Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Going too hard or easy on a newbie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going too hard or easy on a newbie?

Wow, I haven't started a thread in a while. Omega vs Mrs. Coffeefan inspired to ask this question:

What do you guys think? Going too easy? Going too hard? Going too easy and hard in the wrong places? Pace too slow/fast? I basically want to know what I can do better in sparring new guys to help them improve faster.

I tried to keep him pressured every once in a while, because I wanted him to be better able to deal with pressure when sparring others his skill level. To my delight, he mixed it up with me a couple of times. He has pretty good footwork (I credit this to his observation skills; I always shout at everyone to keep moving when mixing it up, even though I suck at doing just that) for someone who has barely sparred before.

I'm an assistant instructor at my club, and I'm more or less in charge of getting guys ready for fights. My legs were burnt out from tabata drills so I'm really slow, but that shouldn't matter since if I turned the throttle up he wouldn't be able to keep up anyways. The kid I'm sparring started late last semester, and gets training twice or thrice a week. He started sparring middle of this semester.

Please ignore the talking guys in the video. They are advanced students but have no coaching experience.

Thanks for the help. Believe it or not Bullshido has been a valuable resource to help me run my university's kickboxing club.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 4/10/2011 10:10pm, .
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

BTW I know my skills are far far far from perfect, but I'd like to keep the thread focused on the topic
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Comment

No, that was good. I usually try to announce why I pop guys after the fact but that looked just about right.

Comment

When I first started boxing, I was clearly going to be the worst person in my gym. Speaking as a student, when I do spar with someone better then me, things like 'too hard' or 'too easy' don't really tend to cross my mind. I can be getting my ass kicked, but as long as the experience is hard and not frustrating there's something I can take away from it. It looks like you found the line between pressuring him and overwhelming him and did a good job walking it.
        "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Comment

I have to agree with Kickapoo. In my experience the most important thing is to keep them from becoming frustrated or discouraged; but you have to fight hard enough to challenged them, otherwise they're won't recieve the benefits of sparring. I think it's best to keep a back-and-forth pace, like you did in the video, so they can try things out and still get use to being under pressure.
          Last edited by korean dragon; 4/11/2011 9:02am, .

Comment

I hope you show the kid this video so he can see what to work on. I watched with no volume, but someone needs to be coaching him through the rounds.

I really like the fact that you were sticking to basics instead of showing off like some guys do with noobs. Your pace and power was right on for a guy with his experience.
            "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I linked it to him. I want him to ask questions but hes a very quiet kid. 3/4ths of the kids at my club either never make it to sparring levels or quit after the first time gloves touches face. I never thought he'd stick to it. Plus, he keeps his hands up. lol.

I don't really have any boxing gimmicks, I just stick to straight punches to open, hooks and uppercuts, and keep scootin. lol. Hands are really not my strong point.

My boxing coach loves surprising me with classic boxing gimmicks though. I seems to be his punch timing practice machine.
              Parts and Accessories
              Law Enforcement Firearms

Comment

I think you need to wear shin guards. You may think you are kicking light but its too easy to hurt newbs without them. Also, once you hurt them with a conditioned shin they can get gun shy about your kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteShark View Post
                  I think you need to wear shin guards. You may think you are kicking light but its too easy to hurt newbs without them. Also, once you hurt them with a conditioned shin they can get gun shy about your kicks.
                  Ummmm yeah. All those kicks were sure to hurt. How many kicks did you throw at him anyway?

um- edited to note that above post is sarcastic.
                  Last edited by tao.jonez; 4/11/2011 1:46pm, .
                  "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Did I miss something? I didn't see any kicks thrown.

I think Shark was offering general advice, not necessarily about the video.
                    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Comment

It was just boxing sparring. I did a tourney with no shin guards before and know how damaging bare shin kicks can be. I always wear shins when sparring with kicks, wearing the thickest shinguards that don't break and stay on. I have huge calves for my size and very dense legs.
                      Parts and Accessories
                      Law Enforcement Firearms

Comment

I did a tourney with no shin guards before and know how damaging bare shin kicks can be
                        I believe my coach's exact words on this subject were- "The first time you get hit hard with an unpadded leg kick, it feels worse than when you first realized Santa doesn't exist."

Anyway. I didn't get to watch both videos, but you're doing the philly shell(I think that's it) defense a lot in the first one. From my experience when I was first starting to spar, that was actually really frustrating and kind of made me feel like the people I was working with were just screwing around. Could have been just me. But mostly I feel like sparring with people who are totally green should be more about showing how to use the techniques they've learned properly, and not "neener neener, you can't hit me". I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but that's what it can feel like from the other end.
                        Last edited by Neo Sigma; 4/11/2011 8:28pm, .

Comment

Neo, thanks for the criticism. I was kinda thinking that too while I was doing it. The mitigating factor is that I suck at the shoulder roll and get punched a lot anyways. lolz.

Fortunately when I did the tourney I was usually the guy kicking. Despite that, my feet look like this:
                          That was a few days after the tourney, it was much much worse and bigger right after the tourney. (BTW I hardly ever bruise!)
                          Parts and Accessories
                          Law Enforcement Firearms

Comment

When Whiteshark kicks people without shinguards their limbs explode like it's some kind of kungfu action movie, so he has a real thing for shinguards now.

Starting with shinguards is definitely preferred from the perspective of this noob. Every time I've been nailed by an unpadded shin it's been enough to stop me and make me take a break. Start padded, work up to unpadded is the way our MT works.
                            Last edited by Kintanon; 4/12/2011 12:53pm, . Reason: ADV Striking Forum
                            sigpic

Comment

The only other thing I can suggest is to deliberately open yourself up on occasion, to help train the noob to see that and capitalize on it. Drop your hands after a punch or something (ie do a common mistake people make, not something super-dumb or rare/exotic) and get them to react properly. Yah, you get hit, but you enjoy that, right?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X