Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jnp
    replied
    Missing post can be found here: How to get yourself banned from the technique forums - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Leave a comment:

• DSL
    replied
    Rofl, ignatzami, I do the same thing.
    Even in competition (though not so much in MMA comp heh).

Leave a comment:

• Coach Josh
    replied
    Beorn I am referring to the beginners. If you have a report with your training partners that is different. If you are a noob and throw down the gauntlet be prepared.

Leave a comment:

• ignatzami
    replied
    Originally posted by Beorn View Post
    great post coach josh, but I am having a little bit of a problem understanding this part, maybe I am just taking it wrong.

When I am at Judo or MT, I get beat on and I get beat on hard. I'll roll with black belts and I'll spar with our pro fighters. And everytime I get subbed or get knocked down I get up, smile and say "bet you can't do it again" or some other smart ass comment, knowing full well they are capable of doing just that. Its mostly a joke, but it is also me saying that even though I am slowing down, I don't want my partner to let up. I know I am going to get beat on, but it is better to take my beatings in the gym than in the cage or on da streetz. I don't see a problem with that, and my training partners seem to think its funny.

However, if this is said with anger and the person starts to spaz out, that could be a problem. Just wasn't sure how you meant it.
    I do the same thing, I chatter during Randori, and will often tease my opponent during newaza. Then again, my entire club knows I'm a goof so it's ok. I began doing it as a way to stay loose when rolling, to stay calm. It helps me meter my breathing and not spaz or tighten up.

When I compete I do it to confuse my opponents, it occasionally works.

I'd say keep it up, if someone gets their panties in a twist, oh well.

Leave a comment:

• permahudef
    replied
    Originally posted by Beorn View Post
    great post coach josh, but I am having a little bit of a problem understanding this part, maybe I am just taking it wrong.

When I am at Judo or MT, I get beat on and I get beat on hard. I'll roll with black belts and I'll spar with our pro fighters. And everytime I get subbed or get knocked down I get up, smile and say "bet you can't do it again" or some other smart ass comment, knowing full well they are capable of doing just that. Its mostly a joke, but it is also me saying that even though I am slowing down, I don't want my partner to let up. I know I am going to get beat on, but it is better to take my beatings in the gym than in the cage or on da streetz. I don't see a problem with that, and my training partners seem to think its funny.

However, if this is said with anger and the person starts to spaz out, that could be a problem. Just wasn't sure how you meant it.
    You may want to ensure 100% that your training partners see this as a compliment. This seems like the kind of smartass joke that could very easily be misinterpreted.

Last night I was rolling with a guy much smaller than me. I ended up in mount, with him sort of on his side and somehow I had his arms under me. For some reason he didn't bridge. I see his neck totally defenseless and say "I wonder if I can can get a RNC from mount..." and go for it. He taps, I chuckle a bit because I was surprised that it was even possible. He asked me why I was laughing (he seemed insulted) and I assured him it was because I had no idea you could possibly get a RNC from mount.

What I'm trying to say is actions are easily misinterpreted.

Leave a comment:

• Beorn
    replied
    Originally posted by Coach Josh View Post
    6. Do not goad a higher rank. After you have been tapped 6 times in 2 minutes do not restart and say "come on bring it".

Leave a comment:

• Neo Sigma
    replied
    I just think of it like this- I'm paying money for you to teach me, not for me to teach you.

Leave a comment:

• Tex
    replied
    I appreciate this post because it reflects morals and values that can be applied anywhere, in any environment, with equal results.

People tend to think that if they act like they know something, they can demand respect that way.. It sucks when you end up on your ass for such a philosophy. My philosophy in the Dojo is to do what I'm told and say thanks to my Coach for helping me out, and to abstain from feeling intimidated by the peripheral BS involved.

SO.. Thanks Coach!

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Fields
    replied
    Oh hell...in that case you are for sure an original man....lets see..with skills like that train a few folks...who then train a few folks..every club that gets opened pays you a few dollars off the top. Everyone refers to you as Sir..or Grand POOBA...

When your original-ness wears-off...you can just start making shit up...still taking money off the top... of the pyramid that is...;)

Aaron.."just call me diva" Fields....

Leave a comment:

• kenso
    replied
    My favorite response in these situations:
    "Are you here to learn, or to impress me with how much you already know?"

They usually shut up after that, and if they don't, then I know they're pretty much hopeless.

Leave a comment:

• Res Judicata
    replied
    This made me lol. So, so true. I'm not sure my schools have such a system formally. But informally ... Nothing says "shut up" quite like an arm triangle. Or seoi nage.

Originally posted by Coach Josh View Post

Grant it we have a check system in place. It could be viewed as an ass whipping if you didn't know better. We just call it sparring. If your gym has such a system in place then you should be thankful. Then you should try real hard to not be that guy.

Leave a comment:

• riccweee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Fields
    replied
    YAAAA!

Good on ya' Josh...

If I may add to it and vent a little, (this included folks who have been doing whatever for a spell as well as new folks....)

Open comments to, whomever the shoe fits.....

You are not original, Everything has been done before

Leave a comment:

• Neo Sigma
    replied
    The only people who make mistakes are the ones that are doing something. In the beginning if you are not fucking up you are not learning.
    People in ANY kind of physical activity should have to recite this for their first year before every class. When I was still in judo, our sensei told us a story about when he was new, and thought he'd done really well because nobody had thrown him all night. His sensei shook his head and told him that if he wasn't getting thrown, he wasn't doing judo.

Leave a comment:

• It is Fake
    replied
    Awesome. I was just trying to explain this to a guy in the CMA forum. He saw it in everyone else. in his class, and not himself.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X