"The Severn"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Severn"

You have no idea how pissed off I get every time I hear that, then hear people discuss the technique.

First, I am the one who taught that move to Dan, and I have the video to prove it. Over the years Dan has ran from giving any credit to me for his training for UFC 5. I think the current story in print is he trained in Arizona. I simply suggest people look at the T-shirts from that UFC.

Second, it is not a "lack of technique" but in reality the "CVR" I was taught by the Japanese Police Department.

There is much more to it (like the muscle displacement) than appears to the casual viewer. However it works just as well as any RNC, and goes on faster than most.

What is it?

Comment

It is like the rear naked, but using the vice grip or gable grip. It is easier to use that grip to displace the muscles on the neck to get directly at the arteries than the figure 4 grip.

Coach tripp, do you think you can get the video up of that training? It would be awesome to see. Or were you referring to the ufc footage?

Comment

I can vouch for the fact that everyone around Dan after he wins is wearing a Tripp Academy shirt.

Mark, are you part of that ring invasion?
        Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
        Luta Livre flees the fight,
        Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
        Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Comment

Finding video will be tough as I am in the process of trying to figure out where I am going to live. Once settled, should be easy.

Years ago someone claimed I didn't train Severn so I sent free videos all over the place.

Nope, not in the crowd, someone had to stay and mind the store.

Comment

I don't know about the other fights, but there is a typical ring invasion after he beats Beneatau for the title.

8:18 YouTube - Dan Severn vs Dave Beneteau

Is Dan's MOM wearing a Tripp shirt? Funny. How'd you swing that?

Comment

In all honesty Mark your last name is almost impossible to use as the name for a move as it would lead to Abbot and Costelo moments

Me "So I choked this guy out with a Tripp"

Guy " You Tripped him?"

Me "No the choke is called a Trip, ok so there I was taking him down with a a nice Ouchi Ger..."

Guy "Whats that?"

Me" Well it's like a trip."

Guy " So you DID beat him with a Tripp."

Me "Yes ...wait... no ...hold on."

Guy " You just said you beat him with a Tripp and took him down with a trip so you won by Tripp?"

Me "Oh never mind it's called a Serven."

Comment

Originally posted by Goju - Joe View Post
                In all honesty Mark your last name is almost impossible to use as the name for a move as it would lead to Abbot and Costelo moments

Me "So I choked this guy out with a Tripp"

Guy " You Tripped him?"

Me "No the choke is called a Trip, ok so there I was taking him down with a a nice Ouchi Ger..."

Guy "Whats that?"

Me" Well it's like a trip."

Guy " So you DID beat him with a Tripp."

Me "Yes ...wait... no ...hold on."

Guy " You just said you beat him with a Tripp and took him down with a trip so you won by Tripp?"

Me "Oh never mind it's called a Serven."
                Bite me monkey boy!

and thanks for the laugh!

Comment

Mark, is that the sub you're talking about? I could never see it that clearly.

Comment

No, he beat Dave with an Ude Garami.

Joe Charles, his first match, he choked out with a cvr after a forearm to the neck which made Mr. Charles very goofy.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mtripp View Post
                      Over the years Dan has ran from giving any credit to me for his training for UFC 5.
                      Maybe you just sold his crew some shirts?

Severn has seemed to be one of the most unlikeable UFCers.

I'd wager that you aren't collecting his cards, available now at $3.99 from his site...
                      Last edited by patfromlogan; 6/24/2009 7:05am, .
                      "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

My experience with him first hand was that he was a very kind, humble guy.

Some people around him however....

Comment

Is Dan's MOM wearing a Tripp shirt? Funny. How'd you swing that?
                          That's his manager, not his mom.

YouTube - Dan Severn vs Joe Charles

It sucks, but ethically I won't be able to bring myself to call that The Severn anymore.

Comment

everybody I know just calls it a short choke. Never heard it called the severn. His fights always bored me to tears. Ultimate Ultimate anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                              That's his manager, not his mom.

YouTube - Dan Severn vs Joe Charles

It sucks, but ethically I won't be able to bring myself to call that The Severn anymore.
                              IIRC his mom WAS his manager.
                              Mark?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X