X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counter to sprawl and grabbing around torso/waist

Personal favorite - peekouts.

http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...ut/default.php

1. Pick which side you're going to. Assume the right for this example.

2. Peek your head out on the right, glue your left ear to his ribs to defend the guillotine (although your position should make it difficult for him.)

3) plant your left arm on the ground as a post, and control his left wrist with your right arm.

4) Shoot your left leg through the gap between his left leg and your right leg, as in the linked photo sequence -

http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...eekout/005.jpg
    http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...eekout/006.jpg
    http://www.themat.com/CoachesCorner/...eekout/007.jpg

This should end with you facing towards what had been your right, with your back against him, and his left arm still controlled by your right.

IMMEDIATELY high leg with your right leg (as in, kick over as if you were trying to hip bump sweep someone to your left) so that you turn yourself over so that you are facing him.

From here, either grab the legs for a sideways double, or take his back.

This is a very difficult more to explain textually. I'll look for some better pictures.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Comment

Fatherdog's post is a more general version of the one I was going to write. It's possible to do a variation where you scoop up unto the crotch to force them to roll and land with you over him in sidemount. If they don't roll then you'll force them into a devastating faceplant.

I learned this move as popularized by Minotauro, so that may help you in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
        Fatherdog's post is a more general version of the one I was going to write. It's possible to do a variation where you scoop up unto the crotch to force them to roll and land with you over him in sidemount. If they don't roll then you'll force them into a devastating faceplant.

I learned this move as popularized by Minotauro, so that may help you in your search.
        I believe this is the same move I've been using, as I was taught it was called the 'iranian'. It works, but this guy is heavy. I didn't know about the more general peekout though, I'm going to have to look into this for next week's training.

Thanks much for the assistance, hopefully it will save my back (and not his, hehe)

Comment

The guy I last did that on is much heavier than me, but he faceplanted. Good luck!

Comment

I haven't been successful in finding any other pictures of this technique, unfortunately. Done correctly it doesn't really put any strain on your back (believe me, I'm a tremendous pussy; I only do moves that are easy). If you have a hard time with it, try to find a wrestler and ask him to show you a peekout.
            Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Comment

Peekouts rule.

We used to have a kid who came to our place who was a real asshole, but sucked. He would be absolutely clueless and tooled, but when he would grapple with one of the girls would be rough. So I would always shoot a shitty double leg on him to start out, he would sprawl and I would peekout really hard and face plant him over and over.

Comment

I am not asking this to be smart, but what about when the guy on top has his hands clenched together?

I tried peeking out on him by he just shoved me back. He had a weight advantage of around 80 lbs.

I take it I am just screwed . . .

Comment

Even if his hands are together, you can still (usually) peak out. If you are doing it properly, you should pop through his grip.

That said... 80 pounds is a huge weigth difference. I can peak out on big guys (like 220 or so) so thats like 70 on me... but I am good at the move and I know it well. In general, dont shoot on someone who is 80 pounds heavier than you.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Lau
                    Even if his hands are together, you can still (usually) peak out. If you are doing it properly, you should pop through his grip.

That said... 80 pounds is a huge weigth difference. I can peak out on big guys (like 220 or so) so thats like 70 on me... but I am good at the move and I know it well. In general, dont shoot on someone who is 80 pounds heavier than you.
                    Oh sorry - let me add some background. Pure grappling session. He was in my guard after throwing me, where upon he started to pass and I desperately tried to keep my legs crossing over (the whole right to left and back game) to avoid it. Eventually, he just shoved them out of the way, but I managed to turtle before he closed the distance.

It was then that he had the sprawl-like/failed shoot position.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Alternatively:

If you can reach both legs then you could try grabbing behind his thighs, putting your head to one side, basing out with the leg on that same side and walking it forwards while pushing with your shoulder. You kind of spiral over and end up in his half-butterfly.

If you can only get one leg then grab behind his thigh, stick your head between his legs and use the free hand to grab the blade of his foot and pull it towards you between his legs. He falls backwards, and ends up in guard.

Can't find any pictures or names for these. Apologies if I've just spewed white-belt stupidity all over this thread.

Comment

Peakout usually comes from a sprawl when they have one underhook / front headlock. If he is just laying on you, thats not a peekout.

And even if he is on you in that situation with a front headlock / one underhook, its still going to be tough on someone that much bigger than you.

Comment

Here's a thought. Bring your feet to butt, post on both arms, (if they have a choke slip one hand between your neck and arm) duck under, placing one hand across the chest and estentially sweeping under. It's hard to explain, but check out Dan Gables "Coaching Wrestling Succesfully".

Comment

Tonite is open mat, so I'm going to go try in a few hours.

Should be the perfect night: I'm sick and need sleep, plus, I hurt my back last week and still haven't recovered!!! Wooooo!

It's going to be pure technique, I swear :5jigsaw:

This time I have motivation: Musculing = extreme pain tomorrow :blob1:

Comment

Also, you can pick an elbow and wrap the inside of your elbow around the outside of theirs and roll into it on your back, being sure to hold the elbow tightly so they stay with you. Your back should now be on their chest, with their back on the ground. Keeping up on your toes so that all your weight is on their chest and pinning them down. Start moving your feet to either side until you can do sort of a back stroke motion with the arm closest to their legs, "swim" it over their stomach, using the arm that's now over their torso turn your body to face them while swimming over with your second arm into side mount. I'll try to find some pics as-well!
                              Last edited by C 'Quence; 2/28/2006 1:25pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X