No announcement yet.

Army NGSW Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say that problem has both strategic and tactical aspects that the U.S. fails to realize or execute successfully.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius View Post
      Literally every British unit that gets to choose their firearms has dumped the SA80. Bullpups in general are hard for a southpaw to get excited about, but the SA80 was crap from the start. I hear the most recent round of H&K mods to it have brought it up to "not dangerous to be carrying in combat," so there's that.
      Yeah I have yet to hear anything favorable about it from anyone that has actually been forced to use it.

Comment

Literally every British unit that gets to choose their firearms has dumped the SA80. Bullpups in general are hard for a southpaw to get excited about, but the SA80 was crap from the start. I hear the most recent round of H&K mods to it have brought it up to "not dangerous to be carrying in combat," so there's that.
        100% true. Any excuse to get away from it is taken.
        Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
          Stuck? Some proud Brit on Reddit insisted that it beats the M4A1 in every test imaginable...
          Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

The defense contractors always pay off top defense officials. Typically in a legal fashion, 18-24 months after they retire. With board memberships and such.
            Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
              I know that contracts always go to the lowest bidder
              This is why we often do see some RFP fuckery over here. Its to weed out the just a shit bid. Though we have one a few RFPs because pur proposal was better vs just being tge cheapest. Committees just picking the cheapest have an easy justification if ever called out.
              Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
              George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

NGSW purchase plan update:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...-coming-years/

Looks like this is happening. Also mentions the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach they are taking with the aiming device/optics. Incidentally as long as the NGSW supplements the M4 and actually does what it is supposed to do, it is probably a good thing.

Comment

I’m interested to see how the optics pan out:

‘The Army wants the unit to include a variable-powered optic for short and long range shooting, an integrated range finder, ballistic calculator and digital display capable of providing an adjusted aim point, according to budget documents.’

There’s a lot going on there. That’s not just a step up from any standard optics that anyone in Nato uses but a massive leap. If they can makes it compact enough, robust enough and capable of running efficiently enough on an energy source I’d be seriously impressed.
                  Last edited by Kovacs; 2/29/2020 8:26am, .
                  Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Part of the NGSW competition specifies that accessories are powered via a battery pack built into the rifle. If the competitors are able to deliver on that, optics, night vision, etc will be significantly lighter in weight and smaller in footprint than has previously been reasonable. Of course that is introducing a giant single point of failure into the system so lasers, lights, optics, etc will probably have to have some kind of removable rechargable batteries too.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X