"Standing" in BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Standing" in BJJ

OK, so I was working one of the white belts in BJJ class and at a couple points I transitioned from a controlled position to a top position by walking my feet out to the side to turn my hips over. I was never vertical, my body was still horizantal for all intents and purposes.

I heard another student commenting after class say (not 100% it was about me, but I think it was), "Yeah, but he was standing a couple times." Is walking the feet frowned upon in general in BJJ? Bull was watching and didn't seem to care, but he's quite laid back. :5help:

if your talking about standing to get a guard pass. well i dont see that as a no no but as long as your ingaged and not like standing running around him i wouldnt see a problem.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with standing up in BJJ. Standing to pass guard, standing into your opponent's open guard, whatever. The only thing that doesn't usually happen is when both people stand, but that's really more of a logistics issue (mat space can't support 6-8 pairs of people standing) than anything else.

It doesn't even sound like you were standing. If I understand your position correctly, you raised your hips to switch them? Never heard anyone complain about that. Never heard anyone complain about standing either.

I don't think there are any tournament rules that frown upon standing either.

Comment

OK, cool. I didn't think so, but I am not really used to the ruleset, so I figured I would ask. Thanks.

Comment

Standing is a viable strategy in many situations. Only pussy BJJ'ers would complain about it, unless you constantly stood up out of guard and backed away. Even doing that once or twice aint that big a deal.

But I too am having some trouble understandint the position you were in and how you got to be standing.

There is one thing that BJJ'ers DON'T like...that is when you are both supposed to be starting on your knees and one asshole always jumps to his feet and runs you over. Newsflash - starting on your knees is just that, on your knees. Getting up off one knee is okay, but not two. When people do that I always spring up to my feet too and then try to throw them really really hard so they don't want to try that again. Whooooops. Tangent.

Comment

Heh, yeah. If it were me desribing it, I would say I switched my base from my knees to my feet while still on the ground (for instance when lifting the hips on a timelock my base shifts to my feet). Standing would imply to me a verticalish position.

Comment

if standing were a problem, there would be no takedowns in bjj.

there are takedowns in bjj.

therefore, standing is not a problem.

Comment

OK, I apparently did not define the term well enough. I thought putting "standing" in quotes would imply the fact that it was not really standing, starting from a standing position or getting up to stand (or a headstand for that fucking matter:P). I was attempting to use the term in a looser sense of "got on ones feet instead of the knees and hips during the ground portion of rolling. I failed at this, I suck, I am over it. But thanks for the feedback :-)

Comment

You're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
                    Standing is a viable strategy in many situations. Only pussy BJJ'ers would complain about it, unless you constantly stood up out of guard and backed away. Even doing that once or twice aint that big a deal.
                    If you are constantly able to stand up and back away from somebody's guard, that person should complain about his own guard.

OT: I don't see a lot of sense in starting from your knees anyway. It's an artificial position that should't be spent too much time on. I think people should be starting either standing, or from guard/pin.

Tomas

Comment

Originally posted by drummerboy
                      OT: I don't see a lot of sense in starting from your knees anyway. It's an artificial position that should't be spent too much time on. I think people should be starting either standing, or from guard/pin.
                      Ask Nate Quarry about the advisability of starting standing on a crowded mat.

There are great pedagogical reasons for starting on the knees. You focus on the ground part of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by En
                        The only thing that doesn't usually happen is when both people stand, but that's really more of a logistics issue (mat space can't support 6-8 pairs of people standing) than anything else.
                        We have a pretty good sized mat. We have plenty of room to start standing even when we have 20 or so people. We stand all the time, its part of the game. There is no rule against standing up to pass or to just escape back to your feet.

Comment

I am much more comfortable standing than being on the ground. Asia and I were going at it for submission for about 15 min this morning, we went from various positions several times from guard, mount etc to standing.

One thing I have found I have to watch for with him is when I go to pass his guard he actually LETS me stand up holding onto one foot. He then will take me down into a ankle lock or a heel hook. I have had to learn that I cannot just stand up whenever I want. There is a time and place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dochter
                            Ask Nate Quarry about the advisability of starting standing on a crowded mat.

There are great pedagogical reasons for starting on the knees. You focus on the ground part of it all.
                            I did not say anything about crowded mat. I'm just arguing that starting from the guard or pin is better, unless you are specifically interested in wrestling from your knees.

Tomas

Comment

Our mat is pretty crowded, most of the time we can't even have everyone roll at once, so standing really isn't an option.
                              Plus, I think working starting from the knees reduces the chance of injury too, but I definatly feel a lack in my takedowns compared to Judoka or even wrestlers.

Speaking of handstands, we learned a cool handstand to pass open guard two weeks ago. There should totally be more flashy moves like that in BJJ.

If I could learn XMABJJ, I would.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X