hooking and uppercuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hooking and uppercuts

Hey all, does anyone have any views on weather hooks and uppcuts should just be used on the body, any experience with hand injury due to ungloved uppercuts or hooks to the face? i train my boxing (as much as i possibly can) as i train to fight for real,are hooks and uppercuts worthwhile aimed at the face or are they better directed at the body. i heard somewhere that they were intended originally as body shots but im not sure on the reasoning or validity of this.

I am a boxer in the classic sense and tend to rely on my straights as i am tall however i do like to infight when opponnents are much taller than myself, which is becoming quite often, fuck people are getting taller, im 6ft 3 and feel small!

I have been debating the body or head prefernce for some time with some training partners and generally they seem to think body, but if their are face punching merits you know of please tell me.

also if anyone has any tips on performing dempsys falling step that would be great as i have been told its a great technique to pull of in the street and the ring, thanks.

Originally posted by Tommy-joe
    also if anyone has any tips on performing dempsys falling step that would be great as i have been told its a great technique to pull of in the street and the ring, thanks.
    If this is also called a drop shot Asia did a little lesson on it at a Throwdown search the video section.

Comment

You hit someone in the face with your fist and eventually your going to hurt your fist.

On a side note, what is a boxer in the classical sense? Do you box with both your hands knuckle up with your palms facing you and about half an arms length infront of your body?

Comment

lol no you misunderstand me shaolinz as in i box, not slugger or crowder, i apologise for the confusion. i think people trying to revive old bareknuckle methods are on the road to nowhere IMO.

Comment

Where do you box? Experience, who under, ect.

Comment

Both.
            You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Comment

hogs moat boxing gym, just a shitty gritty old gym really but good enough for my liking, is quite a good gym if you know any boxers who train in birmingha,uk. birmingham is really good place for boxing coaches really, apart from their is some racial tension at some of the b'ham gyms.last time i went there was a vast majoirty of large racist black guys, so thats kinda shoed me back to my old gym. im movingup to scotland next year so hopefully there will be some better stuff going on up there.

when not taught at the gym i get trained by my father who learned in the army, not ideal, and not exactly the pinnacle of technical excellence, but he knows his stuff and ive learnt a lot from him.

Comment

The falling step is not a technique, merely a drill to teach you how to put your weight behind a blow.

Comment

no im sure its a technique used by dempsy and looked into by bruce lee, ive been trying to look into it but im having trouble getting the right mechanics and application for it.

Comment

oh btw shaolinz look into bob spour as a thai boxing instructor, some of his articles are really good, i trained with him for a little while, he has written some really good articles/books on techniques/ringcraft which you may be interested in. hes based in the uk, but youll find his stuff online i am guessing.

Comment

Only thing falling step means to me (and this will show how much a newb I am), is during pad work or sparring if when we throw a lead roundhouse we fire off a right cross most of the time as the lead foot touchs the ground again. The idea behind it is to put more ooomph into your punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy-joe
                        no im sure its a technique used by dempsy and looked into by bruce lee, ive been trying to look into it but im having trouble getting the right mechanics and application for it.
                        My instructor and I reprinted the book around eighteen months ago. Trust me, it's a drill.

Comment

search function "falling step."
                          Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

Post #25 in the thread of the same name. And, re-reading it, I can see how you could look at it as a technique, though we regard it as simply part of an effective punch, something on the order of learning to roll your shoulder on a jab or cross so you don't get your teeth handed to you by the cross.

Comment

Tommy Joe, it is easier to break your hands throwing hooks to the head than straights if you are bare fisted. If you do throw be very careful where it lands. Make sure not to connect with the thumb.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X