bjj instructor injured me during rolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bjj instructor injured me during rolling

Sometimes when training in contact sports, you get injured.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Take up golf. I'm sure there are Groupon coupons for that

Comment

Not YMAS, guys. Legit question from a newb, let's try and get some actual answers, here.

First off, you shouldn't be sparring after your very first class. Did you give the instructor any reason to believe that you were experienced enough to engage in that? If not, I think you should steer clear of that gym, in the future.
      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Is the Instructor the owner?

If not you can talk with the owner. It could be helpful if the instructor goes unnecessarily rough with students.

You do need to bear in mind that a single event doesn't necessarily reflect up the club or the instructor. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, however, accidents do happen. It is never pleasant to be on the receiving end of them, however, humans are perfect, and no matter how much control the person tries to exercise things can still happen.

I also have to ask, for clarity sake, how rough/hard were you going with the guy? Legit, new guys do scare instructors a bit. You never know when one will do something crazy and try and hurt you. If you were going hard in the roll, entirely possible that the instructor felt the need to defend himself and that does increase the likelihood of injury.

What can you do? If the owner is different than the instructor, you can talk to him. Other than that you can walk away and never go back.
        Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
          Not YMAS, guys. Legit question from a newb, let's try and get some actual answers, here.

First off, you shouldn't be sparring after your very first class. Did you give the instructor any reason to believe that you were experienced enough to engage in that? If not, I think you should steer clear of that gym, in the future.
          My apologies.

To the op, you have a couple issues going on. One, you don't know how to fall. You should have had some basic instructions on how to take a fall, how to roll with it, and stuff like that. Then you have the issue of a brown belt rolling you up. That's only an issue because you don't know anything. Seems to me like maybe they just wanted to see if you were going to stick with it, or just jet after your groupon ended. The other possibility is that they were showing a legit technique and you in your noob status spazzed out and panicked. Thus causing your own injury. Most places would have just put you with a white or blue belt and let them play with you.

If you could enlighten us to some of these possibilities, we could probably help better. As far as the injury, odds are ibuprofen and rest will get you where you need to be. If you don't feel better in a couple days, head to the doctor.
          Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Apologies, I thought this was YMAS.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
              My apologies.

To the op, you have a couple issues going on. One, you don't know how to fall. You should have had some basic instructions on how to take a fall, how to roll with it, and stuff like that. Then you have the issue of a brown belt rolling you up. That's only an issue because you don't know anything. Seems to me like maybe they just wanted to see if you were going to stick with it, or just jet after your groupon ended. The other possibility is that they were showing a legit technique and you in your noob status spazzed out and panicked. Thus causing your own injury. Most places would have just put you with a white or blue belt and let them play with you.

If you could enlighten us to some of these possibilities, we could probably help better. As far as the injury, odds are ibuprofen and rest will get you where you need to be. If you don't feel better in a couple days, head to the doctor.
              Many clubs start new guys with upper belts for safety reasons. Especially if the new guy has any sort of wrestling background. You really want people who know how to flow and can protect themselves with folks like that.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Take up knitting or perhaps darts? Learning to throw, maim, and strangle people seems to be a bit too violent for you. Wishing you could and/or Thinking about suing for an injury in an inherently dangerously activity is really lame.

On the flip side I dont let peeps with no experience grappling(wrestling,judo,bjj) spar for around 30 classes give or take so they don't hurt themselves.
                You hurt yourself by landing wrong. Sweeps are not dangerous unless you're a know nothing or a spaz or have little to no dexterity or all the above.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                    Take up knitting or perhaps darts? .
                    I rethought this. Both of those things require the use of sharp objects. Those are probably not a good idea either. I was thinking maybe scrapbooking but you use scissors and sometimes hot glue for that too so that might be a little bit too dangerous. Maybe painting? Or pottery? Functional Martial arts seem like an absolutely horrible idea for you.
                    Maybe you could do a useless one like Aikido or ninjutsu? Those Tubbies don't seem to get hurt too much....... Well, unless they piss off a real martial artist. Then? My prediction is pain for them.

Cry in training. Laugh in battle.

Comment

I laughed much harder at this than I should have...I guess.

Pussy passed out because of being afraid of being thrown, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Falenay View Post
                        I laughed much harder at this than I should have...I guess.

Pussy passed out because of being afraid of being thrown, isn't it?
                        Well they might be faking a head injury? Either presumption is funny.

Comment

So let me get this straight. You probably fucked up by planting your arm as you were being swept and you want to go whine about it? Are you fucking serious?

Comment

Well they might be faking a head injury? Either presumption is funny.
                            When the guy checks the pulse and then drags him off the mat, I figured that they were intending that he killed the guy. I love it because it is funny on so many levels.

Comment

Maybe you could do a useless one like Aikido or ninjutsu?
                              Fun fact:
                              Often times they try and use the injuries they do get in training as a means of legitimizing the art/techniques that they are using.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X