BJJ White Belt Frustration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ White Belt Frustration

Hey guys. I started doing BJJ in my town back in June of this past summer. The only place that offered it was the local branch of the ATA. Yes that's right. The American TAEKWONDO Association. It was through the WBJJA. Basically it boils down to the instructor who was a "Blue Belt". Who taught one move per class and then we all "rolled". More recently it's watered down to a white belt with Eddie Bravo's 3 books teaching those techniques. Basically it boils down to this:

A legitimate Gracie Jiu-Jitsu school opened here recently. At the time I was submitting EVERYONE at the ATA school. I went and rolled with the Gracie guys and was hooked, so I swapped schools. The teacher at the Gracie school is a purple belt, and his black belt instructor visits every month or so. I've been training with this purple belt 4 days a week 2 hours every night for a month now, and he just destroys me all the time. I used to be able to demolish all the ATA guys, but on a recent visit (tonight). I only submitted one of them, and I tied or was submitted by the rest of them. (One even put me in a mounted triangle)...

I feel like I'm taking backwards steps. I used to instantly go to techniques but now I find myself in a position trying to remember what I'm SUPPOSED to do and before i can think of it the person on top had moved on...

It's just FRUSTRATING.:icon_sad:

Two steps forward, one step back. No worries, it sounds like it was just a fluke. Did you get frustrated halfway through the visit, and start rolling worse? Or second-guessing yourself?

I wouldn't worry about it. If the Gracie place is good, rolls every class for a good amount of time, within a year you'll be light years ahead of the ATA crap.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Comment

This happens all the time. You start rolling, do good, and beat people all the time. Then you go in one day and even the beginners start tapping you. You have to push through the ego blow, and learn from it. Every time you get tapped out, you are actually learning more than when you tap out other people. The only difference is that when you are tapping them out, you are stroking your ego. Leave the ego at the door, and get back to training!!!
      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Well I got more 5 minute rolling rounds at ATA. Like I said, they learn ONE move and drill it for like 10 minutes, and spend the rest of the hour rolling 5 minute rounds.

At the Gracie school I get over an HOUR of technique instruction followed by 4-5 5 minute rounds on the mat. Maybe it's just that I get overwhelmed with everything I'm shown every night it's hard to keep it straight.

Another thing is that I'm WAY less aggressive and I hesitate before I do anything. My Gracie instructor has this ability to submit me at will as soon as I screw something up, so I've learned to be cautious changing between positions.

Comment

You're right diesel. It might be partially an ego thing, but I try to make sure I check my ego at the door every time I train with anyone. Don't get me wrong. I'm good friends with all the ATA guys, and they're great people. It's just the feeling that when I left I felt better than I did tonight. And it seems like I'm taking backwards steps which doesn't make sense... So in that sense it's frustrating. It's not that I mind being tapped by newer people at all, But being tapped by ALL of them when it used to feel so easy... The frustration is more with myself I think.....

Comment

Yeh tell the purple belt you want to roll more and positional sparring more.

Comment

Not sure that is your problem but wanted to give an advice,just in case.

I experienced that, the people who uses so much strength in their grappling games instead of technique, tend to go to a level real quick and then stay there for a long time.Their improvement slows like hell after blue belt or maybe even earlier.

If new guys start to tap you out, there might be a flaw in your game.Stop going for taps and soften a little.Try to really understand what is going on when you are rolling, understand the positions,learn some frames and depend on (and believe in) your technique more instead of your strength and stamina.

Comment

Be chill, just don't worry the jujitsu will flow much better when your calm,

focus on breathing, you breathing has to be oh so chill. Just look and the moves kinda come.

Comment

Thanks for all the wisdom everyone. This was a pretty great outlet for my frustration. Hopefully my instructor will help me out tomorrow too. I'll let you know if any improvements are made, or if he gives any specific advice about what I'm doing wrong. :)

Comment

Surely it's a sign of the coming Apocalypse that a thread has come this close to stating at an ATA school had the BJJ.

The world is a frightening, twisted place.

Comment

Don't judge your progress on who you can tap out and/or who taps you out. That is the number 1 thing you are doing wrong right now.

Are the guys you used to train with muscling through everything and forcing chokes that aren't actually on properly into cranks? If so then they're not learning Jiu Jitsu. Did you reverse any positions? Escape? Pull off any nice sweeps? These are the small victories you should take away with you that mark your progress.

Keeping a tally of who you can tap is meaningless. Let me tell you a story:

The other night at training, a brand new White Belt was allowed to train with us. When it was my turn to spar with me him, I slowed down and was letting him move through positions. He got on my back and I was turtling - not trying to escape - just letting him work. His arm ended up in my mouth. He then tried to apply an RNC full force and split my entire bottom lip against my teeth. Tap? I fucking screamed. When he pulled his arm out his gi was covered in blood.

A silly thing to do but all n00bs make mistakes like that at the beginning. After we started rolling again I put him in a Triangle and he wouldn't tap. Time was called just as I was starting to think he may go to sleep rather than submit.

This guy is crippling his progress due to some crazy notion that tapping someone and/or not tapping yourself means you're progressing. In his case, the opposite couldn't be more true with an extra side dish of dickishness.

Don't be that dick. Stop caring about tapping people and just enjoy learning Jiu Jitsu.

*Gets off Soap Box*
                      " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Comment

OP, you hit part of the problem right on the head. At your old school you learned one technique and then rolled. At the new school you are learning a lot of techniques.

You used to have a toolbox with only a few tools so it was real easy to grab the right one, now you have the big friggen tool box with lots of tools and you aren't sure which one to grab or even how to use it correctly.

Part of the learning process is developing your own game. As you advance you will find that there are certain tools you will make yours and you will begin to use them without even thinking about it. As time passes you will add more tools to that set you can use with skill.

Also try to focus on your positional game. Don't worry about subs. Remember its position, position, position, submission. Less focus on submission and more on position.

Hope this helps.
                        Walrus Mike

http://www.phillymma.com/

Comment

Why are you rolling with a purple belt all the time? How many other people are in your Gracie class?

Comment

I would recommend three things: learn how to relax in sparring, ask lots of questions and try to focus on improving your technique rather than worrying about who taps who. There is a really good thread on that last point, which I'd urge you to read.

If you've got a longer attention span, I babble about the frustration question at length in the FAQ.
                            BJJ Beginner FAQ, Artemis BJJ, GrappleThon.org (BJJ for Charity)

Comment

Originally posted by M1K3 View Post
                              OP, you hit part of the problem right on the head. At your old school you learned one technique and then rolled. At the new school you are learning a lot of techniques.

You used to have a toolbox with only a few tools so it was real easy to grab the right one, now you have the big friggen tool box with lots of tools and you aren't sure which one to grab or even how to use it correctly.

Part of the learning process is developing your own game. As you advance you will find that there are certain tools you will make yours and you will begin to use them without even thinking about it. As time passes you will add more tools to that set you can use with skill.

Also try to focus on your positional game. Don't worry about subs. Remember its position, position, position, submission. Less focus on submission and more on position.

Hope this helps.
                              This is true. My old set of skills was very small and I knew exactly what to do as soon as I went to that position. My old skill set was fine for holding my own at the ATA school. However, when I went to the Gracie school I quickly found that my old techniques were useless against their students and nearly all of them set me up to be swept. So I'm at a point where I'm trying to throw out my old techniques and adopt these new ones. So I guess in a way I'm back to square 1.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X