No announcement yet.

Army NGSW Competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I get it now, when I saw the steel base on the round.

That thing must have some fierce muzzle blast
    In 16", lol.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
      Link to cartridge specs?

The recoil is going to be fairly stiff, if those specs are accurate.

Back it down to 2800, or 2650/2700 like a 7.62 150 or 165/168

And maybe...

A 6.5 Creedemore is 140 @ 2600, maybe.
      https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...duce-277-fury/

Comment

3000+ fps out of 16" barrel with 120-140 gr8. bullet?

It is a myth that faster burning powder equals more velocity in shorter barrel..

All the powder is burned in the first couple of inches.

Higher pressure causes more heat, causes throat and barrel erosion.
        As I said, I seriously question barrel life with this shit.

Comment

6.5 Creed does not meet the stated specs, by a whole bunch.
          No, it doesn't, but I think it meets the mission. Maybe.
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
            No, it doesn't, but I think it meets the mission. Maybe.
            Wonder how it would feed from a belt?

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

The new .338 Norma mag medium machine gun from general dynamics is pretty sweet. Something like 4x muzzle energy of 7.62x51 and longer precision fire range than .50 bmg (shorter area suppression fire range though). All in a package about the same size and weight as a 240B, though the ammunition is at least 33% heavier.

Also not really part of the discussion. And 6.5 Creedmoor, while being a phenomenal cartridge, does not meet the Army requirement for armor penetration.
              "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius View Post
                The new .338 Norma mag medium machine gun from general dynamics is pretty sweet. Something like 4x muzzle energy of 7.62x51 and longer precision fire range than .50 bmg (shorter area suppression fire range though). All in a package about the same size and weight as a 240B, though the ammunition is at least 33% heavier.

Also not really part of the discussion. And 6.5 Creedmoor, while being a phenomenal cartridge, does not meet the Army requirement for armor penetration.
                338 NM machine gun sounds awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                  As I said, I seriously question barrel life with this shit.
                  I think that can be overcome.

The Army will find out during testing.

Comment

I think that can be overcome.

The Army will find out during testing.
                    It will be overcome, when PRT catches up to the new load-out weight requirements.
                    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

It will be overcome, when PRT catches up to the new load-out weight requirements.
                      LOL, the .277 Furry is is based on the 7.62 NATO case, with added steel.

Basically, same "load out" as a 7.62 NATO, with a 140 gr. bullet.

Comment

LOL, the .277 Furry is is based on the 7.62 NATO case, with added steel.

Basically, same "load out" as a 7.62 NATO, with a 140 gr. bullet.
                        Yeah, but isn't this to replace the 5.56, per OP?

Comment

Yeah, but isn't this to replace the 5.56, per OP?
                          No, apparently not. I guess the guys shooting the new round (other than MG) won't need to carry so much ammo...

Comment

The belt fed variant will replace the SAW and the battle rifle is being touted as replacing the M4.
                            "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

No, apparently not. I guess the guys shooting the new round (other than MG) won't need to carry so much ammo...
                              You mean carry MORE ammo ;)
                              Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
                                You mean carry MORE ammo ;)
                                Yep, that is exactly what will happen.
                                Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X