am left handed yes, an ambidextrous safety is preferable.

I like Kimbers the most so far. Gun with internal slide rails feel better to me.
      Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

I forgot you were left handed. It has been too long since we have been in regular communication.

Some Kimber models are very nice, and I don't think you'd regret purchasing one if you found one that you loved. Have you looked at Dan Wesson 1911s? I have shot some fairly nice custom 1911s and I think the Wessons compare favorably. Their 2020 1911A2 is very nice, though you might need to have an ambi safety added by them to maintain the warranty. Even with the added expense, I expect you would be well under your $1500 limit. They do have some ambi models, but I forget which ones. Look for a Dan Wesson dealer in your area who can get Cosmetic Seconds from them. In general it is difficult to tell why they were rejected, and they tend to be significantly cheaper than the normal version.

I have a Springfield Range Officer that I got a few months before their lobbying scandal. It shoots well but doesn't quite do it for me. I'm somewhere between adding thin VZ grips to slim it down and selling it with the rest of my .45acp ammo to free up space for a CZ75 variant.
        "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

I am not a 1911 expert but man a local store here had some gorgeous bob tailed Dan Wessons that are in that price range.
          Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
          George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X