John Danaher and DDS systems questions megathread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Danaher and DDS systems questions megathread

Please drop any questions regarding John's systems below (or other Jiu Jitsu technique questions) and I will do my best to break them down from the DDS perspective! Be as specific as you want.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a member of the DDS, I am just familiar with many elements of the DDS approach and have studied John's systems extensively. It is the cornerstone of much of my game.

Comment

Also I wanted to add, chances are good I will know the answer to your questions right away, but on the off chance that I don't, I will research the answer for you and write out a good explanation to answer your question.

Comment

I figured I’d expand the conversation we started in the Bullshido Discord (oh shit there is a discord?!, fuck yeah there is).

So obviously the DDS system is known for their leg entanglement as well as their hybridized Japanese make it sound cooler names. So I tend to focus my leg entanglement game on a Hall style 50/50, Saddle position combined with a Bodycomb style Reaping game. However, Danaher like to focus on the Outside Ashi as a finishing position.

Now, if we playing a seated 1LX style game and my opponent isn’t too comfortable there and does a more old school turn out, I can block that with Outside Ashi and finish, same with people that lazily step over from 50/50. However, when I initiate that transition against experienced leg locker, I usually end up in Leg Drag.

Now I can bring the shin back across or do the Cummings Style feet on the hips and leg press, however, it doesn’t really negate ending in that poor position. I haven’t tried to much of Cumming’s shot gun grip on the calf, so that might be what I am missing to prevent getting smashed, now at the moment I usually just pass the leg back over to 50/50.

I like to hear your thoughts from a DDS System POV.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
          I figured I’d expand the conversation we started in the Bullshido Discord (oh shit there is a discord?!, fuck yeah there is).

So obviously the DDS system is known for their leg entanglement as well as their hybridized Japanese make it sound cooler names. So I tend to focus my leg entanglement game on a Hall style 50/50, Saddle position combined with a Bodycomb style Reaping game. However, Danaher like to focus on the Outside Ashi as a finishing position.

Now, if we playing a seated 1LX style game and my opponent isn’t too comfortable there and does a more old school turn out, I can block that with Outside Ashi and finish, same with people that lazily step over from 50/50. However, when I initiate that transition against experienced leg locker, I usually end up in Leg Drag.

Now I can bring the shin back across or do the Cummings Style feet on the hips and leg press, however, it doesn’t really negate ending in that poor position. I haven’t tried to much of Cumming’s shot gun grip on the calf, so that might be what I am missing to prevent getting smashed, now at the moment I usually just pass the leg back over to 50/50.

I like to hear your thoughts from a DDS System POV.
          I was thinking about this question for a while because I haven't experienced the same issue as you have, and when I ran through my head how I do the transition I realized the issue. You NEED to have the heel BEFORE moving to outside ashi. You can't do like other positions (1LX,50/50) where you get position before getting the heel. The heel control is really important here from the start.

I hope that helps!

Comment

Does DDS play with the Aoki (Z) lock at all? It something I been working during quarantine.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
              Does DDS play with the Aoki (Z) lock at all? It something I been working during quarantine.
              Some, but not as a primary attack. John's opinion is that it's a useful counter lock against various forms of ashi garami. Some members of the squad use it infrequently, but it's not something to focus on as a primary attack, more as a counter attack/counter lock. I don't use it very often myself. The squad typically focuses on the Heelhook from ashi configurations with the conventional toehold or kneebar as a backup/secondary attack to the legs. In IBJJF rules John has some really cool Achilles lock variations, but I'm not sure how well I'd explain the differences without video.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X