X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headbutts

I have a question regarding headbutts.

I have never actually used a headbutt in a fight, ive always been one to keep my distance and use my fists, and clinch them (so they cant move around) and just knee the shit out of them.

Well one of my mates got in a bit of a biff lately, and after one headbutt, he knocked out 3 of some guys teeth, and came off un-touched himself.

Another kid at my school tried to headbutt someone in a schoolyard scrap, and ended up splitting his forehead open, while giving the other guy only a bit of a headache.

So my question is, apart from aiming for the nose, is there anything you can do to make sure you give a decent headbutt ?

headbutt a heavy bag?

Comment

yes, heavybutt a headbag. It does wonders to train your head butting. I find it conditions you very well to prevent knockouts too.

Comment

A friend told me a story from when he was living in England. Some big mook was hassling a much shorter fellow who happened to be a fairly serious football player (that's soccer to you wankers). Mr. Footy literally jumped into the air to compensate for the 12 inches worth of height difference and treated the guy's nose like a football with a diagonal sort of headbut. That was that.

Moral of the story? Practice your coordination and distancing by heading soccer balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Jez

So my question is, apart from aiming for the nose, is there anything you can do to make sure you give a decent headbutt ?

Whoever hits with more force will feel the least pain.

Comment

I gave a public service beating a few years ago where I delivered a heabutt to start the fight. Twenty minutes later I was at home in the bathroom pulling part of a tooth out of my hairline. A nasty infected wound that left a scar. 1cm cut = 200 gallons of blood.

Don't worry about practicing a headbutt. If someone gets in your face just drive your forehead into thier face. It isn't rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by Yrkoon9
              Don't worry about practicing a headbutt. If someone gets in your face just drive your forehead into thier face. It isn't rocket science.
              Exactly. And wait until they're done talking, otherwise you'll be like Yrkoon and look like a unicorn with the dude's tooth sticking out of your head :eusa_whis
              SON OF ODIN

My Punching with Power article

Comment

Originally posted by Jez
                Grab the guys head so you have control. OTOH if you have head control you might use elbows or some other technique.

Comment

To damage something (cause it to fail structurally) you have to provide an impulse greater than the maximum load of the target.

Impulse=force/time
                  F=Mass*velocity

The cranium with more force (IE greater impulse) will prevail. In any collision, the energy is delivered to the object collided with. If the object fails structurally, that energy is expended in breaking the object (propagating cracks, noise, collapsing, deforming etc.) If the object does NOT fail, that enrgy can find its way back to the delivery object. THat's why you can break your hand when you fail to break those boards in TKD class! BAsically, you need to produce the largest possible impulse, and this is usually the advantage for the cranium with more mass. (Mass indicative of greater density)

The solution?...aim for something soft. Cartilege (Nose) has low density. Facial bones are pretty weak too. Just avoid his forehead and all the rocket science is moot.

See...it IS rocket science!
                  Last edited by Scrapper; 6/15/2006 10:25am, .
                  And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Make sure your head is lower than theirs. You don't want to engage in ram-like forehead on forehead concussion matches.

Use your legs to generate your power (go figure) and launch the front of your head at the target.

There's lots of headbutting stuff in FMAs.
                    Originally posted by Canuckyokushin
                    I would so do Buttsecks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapper
                      F=Mass*velocity

Actually, almost failing physics taught me its Mass times velocity squared.
                      Sorry if that was nitpicking.

On topic, can being shorter be and advantage in the context of headbutting?
                      Since you'd be less prone to impact with the forehead and all...

Comment

Bas Rutten has an instructional on headbutting in his 5tRe3T dvd.

IIRC, he emphasizes driving your head forward and thru your target (as opposed to a more yes-nodding, heavy-metal-headbanging, type of motion) - that way the other guy won't get his head under yours and make you smash your own nose into their forehead.

-Jordan
                        -Jordan

Comment

It has a dumbass name, but towards the end of the vid Tito Ortiz talks a little bit about headbutting in someones closed guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PyF3keOs5s

Sorry if it's been posted before or if it's not relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Shard
                            yes, heavybutt a headbag. It does wonders to train your head butting. I find it conditions you very well to prevent knockouts too.
                            Marco Lala has a instructional video which includes, among other things, headbutting. He does recommend practicing headbutting on a heavy bag, and also to use your body/spine/torso to drive the headbutt as opposed to using the neck alone - of course you would use your neck if you are delivering a side headbutt, but you want your body to drive it as well.

The area of your skull which you use for headbutting should be just above the forehead, preferably the area between your eyebrows. IT SHOULD NEVER BE THE AREA ABOVE THE TEMPLES!!!! And your intended target should be the nose, cheekbones and temple areas, and to a lesser degree, the mouth (see Yrkoon and Koto's posts.)

Marco Lala's recommendations on using your body/torso sound similar to the details of headbutting a football *err* soccer ball, what is called 'heading'. Soccer players can stop cold a 1lbs soccer ball traveling at speeds of up to 70 mph with a high spin 10 revolutions per second. The most important thing is to keep your neck rigid at the moment of impact.

This is an article regarding the proper way of hitting a soccer ball with your head : http://www.coachesinfo.com/article/107/

One could argue that a soccer ball cannot be compared to a human skull, and rightly so, but a traveling soccer ball is not a fluffy pillow either - i've seen shitty soccer players being almost knocked out after trying a shitty headbutting.

Also just jerking your head towards your opponent may not do shit at all, or at least not the KO'ing painful shit that you intended. I saw a couple of dudes fighting at a GoldGyms when I was in college. It was pretty pathetic, a pair of meatheads patty caking, and one of them headbutting the other with no effect whatsoever. That was the most pathetic, ghayest shit I've ever seen.

On another note, it could also be argued that devoting a lot of time on refining your headbutts is just overthinking, and you may be better off working on other, more high percentage things on your game.
                            Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Well...I don't get that detailed. The decision to headbutt was made in about .1 seconds, I didn't aim, I just drove it home. The bad thing about fighting someone bigger than you is they are generally taller, combined with the inability to see your target when delivering the headbutt can certainly cause you to hit them in the mouth.

And contrary to a previous poster I highly recommend the headbutt while they are still talking. I think its the best time to hit someone. Way better than waiting for them to finish!

THE BEST REBUTTAL IS A HEADBUTTAL!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X