X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ghost55
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    You have a month and a half to the tournament, right ?

What kind of running do you plan to do ? LSD ? Interval training ? You can do a maybe 2 week cardio cycle and then will need to go to maintenance on whatever gains you got.

Have you evaluated your cardio first ? How ?
    My cardio is not that great, in part due to my terrible lungs. I can generally make it through 1-2 intense six minute rolling sessions before completely gassing. Naga Germany is at the end of May, so I have almost three months. That being said, my instructor wants me to compete once before then. My current plan is to use a couch to 5k in nine weeks program, and to spend a bit of time doing circuits of kettlebells, box jumps, and bag work after training.

Leave a comment:

• blackmonk
    replied
    So hip squats are to only 90 degree knee angle, Olympic are full squats ?

yeah, sideways Osoto Gari is hell on the ACL, I know that for sure !
    The depth of hip squats are to the point that the origin of the quadriceps passes the plane of the knee, and they are wider than hip width. The ideal stance for maximum engagement of the posterior chain is 140% of shoulder width.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by blackmonk View Post
    That's also why research by the NSCA has suggested that those with knee injuries opt for hip squats (powerlifting-style) rather than Olympic-style squats, because it increases knee compression and reduces knee shear. Shear is obviously the problem with ACL injuries.
    So hip squats are to only 90 degree knee angle, Olympic are full squats ?

yeah, sideways Osoto Gari is hell on the ACL, I know that for sure !

Leave a comment:

• blackmonk
    replied
    Plus, overpronation at ankles put a lot of pressure on my knees so the running thing
    That's also why research by the NSCA has suggested that those with knee injuries opt for hip squats (powerlifting-style) rather than Olympic-style squats, because it increases knee compression and reduces knee shear. Shear is obviously the problem with ACL injuries.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    I unfortunately can't do a lot of jumping and sprinting anymore because of my ACL. Also the reason I can't do uchi mata, ouchi gari, or osoto gari from a right grip.
    I had my ACL fixed, and then could not longer do low/squatting type seionage. Plus, overpronation at ankles put a lot of pressure on my knees so the running thing (which I did for a while) for longer distances (running more than 5 miles at a decent pace is wasted for Judo IMO anyway).

I don't think much running is really necessary to build cardio (for Judo/Sambo...I'll leave BJJ alone). If done, intervals are better route than just jogging.

Leave a comment:

• blackmonk
    replied
    Yes...best cardio results I ever got were via interval training (sprints/rest) and plyometric/circuit weight training related to Judo.

"Normal" running I used to build up a cardio base, but, judo is so hard on the knees/joints anyway I eventually went to bike riding for that.
    I unfortunately can't do a lot of jumping and sprinting anymore because of my ACL. Also the reason I can't do uchi mata, ouchi gari, or osoto gari from a right grip.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    It is questionable how directly running benefits combat sports, but it is the number one, most prescribed fix for cardio issues. I

My cardio was best when I mimicked the length of a match (in my case, judo and sambo) with varying strenuous activities. I would structure it in such a way that required power/anaerobic movements intermittently throughout, but it was not an interval or HIIT thing, necessarily (as in there wasn't a 2:1 ratio of work to rest).

Example: 5 min round

1 min, kettlebell swings
    1 min, box jumps
    1 min, suplexes with throwing dummy
    1 min, bulgarian bag
    1 min, bear crawls

And then I would pick a sixth activity, so that way each round had a slightly different load, similar to a match:

1 min, burpees
    1 min, kettlebell swings
    1 min, box jumps
    1 min, o goshi with throwing dummy
    1 min, bulgarian bag

I would complete 3ish rounds, or however many would mimic the work load of whatever tournament I had coming up. The entire workout would usually involve low-rep strength training first, then these rounds, and then possibly some walking on an incline treadmill.

It turned me into a machine, and got me super lean.
    Yes...best cardio results I ever got were via interval training (sprints/rest) and plyometric/circuit weight training related to Judo.

"Normal" running I used to build up a cardio base, but, judo is so hard on the knees/joints anyway I eventually went to bike riding for that.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
    I'll definitely try to work on staying calm while rolling. The new non-shit creatine powder is not causing any disturbances, and I'm also using beta alanine since a friend suggested it. And running begins this week.
    You have a month and a half to the tournament, right ?

What kind of running do you plan to do ? LSD ? Interval training ? You can do a maybe 2 week cardio cycle and then will need to go to maintenance on whatever gains you got.

Have you evaluated your cardio first ? How ?

Leave a comment:

• blackmonk
    replied
    It is questionable how directly running benefits combat sports, but it is the number one, most prescribed fix for cardio issues. I

My cardio was best when I mimicked the length of a match (in my case, judo and sambo) with varying strenuous activities. I would structure it in such a way that required power/anaerobic movements intermittently throughout, but it was not an interval or HIIT thing, necessarily (as in there wasn't a 2:1 ratio of work to rest).

Example: 5 min round

1 min, kettlebell swings
    1 min, box jumps
    1 min, suplexes with throwing dummy
    1 min, bulgarian bag
    1 min, bear crawls

And then I would pick a sixth activity, so that way each round had a slightly different load, similar to a match:

1 min, burpees
    1 min, kettlebell swings
    1 min, box jumps
    1 min, o goshi with throwing dummy
    1 min, bulgarian bag

I would complete 3ish rounds, or however many would mimic the work load of whatever tournament I had coming up. The entire workout would usually involve low-rep strength training first, then these rounds, and then possibly some walking on an incline treadmill.

It turned me into a machine, and got me super lean.

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    No, it's not weird at all, spot on in fact. Whether or not ghost55 is to the point he can do that is another question, but it's good to have on the radar.
    I'll definitely try to work on staying calm while rolling. The new non-shit creatine powder is not causing any disturbances, and I'm also using beta alanine since a friend suggested it. And running begins this week.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Ulsteryank View Post
    I hate running, but it's just one of those things you have to do. I used to think extra sparring on top of the cardio in the gym would suffice without running, but it just didn't cut it.

What's your gym like for comp prep? My BJJ gym has competition only classes that's a solid brutal fast paced 2 hours of cardio and sparring. I've only been to a few and already notice a difference in MMA.

Sounds weird, but also learning to regulate your breathing, and noticing the difference from being gassed, and an adrenaline dump could possibly help.
    No, it's not weird at all, spot on in fact. Whether or not ghost55 is to the point he can do that is another question, but it's good to have on the radar.

Leave a comment:

• Ulsteryank
    replied
    I hate running, but it's just one of those things you have to do. I used to think extra sparring on top of the cardio in the gym would suffice without running, but it just didn't cut it.

What's your gym like for comp prep? My BJJ gym has competition only classes that's a solid brutal fast paced 2 hours of cardio and sparring. I've only been to a few and already notice a difference in MMA.

Sounds weird, but also learning to regulate your breathing, and noticing the difference from being gassed, and an adrenaline dump could possibly help.

Leave a comment:

• Krijgsman
    replied
    My Judo/Wrestling/Jiu Jitsu coach pretty much tells everyone to run. "Hey coach, I am gassing out." "Yes, yes you are... are you running?" "No..." "Run".

I mean, I lift and all that because I like being big and strong and having a sexy round tushy, but in the end running is going to do a lot. And then roll as much as possible.

Leave a comment:

• plasma
    replied
    You want to be better at Jiu Jitsu. Do Jiu Jutsu. However, I will say after my wake up call, I started running and fixed my diet. Eventually I added weight lifting and swimming.

Leave a comment:

• gregaquaman
    replied
    The supplements are a bit like changing the tables settings on the titanic. Start by training hard as a mother fucker and work from there.

A little trick our guys do is get together on their day off and do ten rounds of hard sparring.

we have a twelve week program going on at the moment. Check the Facebook link. That is a lot of off the street doing fight prep style training.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 3/07/2015 11:59pm, .

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X