Any real difference between MT gloves and Boxing gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any real difference between MT gloves and Boxing gloves

Would it really be in my best interest to pick up a set of Muay Thai training gloves while training Muay Thai, or could I get by with my boxing gloves? And just to make this thread less retarded, how about some brands? Is the stuff at combat sports any good?

The more I searched on the internet the less of a difference I saw. The only difference I thought there would be is that the MT gloves wouldn't come in 16oz, but they do so it's a moot point.

I picked these up for boxing after getting hit by them a couple of times:
    http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=25232

Comment

combat sports has GREAT gloves.

i have a pair of windy 14oz muay thai gloves that i got in thailand, and they are nice, but i like my combat sorts (american style) 14oz gloves better. i have seen the combat sports 14oz thai style gloves and they are indistingushable from the windy ones in my opinion.

the reason that i like the american style ones better is that they have an elastic sleeve thatpulls down over the velcro to avoid velco burn on your training partners in the clinch. however that makes them hard to put on by yourself.

Comment

I've never seen a real difference, personally. I've owned Thai and International style gloves, and there is nothing stylistically that I can point to. The only true differences are the stylistic differences between glove manufacturers, not in the actual use of the glove

Comment

These are the gloves I use, I prefer 10oz. I saw the same brand used in K-1 once so I guess thats a sign of quality.

Comment

as far as i know... in general 14oz or 16oz gloves are used in training, and 8oz, 10oz or 12oz are used in a fight, depending on the size of the fighters, and whether they are amatuer or pro.

no shit YOU prefer the 10oz ones... you're not the one being hit with them, but if you train with the bigger ones, you can hit harder in sparring, and then in a fight, you are that much faster and hit that much harder with the smaller gloves.
            Last edited by Ming Loyalist; 4/20/2006 11:42pm, .

Comment

I have a pair of gloves that my friend got for fun in Thailand.
              They have loose/free thumbs. Is that normal?
              52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Comment

Originally posted by meng_mao
                I have a pair of gloves that my friend got for fun in Thailand.
                They have loose/free thumbs. Is that normal?
                I think those are more of a bag glove. I know you aren't allowed to fight with enything like that, and they won't even let spar in my gym with those.

Comment

Originally posted by ojgsxr6
                  I think those are more of a bag glove. I know you aren't allowed to fight with enything like that, and they won't even let spar in my gym with those.
                  It's very well padded compared to a bag glove. And looking again, they seem to have a huge grip bar on them.

Comment

I asked a similar question on this board a while ago.

Since I didn't get a satisfactory answer, I underwent a long and careful analysis of the problem. I primarily used via the SWAG method of examining the differences in the pairs. My analysis is based on what I've personally seen and tried. :smile:

Conclusion: the only significant difference between gloves labeled "Muay Thai" and gloves labeled "Boxing" should be:

MT gloves sacrifice a very minor advantage of the Boxing gloves in making a more secure fist in order to allow the hands to open up a little bit easier. This allows the wearer to cup their hands and establish a better plum when using MT gloves.

Of course, due to marketing, I've also determined "Your Mileage May Vary" regardless of the label on the glove.
                    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                    "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                    ATTN TOM KAGAN
                    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Originally posted by meng_mao
                      It's very well padded compared to a bag glove. And looking again, they seem to have a huge grip bar on them.
                      Anything with a bar in it is a bag glove. It helps you make a proper fist better, protects your hand, and tends to hit harder as your hand has less give to it. It's the same idea as holding a roll of pennies while punching in a street fight. Needless to say, rolls of pennies and bag gloves with bars in the palm are not allowed in fights or sparring.

Some people like more padding, as it makes bag gloves have a similar feel to fight gloves and protects your hands against impact a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno
                        Anything with a bar in it is a bag glove. It helps you make a proper fist better, protects your hand, and tends to hit harder as your hand has less give to it. It's the same idea as holding a roll of pennies while punching in a street fight. Needless to say, rolls of pennies and bag gloves with bars in the palm are not allowed in fights or sparring.
                        Is the free thumb just for convenience then?

Comment

I've never really understood the need for bag gloves. I just use my sparring gloves for bag work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidspatula
                            I've never really understood the need for bag gloves. I just use my sparring gloves for bag work.
                            Bag gloves are soley designed to protect your hand. Sparring gloves are designed to help protect your sparring partner in addition to your hand.

Over time, using sparring gloves on a heavy bag will cause them to lose their ability to help protect your partner much quicker than the gloves will show visible signs of wear and tear. This is much more of a factor for heavyweights with serious knockout power. For the lighter weights and the "weekend warriors", it's just a bit of marketing.
                            Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                            "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                            Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                            Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                            Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                            Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                            Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                            I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                            TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                            ATTN TOM KAGAN
                            World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                            Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                            I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                            Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

My $30 sparring gloves seem to be just fine after a year of punching away. It would seem to me that using the heavier gloves for bagwork would be better anyway since it improves your hand speed a bit when you wear the lighter gloves in an actual match.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X