An armlock from Kesa Gatame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An armlock from Kesa Gatame?

I recently had a guy show me this armlock from kesa. It worked on me, but it seemed odd so I thought I'd bounce it off the people here.

From Hon Kesa Gatame, with the guy's near arm held tight under your armpit. You clasp your own hands (giving up the head control), hook their elbow of the arm you have trapped and crank it just like you would a heel hook.

Anyone seen this before? Opinions?

When you say worked on you do you mean with resistance or compliance in that you let him set it and couldn't get out?

Comment

We've done that in bjj before. It's feels more like a shoulder lock, right? I find it can be harder to get on bigger people since it's harder to reach your hands together. I don't know how often I would use it since there are other locks available from kesa gatame that work more often, especially if you can use your legs against their arm.

Comment

It worked in rolling. He got kesa on me, and as he had my arm nice and tight like a good hon kesa, and as I had never experienced this before, he sank it and I tapped. NOt sure how I could have fought out of it, and I haven't had a chance to ask my sensei about it yet, or try it in rolling myself.

It's feels more like a shoulder lock, right?
        Right! I am familiar with the ude garami you can get from kesa when you use your legs. But this was a new one to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JuHo Ho HOWNED View Post
          It worked in rolling. He got kesa on me, and as he had my arm nice and tight like a good hon kesa, and as I had never experienced this before, he sank it and I tapped. NOt sure how I could have fought out of it, and I haven't had a chance to ask my sensei about it yet, or try it in rolling myself.
          Straighten your arm and pull his sleeve on the hand that is hooking your elbow.

This is a pretty good set up to make them give you an arm so watch out for the chain attacks.

Comment

Yeah, I think I've seen Subs101 do this variation before. I haven't tried it though, I haven't ever been in a situation where I can just sit in Kesa and have them let me try it. It certainly seems like it would take a bit of time to set up, no?

Comment

Anyone got a video or pictures? I'm having a hard time picturing this particular move.

Oh, I also have a request:

YouTube- English Mother Fucker Do You Speak It

Comment

Yeah me too. I don't really use kesa, so I can't picture it at all.

Comment

The only thing I can think of that sounds like this is the Mir Lock from guard. You trap your opponents arm with an overhook then as they try to pull it out you push their elbow across their chest, resulting in a shoulder lock.
                  I can't get my brain around how to do it from kesa, but it sounds like the same attack.

Comment

I use a fair bit except I don't give up head control (less likely to loose position) although I have been shown both ways. I have found that in my experience the key is to put the arm into the same postion you would a kimura by leaning forward and down a bit then doing the lock the normal way. otherwise it doesn't seem to work on flexible people. When im training it I get the person to freeze and I move off them to make sure the arm is in the right spot and at the right angle. I believe I have heard this called a modified time hold or something at BJJ but I can't remember. Hope this helps.

Comment

Here it is without giving up head control (far superior, imo).

(Pray this embedding works!)

http://flash.revver.com/player/1.0/p...ffiliate=84576

These guys are calling it the Robinson lock.

Comment

YouTube- Robinson (Chrome) Shoulder Lock from Scarf

Ok, now I know which one your talking about. I don't use it myself much, as it's more a low % submission. However it is a good way to get someone to let go if they have a death grip around your waist and set up another attack

Comment

Actually, I believe when I got caught I had reached through deep for a body lock to try and bridge and roll. I was working on my kesa escapes that day.

Comment

Originally posted by JuHo Ho HOWNED View Post
                            Actually, I believe when I got caught I had reached through deep for a body lock to try and bridge and roll. I was working on my kesa escapes that day.
                            When you do your bridge and roll are you going to your side and spooning the guy first?

I can't see they get the lock on you if you are. It seems to me that it would only work if you were flat on your back

Comment

What's stopping them from shrimping out while you're setting it up?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X