Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxing V Muay Thai (hands only)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by Kidspatula
    we were talking under muay thai rules, not MMA.
    I had a question about that in my post. Do you think the boxing style of an uppercut, (bent knees, driving upward with the legs), would fair well in a Muay Thai match? Or is the Thai style of throwing an uppercut that seems to rely upon the obliques a better way of throwing the punch for a M.T. match?

    Comment


      #62
      I think the boxing style is peachy if one can do it. The problem is that when you're in that tight of range a lot of muay thai fighters will try and clinch you up so it can make it problematic.

      Comment


        #63
        id go for the "inglewood jack" style uppercut that buakaw used to pwn souwer in the k-1 max final. not because its better but because it looks fucking hilarious

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by Alex
          id go for the "inglewood jack" style uppercut that buakaw used to pwn souwer in the k-1 max final. not because its better but because it looks fucking hilarious
          I haven't seen that match. Is it a 'bolo' uppercut? Roy Jones Jr. used to throw those against weaker opponents, like his chicken dance, (granted his nickname was "Reluctant Roy" because he preferred to dance on weaker opponents than go for the better fighters), but the bolo punch is sort of a diss move in boxing. If you throw that in boxing, you want to showboat. To get knockedout out by it is.... unthinkable.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolo_punch

          Comment


            #65
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ktZ...%20vs%20buakaw

            second knockdown he scores is the one im talking about

            Comment


              #66
              not sure I'm picturing what you mean by bolo punch, but in that fight Souwer was kind of turtling up and Buakaw brought his hand down to hip level and I guess... curled the punch into his face (sort of a pulling motion bringing the hand up to Souwer's face along with turning into it).
              Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by Alex
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ktZ...%20vs%20buakaw

                second knockdown he scores is the one im talking about
                seems pretty ordinary to me. What's special about that uppercut?
                52 blocks documentary: arrived

                "Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

                Comment


                  #68
                  it's pretty different from your standard uppercut. Standard uppercut = bend at the knees, dip down slightly and fire straight up. This one he just kinda swings into Souwer's face.
                  Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

                  Comment


                    #69
                    i hope thats not how youve been taught to throw uppercuts meng >_<

                    Comment


                      #70
                      That's a bolo punch. The big deal with it in boxing is that the person throwing the punch drops their hands, so it's considered a total lack of respect against the opponent. The closest equivalent I can think of is a grappling match and turning your back to the opponent.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by Alex
                        i hope thats not how youve been taught to throw uppercuts meng >_<
                        /points to style field. Sorry, that is sort of how they teach it. I do know better, but I'm no expert on uppercuts. You don't see a lot of coil and pop-up uppercuts in MMA or kickboxing, which is most of what I watch, so that doesn't help.
                        52 blocks documentary: arrived

                        "Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

                        Comment


                          #72
                          weak excuse for having shit uppercuts. look at masato, he can throw uppercuts very well and hes a kickboxer. throwing them without ducking is possibly even worse because it leaves a giant hole in your defense and if you are close enough to uppercut you probably arent about to get kicked in the head anyway.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by Alex
                            weak excuse for having shit uppercuts. look at masato, he can throw uppercuts very well and hes a kickboxer. throwing them without ducking is possibly even worse because it leaves a giant hole in your defense and if you are close enough to uppercut you probably arent about to get kicked in the head anyway.
                            sorry, not every kickboxer trains the same way. There's international rules kickboxers who train well, and there's American kickboxing taught at a school club, which is simply not on the same level.
                            52 blocks documentary: arrived

                            "Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

                            Comment


                              #74
                              I have sparred pretty much only boxing guys and muay thai guys.

                              I have come across muay thai guys who couldnt punch for shit, relying on their kicks and knees to do the damage.
                              I have also come across muay thai guys who COULD punch for shit, in alot of cases, better than me, and im primarily a boxer.

                              It can depend on how you train and who with.

                              I tend to find that MT fighters who spar mainly with boxers are the ones that slip and weave around their opponents punches, while MT guys who spar mainly with other MTers are more concerned about leg kicks and things of that nature.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by Jez
                                I have sparred pretty much only boxing guys and muay thai guys.

                                I have come across muay thai guys who couldnt punch for shit, relying on their kicks and knees to do the damage.
                                I have also come across muay thai guys who COULD punch for shit, in alot of cases, better than me, and im primarily a boxer.

                                It can depend on how you train and who with.

                                I tend to find that MT fighters who spar mainly with boxers are the ones that slip and weave around their opponents punches, while MT guys who spar mainly with other MTers are more concerned about leg kicks and things of that nature.
                                Thanks for the comments, most of us spar in our own style.
                                Last edited by WhiteShark; 7/09/2006 9:10pm, .

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X