Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

judo without gi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

judo without gi

hi guys recently i started training judo because i found a very good olympic judo place near my house everything is ideal except that they dont do no gi training.

i hear lots of ppl say judo is only useful for gi, i want to ask how true is this?
    doesnt jujutsu also use a gi and people say that its very good without gi tho?
    sambo and bjj both have jacket as far as im concerned, can anyone explain? because if i train judo id want to be able to use it proficiently without gi otherwise i think i might train something else

JNP is going to ejudo your thread because it's in the wrong place. Many judo throws can be done with or without gis. Others can be modified to be done without a gi. If you are just beginning to study judo there is quite a lot to learn before you need to even worry about that. Now go read some stickies before you post anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by MehmetA View Post
      hi guys recently i started training judo because i found a very good olympic judo place near my house everything is ideal except that they dont do no gi training.

i hear lots of ppl say judo is only useful for gi, i want to ask how true is this?
      doesnt jujutsu also use a gi and people say that its very good without gi tho?
      sambo and bjj both have jacket as far as im concerned, can anyone explain? because if i train judo id want to be able to use it proficiently without gi otherwise i think i might train something else
      Attention new person, please take the time to read the stickies (the threads that say "MehmetA: READ ME!" at the top of each sub forum. If you had done so already, you would have known that this type of question, a basic one, belongs in the Basic Technique forum and NOT the Advanced Grappling Discussion forum (or AGD) where you originally posted it.

Thank you and have a nice day.
      Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Also read every post I have made and all your questions will be answered.
        Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Comment

Karo Parysian's Judo for MMA has a ton of Judo throws modified for No-Gi. It explains how to modify your grips and gives tips on how to mix in your striking. It's good stuff.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, Judo works without the gi. For the groundfighting, look at MMA. Judo will teach you most of the techniques you see in ground fighting.

For the standing, you can see a lot of Judo throws in MMA these days. Harai Goshi, a lot of leg trips/reaps, seoi nage, and more. And you even see a lot of "judo" throws in freestyle wrestling:

YouTube- Saitiev Highlights

basically, Judo works without a gi.

Comment

Karo Parisyan's success in MMA without the gi does not validate judo as an effective no-gi art. He spent a lot of time adapting judo to that purpose.

You train how you fight. If you train with the gi, yes some of it will carry over. But if you don't train no-gi fairly frequently, judo will not do the trick.

If you know of a judo school with a no-gi program, please tell me about it. I want a no-gi judo section in the judo FAQ.
              What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
                If you know of a judo school with a no-gi program, please tell me about it. I want a no-gi judo section in the judo FAQ.

WTF am I chopped liver?

Comment

I thought you were holding back trade secrets of the judo-for-MMA variety.
                  What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

Did you see the 2 new vids I just made?

Comment

2 vids 1 coach?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
                      Originally posted by Newb1

B) I could not beat a Judoka with Aikido. I could only beat an Aikidoka with Aikido. I thought that was understook.

Comment

Josh, I'm sorry, I haven't. Link to the videos?

FYI the link in your Business tag doesn't seem to work...

Comment

We have a new website coming out this week that may be the problem right now.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/vbtu...&t=91748#watch

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/vbtu...beid=236#watch

Comment

Originally posted by 1point2 View Post
                            You train how you fight. If you train with the gi, yes some of it will carry over. But if you don't train no-gi fairly frequently, judo will not do the trick.
                            I am sure you know by now that your rabid enthusiasm for Judo pleases me...
                            ..but please stop posting authoritatively about things you know nothing about. People read shit like this on the internet and then come to practice repeating it as if it were the gospel. I then have to take time out of whatever I am working on to show them how wrong they really are.

I recommend you wait until you have had at least a year as an Ikkyu with a lot of competition under your belt before you start pontificating on "what you know works". Better yet start frequenting different gyms and play against national/international level players as much as possible; it will eventually dawn on you that you don't know shit.
                            Last edited by OSPF; 11/24/2009 9:12am, . Reason: edit is better

Comment

So which particular aspect of his post is wrong?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X