Boxing V Muay Thai (hands only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

This question is largely rethorical since most European MT fighters have already adopted boxing hand techniques. Have you ever watched Superleague?

Comment

Originally posted by velomaster
        This question is largely rethorical since most European MT fighters have already adopted boxing hand techniques. Have you ever watched Superleague?
        The real question is have they adopted them or adapted them?

Comment

Adopt:To make one's own (an idea, belief,custom etc. that belongs to or comes from someone else).
          Adapt:To fit; to adjust; to suit.(WEBTER'S)
          So you tell me smart guy!
          Some people love to play the devil's advocate.
          Traditionally MT had no jabs. However, most European Mt fighters use them, and they call them jabs!! So they have adopted them. Also if you use jabs and kicking combinations, you have adapted them to your game. Haven't you?
          Same goes for the cross, which has been adopted and adapted as a very effective defence against the roundhouse kick. The hooks have replaced those looping punches that used to look like stiff haymakers, etc. If you look a typical MT fighter from Thailand and you compare him with a typical European MT fighter the first thing you notice is the diferences in punching, punching defenses and footwork. The European moves around, fakes and feigns more thay the Thai, very much like a boxer. The Thai fighter squares of in a gruelling exchange of strikes in which he delivers but also takes a boatload of punishment (fun to watch), that's why usually their fighting career is finished in their early 20s (they are in their prime in their late teens).
          I love MT and I love boxing and I think that the "adoption" and "adaptation" of boxing techniques has made the best kicking game even better.

Comment

Not a boxer here but wouldn't MT be able to at least on some levels just quickly converted to boxing. I don't know names or anything but I do know that one of the only divisions (besides weightlifting and the occasional archery or shooting) Thai's tend to do well in the Olympics is boxing, but since MT is Thai Boxing, I wouldn't think of seeing many Western Boxing gyms so I assume that the fighters are hands-orients MT-ers who just happen to try the Olympics.

Comment

dude, boxing is huge in thailand. dont think just because muay thai is the national sport that boxing isnt also very big there.

Comment

Heh heh ^_^;;; Oops. Well, that didn't take long. Thanks for correcting me, I woulda never thunk it. Time for this n00b to go get some research in.

Comment

I'm a Muay Thai fighter and have been training in Muay Thai for three and half years. While I train for Muay Thai fight, I usually don't worry too much about trading punches, I worry more about counter (with kicks or knees) then get out of the way. My hands was mainly for countering I rarely go up to opponent and use my hands. If I do use my hands, it's usually very weak boxing to set up kicks or knees. This cause me to neglect a lot on fight out of tight spot such as against rope or in the corner. I never really use any body shots with punches because my knees usually will take care of it if I get close enough.

Since I start boxing, I have been moving my head a lot more, dancing around my opponent instead of stand in front and occassionally move to side. I also try to get in close to use my hands against the body as well and use hook a lot more which is something I almost never use in Muay Thai. In Muay Thai only hands technique I really use are jabs, cross, and uppercut and that's mainly to counter or set kicks/knees up.

However many sparring partner have hard time to fight me for few reason. I usually change my stance (Muay Thai being much more frontal while boxer tend to turn slightly to side) when I'm in boxer stance, they usually have harder time to hit my body (obiviously) but if I am going toward them and got them against the rope, I usually go to Muay Thai stance (a bad habit) which make it harder for my opponent to go around me as quick as if I was in boxing stance. Also when opponent are tired, I usually have almost no fear going close and throw combos but in Muay Thai I'm very caution because even a tired opponent can throw a teep or kick out of blue which cover more distance than hands. Other thing I notice is my legs get tired way faster in boxing than in Muay Thai because Mauy Thai doesn't move around as much as boxer does. So I have to be caution until I can improve my stamina and endurance on that part. My hook are also wider and looser which occassionally catch some boxer by surprise but at same time get me in more trouble than Muay Thai.

So basically I think Muay Thai who use their hands in boxing will have some small advantage but at same time they are at huge disadvatage. While boxer would have to watch out for something they're not use to and if they are smart, they can easily take a Muay Thai guy out. If theyaren't prepared and expect a Muay Thai guy to fight like a boxer then boxer will have very difficult time against Muay Thai guy. I also believe Muay Thai guys are much more vulnerable to body shot than boxer are due to their stance. However boxer usually have much better combo, conditioning for boxing, and speed which will give Muay Thai guy a very difficult time after a few minutes.
                  I would pick bag work over masturbating, fighting over sex, and KOing someone over having a orgasm!

Comment

well all i have to say is that most of the Thai fighters i know that dont know boxing are the sloppest punches (and sometimes kickers) i know. But that doesnt mean all of Muay Thai fighters are sloppy, but i hate to say that alot of them are.

Comment

how the fuck can someone who takes TKD say that any other style has sloppy punches? shit dude, compared to tkd every other style is muhammad ali personified when it comes to punching.

heres my broad statement of the day-

most tkd people i know over the internet are fucking morons.

Comment

This has been a great thread. As a guy with no idea about anything, how much does scoring/going-for-the-decision have on game-plans in the ring? And if it does in some measure affect things, are there good strategic considerations for the various differences in the use of hands across the different styles/organizations/rule sets, or have the covered issues coupled with personal style and/or training pretty much accounted for everything?

Comment

im not sure what you mean. winning the fight is generally a good gameplan. scoring more points= winning. you see where im going here right?

Comment

I'm with you, but in the scoring (and again, I'm just asking because I have no fucking clue, my knowledge of decisions come solely from Mike Tyson's Punch Out), are there differences in how MT is scored vs. boxing vs. kickboxing, etc. Is a hit a hit, or do some organizations tend to require more power or whatever, thus affecting how or what is thrown?

Am I making sense, or just being an over-analytical clown? As an engineer, I do that, so it's cool to tell me so.

Comment

i get you. depends on the organisation and even the country. in thailand for instance they basically don't score at all for punches unless they have a dramatic effect, but score big for elbows and knees (you even get a bonus to your purse if you KO someone with a spinning elbow in many arenas)

in japanese kickboxing (think k-1) they tend to score more for punches. or whoever in the ring has more potential to sell tickets and airtime. they all tend to award aggressiveness and of course damage.

realise though that these systems dont award individual points for punches. in a most basic sense, a fighter is scored out of 10 for a round. if they win the round they score a 10, if they lost the round they score a 9. if they got knocked down or a serious ass beating, they score an 8 (this is a ROUGH guideline)

Comment

Gotcha, thanks.

Does anyone think that plays any part in affecting the use of hands? Or is that pretty secondary to everything else already mentioned?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X