• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tani Otoshi > All standing locks

For clarification:
    http://www.judo-for-all.com/Theory/T...ani-Otoshi.htm
    http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...taniotoshi.htm

So last night some of the Wing Chun/MMA/eclectic guys where workingout before my class and they were playing with a standing lock that tied up both of the attacker's hands. The first thing I said when I saw this move that they were having trouble getting around was "Tani Otoshi would get you right out of that." I demonstrated and it did indeed work. They adjusted accordingly and said thanks.

Here's the interesting part. I can't really think of a single standing arm/shoulder/wrist lock that Tani Otoshi wouldn't have an excellent chance of getting you out. Especially the version shown in the video above that goes straight to mount.

Any ideas? What wouldn't this work against?

interesting WS, I don't know, remind me when I come up to Atlanta and I'll try a few things with you
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Comment

Hey that's a damn nice takedown. Looks like a great setup for side-control . . . or probably just about whatever you want if you tweak the rotation.
      MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
      "Fag."
      "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Comment

I can think of several locks that this wouldn't work against. Kind of hard to describe though, and I don't know the japanesse names. How about a hammerlock? It's wouldn't work against that.

Comment

I find when doing Tani Otoshi that my rotation makes mount seem easiest. Some people find it easier to go into side control though.
          You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Comment

I was thinking against a kote gaeshi it would probably work pretty good, but I don't know against ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, yonkyo or shihonage so we'll see!
            "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Comment

i love this throw. that is all.

Comment

Standing Waki Gatame won't get countered by Tani. You may think it will work, but you will just dislocate your shoulder. I know this because I watched the guy get carried off the mat and made a mental note .

Comment

It is my favorite "sacrifice throw", I used it all the time, along with a "side suplex".

Comment

Cool now we are getting somewhere. I forgot to mention in my first post that my knowledge of standing locks is incredibly limited. I just wanted to see what more knowledgable standing lock folks thought.

Also can you post a pic of any standing locks you are relatively sure will not be stopped by Tani Otoshi?

Comment

ikkyo

nikyo

although I don't know if this is what you're thinking as standing joint locks

Comment

You counter ikkyo by using the flip over heel kick.
                        You counter nikyo by stabbing to the eye with a pencil.

Comment

Now Ikkyo I could see being dificult to counter with Tani Otoshi.

BUT the one they were working on was very similar to Nikyo. Perhaps some extra twisting on the wrist would have stopped me I certainly wasn't grimacing as much as that uke is.

Comment

When done properly, nikkyo is one of the most painful and hard to get out wrist locks around.

Comment

What is the difference between ikkyo and nikyo?
                              The vast Universe!
                              The Way of Aiki to to become
                              The light of all mankind
                              Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X