"Knock Out" Blows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Knock Out" Blows

So yesterday I discovered that this little tiny woman who works for me is a TKD brown belt. She does it 100% for fitness, not fighting, but we discussed MA in general a little but one thing she said really made me think...

She suggested that the ultimate knock out blow (and by knock out I mean literally - smack someone and they lose conciousness) was a kick to the head. I doubt this, but my experience is limited.

I was trying to think of all the KTFOs I've seen and I'd have to say that based on my limited experience, the most effective blows to knock someone out would be:

- hook
    - uppercut
    - knee

What do you guys think? I'm sure I've seen way more fights ended by a decent hook than anything else.
    Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

I'll take anything that makes the head snap back or twist suddenly, or arrives on the chin. There is no magic knock out attack. Anytime you hit anything with sufficent speed, angle, and power, you can knock a mofo out.

The real question is, what are you most likley to connect with?
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Comment

I saw a dope pusher kick a drunk in the head. drunk got KTFO'd.

Not quite a fair fight though.
      :new_all_c

Comment

A kick to the head certainly has the potential to be a knockout blow. However it is difficult to perform and telegraphed. High skill levels are required to kick to the head.

A better option for the average person, prticularly in a no-gloves situation, is a "power-slap" a la Peter Consterdine.

Comment

A roundhouse to the head (clean) usually results in a K.O. or atleast a knocked down and dazed opponent. Very rarely will you see a guy take a clean teh to the head and not atleast go down.

Comment

That's what i think too. But were not exactly Cung Le each and every one of us, so I'd still say that stuff like uppercut, hook, elbow, knee and headbutt are "better".

Comment

Originally posted by Grashnak
              I've seen way more fights ended by a decent hook than anything else.

Yes. It's the blow you don't see coming. :israel7va
              You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Comment

Cro-cop says, "Round kick!"
                Bas says, "Hooook the liver!"
                Tyson says, "grrblehe spit... uppacut!"

I think the best KO shot is the one that you can land and cause the most CNS disruption.

Comment

there are two different things going on here:

a: the "best" knockout blow, period.

b: the best knockout blow that you can actually land at a reasonable skill level on a reasonably alert opponent.

telegraphing is not a problem for point a; it is very obviously a problem for b.

my votes for a tend to go to round kicks and spinning backfists. i would somewhat hesitate to suggest those for category b.

Comment

chances are, if you see it coming, regardless of how hard it is (depending on what kind of a jaw you have I guess) it won't KO you. The one and only time I've been KO'd wasn't even from a hard punch, it just happened to come out of no where when I was completely unexpecting it and the next thing I knew I was falling to the canvas. I think kicks to the head tend to be pretty good KO shots not only because they hit hard, but because it always comes as a bit of a shock to people to get kicked in the head. Of course, a clean thai kick across the neck/jaw line is gonna be hard to recover from regardless (example: Ramon Dekkers vs Danny Bill, or Yodsanklai vs JWP).
                    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

This is why people throw combinations. They build to a ko you do not anticipate without a lot of practice.

For a single knockout blow using the hands I would always go for a slap from a standing start or a liver hook from a dynamic situation. Both are safe to use without gloves which should be the PRIMARY concern for anyone learning how to defend themselves. A broken hand is a lost fight. Headbutts are also great for this reason but are hard to get sometimes.

If you are just training for the ring then a regular left hook to the jaw is good.

Comment

I think you'll obviously see way more punch knockouts because people throw way more punches :P

I think your friend is probably correct in saying that a kick to the head has the most KO potential even if it doesnt happen paticularly often.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShark
                          Cro-cop says, "Round kick!"
                          Bas says, "Hooook the liver!"
                          Tyson says, "grrblehe spit... uppacut!"

I think the best KO shot is the one that you can land and cause the most CNS disruption.
                          Wrong, its ""grrblehe, munch, munch, spit earlobe... uppacut!".

Grash, I think your friend was referring to the most powahfull way to KO someone, independently of whether that's the most common or higher % move. Ignoring how easy or hard it is, a kick would seem like the nastiest way to get a KO... with a flying knee to the chin a la James Irvin vs Terry Marting.

Hmmm, would slamming over the head a-la Jackson vs. Ricardo Arona be considered as well ? :)
                          Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaTrocity
                            I think you'll obviously see way more punch knockouts because people throw way more punches :P

I think your friend is probably correct in saying that a kick to the head has the most KO potential even if it doesnt happen paticularly often.
                            Unless you're flexible/taller/have long legs the angle sometimes leaves the guy eating the kick with his shoulders.

It's worth noting that some of the kick KOs tend to be a lot more severe than the disoriented stumble you see from lots of hand shots. They don't hit as often, but you are more likely to get the guy losing consciousness standing, then dropping like a sack of cement. This is actually pretty dangerous in an uncontrolled environment since that guy doesn't do anything to break his fall *at all.* I've read (but can't cite online offhand) about instances of people suffering serious injury or death from a totally "dead" fall onto a hard surface.

Comment

See, Teh to the head. Not only is it a good K.O. Its also too d34dly 4 t3h str34t.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X