Help Me Build an AR-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cassius View Post
    There are some amazing .223/5.56 rounds out there now. M855A1, brown tip/red tip, mk262, mk318, federal fusion MSR, FBI HRT TBBC, M193 with modern powder, black hills 50 gr tsx, black hills 5.56 77gr tmk, so many others. The cartridge has been pushed incredibly far beyond what the creators could have possibly intended.

It is incredibly versatile.
    Yeah, my older son shot his first deer (a nice doe) with the Federal Fusion (not MSR) load,out of a NEA HandiRifle. I was kinda skeptical, but it worked. Now I have no problem shooting whitetails witha .223 Rem.

100 yards, quartering towards us. Damned deer did a back flip, and landed dead. Not even a twitch or leg straightening.

Broke the right front lower leg, angled up. Recovered the bullet under the skin of the left ham (deer was uphill).
    Here ya go, blast from the past. I am about to post a video of him wrestling earlier this evening, you can compare the size differential (he is the one with the HandiRifle in hand).Son 2 has my Ruger #1 for posing purposes, he was too young to hunt big game at that time.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
      Yeah, my older son shot his first deer (a nice doe) with the Federal Fusion (not MSR) load,out of a NEA HandiRifle. I was kinda skeptical, but it worked. Now I have no problem shooting whitetails witha .223 Rem.

100 yards, quartering towards us. Damned deer did a back flip, and landed dead. Not even a twitch or leg straightening.

Broke the right front lower leg, angled up. Recovered the bullet under the skin of the left ham (deer was uphill).
      Here ya go, blast from the past. I am about to post a video of him wrestling earlier this evening, you can compare the size differential (he is the one with the HandiRifle in hand).Son 2 has my Ruger #1 for posing purposes, he was too young to hunt big game at that time.
      That's awesome to see your kids spending time in the outdoors and learning how to hunt. The only difference between federal fusion and fusion MSR is that the MSR is "optimized" for a shorter barrel. I think I read 16" somewhere but am not 100% on that.

Deer can be ethically harvested with .223/5.56. It is illegal to do so in Virginia, but whatever. If I had time to hunt I'd build out a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel upper for my SBR and probably use that. Or just use my 16" .308 AR.
      "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Comment

Or just use my 16" .308 AR.
        That's what I use, but I had to order a smaller mag to use for it. Which was actually pretty hard to get during hunting season. So, temporarily I modified the existing mag with a mouse trap so that it would only hold 3 rounds. I used that until the smaller one came in from back order.
        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
          That's what I use, but I had to order a smaller mag to use for it. Which was actually pretty hard to get during hunting season. So, temporarily I modified the existing mag with a mouse trap so that it would only hold 3 rounds. I used that until the smaller one came in from back order.
          Jeeze, a 7.62 with a 20" is loud enough for me.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Jeeze, a 7.62 with a 20" is loud enough for me.
            My 16" .308 has a Rugged Micro on it. I wouldn't call it quiet, but it won't ring the ears and isn't blasty at all. Wouldn't want to fire more than 2-3 rounds without ear pro, but definitely way better than an unsuppressed rifle.

Hoping to go to a local metering day in the next year or two and see how it measures at the ear. Port blast should be relatively limited because I have it tuned with a bleed off adjustable gas block, but I'd like to get real numbers for it.

Comment

My 16" .308 has a Rugged Micro on it. I wouldn't call it quiet, but it won't ring the ears and isn't blasty at all. Wouldn't want to fire more than 2-3 rounds without ear pro, but definitely way better than an unsuppressed rifle.

Hoping to go to a local metering day in the next year or two and see how it measures at the ear. Port blast should be relatively limited because I have it tuned with a bleed off adjustable gas block, but I'd like to get real numbers for it.
              Following this thread for reference later, maybe.

Why choose the 16" barrel for .308? Because suppressor added overall length?
              Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                Following this thread for reference later, maybe.

Why choose the 16" barrel for .308? Because suppressor added overall length?
                It's handier and you can still get decent performance with the correct loads.

Comment

I went with a 16" barrel because I wanted a relatively light weight rifle. The rifle weighs about 8lbs without the suppressor attached. I don't need more than that for what I built the rifle to do. Still easily a 600-800 yard gun.

Comment

I've been working on a design for a two part suppressor using flow diagnostics. Kinda shelved it for the moment but it's for .308.

Just spit balling-

Do you think a possible attenuating function for gas feed adjustment within the suppressor (pass/blow back) is optional to dial on a given rifle/ammo? For accuracy.

This would require a third part plus stop to lock in the setting.

Again, just spitballing.

Me thinks it's possible.
                    Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

When I got home for lunch and to pick up the Wife Unit, I had a box at the door.

The lower kit from BCMS came in. LOL, it's packaged in one of those fancy skin packs to hang on a display.

Anyway, my tools are not here yet, probably won't get them til next week.

I have an appropriate hammer, but no roll pin punches. I guess I could screw on the grip, LOL.

And maybe install the FCG. Not tonight though, I'm tired as shit.

Comment

Ordered one of those BCMS scratch/dent uppers for 59 bucks.

Prob will get an A1 stock/buffer/spring next.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                          I've been working on a design for a two part suppressor using flow diagnostics. Kinda shelved it for the moment but it's for .308.

Just spit balling-

Do you think a possible attenuating function for gas feed adjustment within the suppressor (pass/blow back) is optional to dial on a given rifle/ammo? For accuracy.

This would require a third part plus stop to lock in the setting.

Again, just spitballing.

Me thinks it's possible.
                          Unfortunately you're probably asking the wrong crowd. As far as precision and accuracy go, whatever the gases do (get contained in the blast chamber, flow through a series of structures that slow them and redirect them, etc), they need to do it uniformly if they are behind/around/in front of the projectile. Just as you need a uniform chamber, barrel, and crown, your suppressor needs to let the gases act on the projectile in a uniform manner or your accuracy and precision will suffer. Not helpful probably, but it's what I've got. Beyond that maybe troll around via Google patents to see what the big boys are doing.

Beyond that it's more about what you want the can to do. If you were designing this suppressor for low pressure rounds (e.g. pistol rounds or subsonic rifle ammo), your design would likely differ from a suppressor designed for high pressure rifle rounds. Same for designing it for a semi automatic rifle vs a repeater. Backpressure matters a whole lot for the former, and is largely irrelevant to the latter.

Comment

When I got home for lunch and to pick up the Wife Unit, I had a box at the door.

The lower kit from BCMS came in. LOL, it's packaged in one of those fancy skin packs to hang on a display.

Anyway, my tools are not here yet, probably won't get them til next week.

I have an appropriate hammer, but no roll pin punches. I guess I could screw on the grip, LOL.

And maybe install the FCG. Not tonight though, I'm tired as shit.
                            Well, you could, but don't forget about the spring and detent that goes in the grip, which will mean you will be working on that selector switch, which you need to do the FCG at the same time. :D I would just wait till you are ready to do all of it.
                            Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Well, you could, but don't forget about the spring and detent that goes in the grip, which will mean you will be working on that selector switch, which you need to do the FCG at the same time. :D I would just wait till you are ready to do all of it.
                              Speaking of detents. Get ready for a spring and detent to go flying around your shop. A lot of people will make sure to put something up to catch one in case it goes flying, or a sheet on the ground to find one. I personally bought a shit ton of detents and various springs just for that reason. The worst one is the one for the front pivot pin. It's a little tricky to get in when pushing the detent and spring in and sliding the pivot pin past at the same time.

I've got a tool that makes it really easy, but you can do it without. Just be ready for flying detents. :D

https://www.yellowstartactical.com/p...tm_content=All

I've seen these sold all over the place. Gun stores, gun shows, probably even amazon.
                              Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Comment

Speaking of detents. Get ready for a spring and detent to go flying around your shop. A lot of people will make sure to put something up to catch one in case it goes flying, or a sheet on the ground to find one. I personally bought a shit ton of detents and various springs just for that reason. The worst one is the one for the front pivot pin. It's a little tricky to get in when pushing the detent and spring in and sliding the pivot pin past at the same time.

I've got a tool that makes it really easy, but you can do it without. Just be ready for flying detents. :D

https://www.yellowstartactical.com/p...tm_content=All

I've seen these sold all over the place. Gun stores, gun shows, probably even amazon.
                                LOL yes, those things jump out at almost the same speed as the bullets.
                                Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

Working...
                                X