Boxing sparring after long layoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing sparring after long layoff

I'm posting this in this forum because I'm nowhere near a technical enough level to require advanced discussion. This is my 3rd time boxing after about a 2-3 year layoff

YouTube- Sparring 27 Mar 10

YouTube- Rnd II 27 Mar 10

YouTube- Rnd III 27 Mar 10

I'm the less filipino looking individual not wearing socks.

I'm amazed at how little time my hands are by my face, especially my left. I'm not using angles on the defense either. I'm either shelling or moving back, which is going to murder me. I also notice I tend to stand upright when he bobs and weaves, and my hands just fall apart when throwing hooks. If anyone else has anything they notice or some tips, I'd appreciate it.

Being I've only done about 20-30 hours of practice in Boxing, I don't have much advise for someone better than me. Only thing I can comment on sans heads+Face thing you pointed out was you seemed to use your left jab a lot and didn't tend to follow up on your right. I don't know if you prefer jabs or what, just saying I didn't see a lot of right hand action.

Comment

I'm not a boxer, but you're often moving the wrong foot first (i.e. further right foot moving up to the left foot to go left) which gives you no base to punch from for a longer interval and wrecks your balance for other stuff in broader rules, but did it much less in round 3. Some good moments though (i.e. 0:45-0:50 in round 2) and you guys did a good job of not fluctuating the intensity/pace.
      Last edited by maofas; 3/28/2010 12:24am, .

Comment

I thought the forearm blocking was good, its a personal preference of mine.. I have a question though, how is your balance feeling when you're bobbing and weaving? It may just be deceptive but it looks like it'd be a bit difficult to punch heavily from there.

EDIT: I noticed sometimes you block with both forearms together while coming forward. it stops you getting hit, but also stops you countering as you come in.

..now for the stupid shit - EMEVAS YOU HAZ T3H RE4L DrUNK3N B0X1NG! lol
        Last edited by MMAMickey; 3/28/2010 8:15am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Boss View Post
          Being I've only done about 20-30 hours of practice in Boxing, I don't have much advise for someone better than me. Only thing I can comment on sans heads+Face thing you pointed out was you seemed to use your left jab a lot and didn't tend to follow up on your right. I don't know if you prefer jabs or what, just saying I didn't see a lot of right hand action.

Yeah, I've dislocated my right shoulder 5 times, twice from boxing, so I'm a little pensive with it. After this long layoff though, and spending all this time lifting and building up the supporting muscles, it's feeling really stable, so I'm getting better at letting the right hand fly more. I actually hit the guy with the first right hook of my life in one of the vids, haha.

Maofas: Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed as I fatigued I was more "walking" towards the guy instead of actually moving.

Mickey: I don't feel too bad on the bob and weave. When I hit the bag, I train coming up from that and delivering a hook, I just need to start putting that into practice in sparring.

The double forearm block is more just me shelling, which I need to do less of. I did use it to draw a bodyshot so I could land a head hook at one point, but now that he's caught on to that, I don't think I can keep doing it, haha.

Thanks for the pointers all.

Comment

Not bad for a 3 year break. Props for putting up a video, here is what i see wrong:

* Your footwork needs some improvement, seems like you are taking small steps everywhere instead of pushing off with one foot. I think your potential movement speed is about twice as fast as you were going there.

* Hands low in general is a problem but the part I've been caught myself with is not having that right hand glued to the face when you jab/left hook. Most of the time you fire a shot you are really open to a left hook counter.

* You are over-reacting to most shots, remember the goal is to make them miss by an inch not a mile. I think you could better use parries and patdowns than some of those forearm blocks. I over-use the forearm block as well.

* You are head hunting! I can't remember seeing a single body shot in those three rounds from you, the body is much easier to hit in boxing than the head.. especially if they know you are always going for it. Use the high low principle (double jab, straight to body) or use some bodyshots to setup your headshots (feint jab to face, straight to body, Left hook to body, left hook to head).

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yeah, when we first sparred I hit the guy with a lot of bodyshots because he was used to ammy rules, but since then he's gotten pretty good whenever I go in for them. I'm definitely going to work high/low in my bag work.

For some reason, no one ever wants to stand and trade with me, haha.

Good advice on the overreacing too. I've noticed it as well, and it's embarassing and putting me off balance.

Comment

If he doesn't want to trade you've got to force him to by cutting off the ring. Since you don't have a ring that might be a little tough :P. if you can't find a ring to spar in it might be an idea to at least section off an area with the right dimensions.

I hate sparring people on an open mat, it changes the rules so dramatically. I think that people who learn to spar without a space constriction pick up some really bad habits, a good 90% of our fighters /advanced students backup and over-rely on distance as defense because of this.

Comment

Yeah, we use a little more cramped space upstairs sometimes, and maybe with some improvement on my footwork I can catch him, haha.

Comment

Sang hit the main bits. I think the best thing to do is to just spar more, you need to shake off that ring rust. You seem tight and tentative, sparring more should help you loosen up. You're also plodding back onto your heels a lot, so remember to stay up on your toes and keep your movement dynamic. Again, just sparring more should help, and so will shadow-boxing and quick mitts drills with a coach.

are you training under anyone, or is this just sparring with people you know?

Comment

The guy I'm sparring with was a captain of his college's boxing team, so he's my main source of training at this point. We have 1 school within 100 miles here that trains boxing, but I can't get in touch with the owner, and the place is always closed whenever I visit. For now I'm just getting back in shape and seeing if I'm gonna stick with boxing, and if that's the case I'm gonna see if I can join up in the summer.

Comment

Basically : what everyone else said. :)

About the ring-problem: try and confine your space with whatever is available to you. It should help a lot. And try to remember not backing up more than one step.

And thanks for the vid. Good luck with the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by cufaol View Post
                          Basically : what everyone else said. :)

About the ring-problem: try and confine your space with whatever is available to you. It should help a lot. And try to remember not backing up more than one step.

And thanks for the vid. Good luck with the shoulder.
                          Yup, the shoulder should be pretty good. I used to feel it hang loose in the socket when I threw overhands, but now everything feels strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Emevas View Post
                            I'm posting this in this forum because I'm nowhere near a technical enough level to require advanced discussion. This is my 3rd time boxing after about a 2-3 year layoff

YouTube- Sparring 27 Mar 10

YouTube- Rnd II 27 Mar 10

YouTube- Rnd III 27 Mar 10

I'm the less filipino looking individual not wearing socks.

I'm amazed at how little time my hands are by my face, especially my left. I'm not using angles on the defense either. I'm either shelling or moving back, which is going to murder me. I also notice I tend to stand upright when he bobs and weaves, and my hands just fall apart when throwing hooks. If anyone else has anything they notice or some tips, I'd appreciate it.
                            1 - You aren't throwing combos. I see tons of single shots from way outside and very few 2's and 3's.

2 - You're reaaaaaly reaching on a lot of those shots. Look at your hooks. They are coming from miles away. Seems like inside is where you'd do best based on your size and reach.

3 - Yeah, defense. You see it. Those hands need to be up.

4 - You're dropping the right really bad when you jab, especially multiple jabs. If he threw a decent left hook it would cause you huge problems.

5 - It looks as if you're trying to move forward + counter punch. I don't think you're fast enough for that right now.

6 - You're over-reaching when you block. This is leaving you open for fakes/feints.

I'm sure a lot of it is just being rusty. You seem to have some good basics. I say get in front of a mirror and do some shadow boxing for technique. Keep it tight and focus on technique and I bet you'll improve really fast.

Comment

For combos, I never really see an opportunity to throw. I can barely get the single shot in before he's already away. Should I just throw a combo regardless?

The inside is definitely where I shine, I just can't get in there with the large working space and my poor footwork.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X