X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article: You don�t need to win in sparring by Damien Trainor

by world class Muay Thai champion Damien Trainor

http://www.damientrainor.com/2012/yo...in-in-sparring

For the long time forum members this might be ideas you've seen before put forth also by people who have been training martial arts for a long time.

This article also goes into how you can maximize your sparring to work on certain areas; clinch only, against the ropes, a one-limb handicap. Check it out and share!

Good article. I feel like I have to print this out and staple it to a few guys' heads.

Comment

I think there is a time and a place for going hard.

It serves as a good way to test new fighters and see what's really working when the pressure is on.
      Not being contrary to the author at all just looking at it through the eyes of the "survivor".

Comment

I agree to an extent. I firmly believe that if you're not getting your @$$ handed to you in sparring, you're not getting any better. I do think that you have to win sometimes, though, if only to practice moves you wouldn't go for when you're getting your sh*t wrecked and for confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by td82394 View Post
          I agree to an extent. I firmly believe that if you're not getting your @$$ handed to you in sparring, you're not getting any better. I do think that you have to win sometimes, though, if only to practice moves you wouldn't go for when you're getting your sh*t wrecked and for confidence.
          There is a difference between getting handled and getting beaten down. I think he is more referring to having your nose broken, elbow popped or other actual injury. 50-60% is going fairly hard. It isn't all out but it is solid work. I think that is the point of the article.

Comment

Good article

Comment

Winning at sparring is like winning at setting up a chess board, or winning at warming up before a race.

Comment

It's not that black and white for me.

When other fighters come to your gym (or vice-versa) It's almost like a fight, and there should be a bit of a battle IMO. So long as nobody is outclassed.
                Even then, when I've been outclassed and trying to "win" it has only made me better.

In my experience the guys that are competitive at sparring and don't mind hitting and getting hit are the guys who fight, and fight well.

Comment

Good article.

"Winning" at mock combat is still mock winning, imho, so bragging about winning a sparring match is like bragging that you can land a plane because you play Microsoft Flight Simulator.

You might be able to land a plane, but you won't know until you have to. The more you train at sparring, the better your chances, right? Winning doesn't matter except when it counts.

I like the author's use of "Situational sparring". I do that with my own training partners, swapping roles of attacker and defender, swapping target areas, technique categories (e.g. throws vs punching) etc. Sometimes new sparring partners are so tense and unsure of themselves, you need to start small and basic anyway. Just my 0.02.

* Oh and someone needs to send this article to a certain Dan H. living in Boston.
                  Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/16/2012 1:51pm, .

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
                      Good article.

"Winning" at mock combat is still mock winning, imho, so bragging about winning a sparring match is like bragging that you can land a plane because you play Microsoft Flight Simulator.

You might be able to land a plane, but you won't know until you have to. The more you train at sparring, the better your chances, right? Winning doesn't matter except when it counts.
                      This sounds like you haven't sparred enough, and you're just putting in rhetorical opinions.

Its not really winning or losing to begin with, most of the time, because most sparring partners are either better than you or worse than you. And of different shapes and sizes. If both of the guys did the best they can at whatever contact level, sure, but when do you ever see that? I'm either feeling like someones going easy on me and I'm trying my best, or visa versa. So its not even like doing flightsim. Which is a bad analogy to begin with because in MS flight sim you aren't fighting another person.

This other point isn't directed at WR, but at the general thread.
                      You know if you're better or worse than someone pretty quickly, and you adjust so that your opponent can have a meaningful sparring session. If you're winning or losing in sparring, its not really sparring. Its a fight that happened in sparring.

Comment

what? every time i spar i win. i fuck those cunts up. how dare they cross hands with me, I FEED THEM THEIR UNBORN CHILDREN IN A FUCKING KNUCKLE SANDWICH OF HATE

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                          what? every time i spar i win. i fuck those cunts up. how dare they cross hands with me, I FEED THEM THEIR UNBORN CHILDREN IN A FUCKING KNUCKLE SANDWICH OF HATE
                          Are you sure they are not going easy on you, and even pretending to be foaming at the mouth and pretending they have temporary dementia after the sparring session, and also quitting the gym to simulate you showing them that after all they don't think kickboxing is really for them???

Comment

Originally posted by dwkfym View Post
                            This sounds like you haven't sparred enough, and you're just putting in rhetorical opinions.

Its not really winning or losing to begin with, most of the time, because most sparring partners are either better than you or worse than you. And of different shapes and sizes. If both of the guys did the best they can at whatever contact level, sure, but when do you ever see that?
                            I definitely said I don't view sparring as win/lose. I was arguing against that sort of mentality, but I can see why you thought otherwise. I still think you get the hypercompetitive (i.e. gamer mentality) types ruining good sparring sessions...I've encountered those people in every MA I've done sparring in.

It was my judo sensei who taught me to gauge my opponent's level of commitment and match it, especially on the ground. One day I asked him why he rolled so hard with me and he told me "because you try so much". Oh, if only that kind of advice grew on trees...

The "I'm going to win this sparring match against you" guy is the one that I punch square in the face at the first opportunity. It wouldn't matter what your sparring credentials are, I have had training enough to know when people are really trying to hurt me vs. trying improve their skills.
                            Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/27/2012 8:29am, .

Comment

I was criticizing your analogy. I never stated you think otherwise. There is not a lot about sparring that is like flight simulators, even if you're talking about multiple participants dogfighting. Sparring sessions, if they turn into a win/lose session its not really mock combat is it? Sure, you got gloves and stuff but there is nothing 'mock' about sparring session turned fight, or a real ring fight. It only shows you haven't been in enough very competitive sparring sessions or a fights.

Also, don't downplay the competitive spirit so much. I agree with you if someone is like that all the time they are being dicks, but there is a point where someone is just being a pussy and whining about how the other guy isn't cutting him enough quarter. A sparring session is a bit of 'playing' and 'trying techniques' but a good part of it still is 'pressure testing' to varying degrees. A competitive spirit is helpful in healthy doses. Level of contact and the competitiveness of a sparring session is dynamic even within the session. You still want to know how much you've improved against someone better, and if a junior is going too hard, you have to go hard back just to show him that you're still above him. This isn't exactly win/loss mentality, but if he keeps pushing it, it will become a 'fight' and in a true sense 'win/lose' thing.

Now I understand I've been a dick to a lot of your posts, and I apologize for that but sometimes I feel you are putting in your opinion when it only has marginal value or flat out uphelpful. Though, it hasn't been detrimental and often times its funny so don't think I have malicious feelings towards you.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X