Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Boxing sparring: headgear or no headgear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boxing sparring: headgear or no headgear?

Hi,

How much faster my brains turn in to non-living jelly if I use no headgear when sparring? My coach says the helmets are mostly to prevent cuts from headbutts etc when you're clinching but I can't imagine this being the complete truth. It's obviously more comfortable and light / free when I wear no headgear and I don't feel any worse when I get caught than when I wear one. We are sparring with 14-16oz gloves in the gym.

Depends, on how hard you spar. If you don't go any harder than 50%, I'd say no head gear is a valid option. Any harder and I'd say you're better of with head gear.

Comment

We spar pretty light but as me and my sparring partners are newbies it's sometimes an effort to keep it light when people get excited (or hurt) :)

My head feels like a frisbee from yesterday's sparring practice.. need to learn not to go and brawl in the clinch when I have a big reach advantage over my opponent :happy:

Comment

Is as simple as do both. Sometimes Headgear and sometimes no... although for more intense sparring you might want headgear

Comment

The real reason you want headgear is to protect your hearing. If you get whacked in the ear with a boxing glove, the compressed air can burst your eardrum. I always wear headgear for this reason (musician, see!)

Comment

I typically don't wear head gear, and haven't had any issues with it. Some of my sparring partners wear them, but I think it is more of a convidence thing. However, I just recently had nose surgery, and am probaly going to have to start wearing some type of head gear to protect the nose for a while. Haven't found a good option yet. I'll let you know how that goes.

But as for me, I never found any benefit from wearing them, unless I was already banged up from annother sparring session and was trying to heal up.
            Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

I have worn both And also haven't noticed any difference. But I don't know about long term effects either way.

I do wear one when I box but that is mostly because if I dont I get hit harder for being a cocky bastard.
              Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
              http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Wearing headgear is smart if you clinch at all - it'll protect you from headbutts, cauliflower ear, Velcro abrasions, and the aforementioned popped eardrum. It also helps if you're sparring hard. Getting gear that fits properly is vital, otherwise you'll be constantly adjusting it and it will distract and irritate you.

Sidebar - I've had my eardrum burst by a fairly light hook that was timed just right. No big deal, no permanent damage, but it wouldn't have happened if I was wearing gear.
                "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

In addition to the aforementioned reasons for headgear,
                  i've fallen onto my forehead clutching my gut after a good body-shot and was glad i had mine on then.

Comment

i dont wear one, im too fucking hardcore.

Comment

Originally posted by tao.jonez View Post
                      Wearing headgear is smart if you clinch at all - it'll protect you from headbutts, cauliflower ear, Velcro abrasions, and the aforementioned popped eardrum. It also helps if you're sparring hard. Getting gear that fits properly is vital, otherwise you'll be constantly adjusting it and it will distract and irritate you.

Sidebar - I've had my eardrum burst by a fairly light hook that was timed just right. No big deal, no permanent damage, but it wouldn't have happened if I was wearing gear.
                      What he said. It doesn't help much with concussive force, but at harder contact and with clinch work, it can prevent cuts, abrasions and otherwise face-uglification. I have also had my eardrum burst, at a TD no less, from a pretty light shot sans head gear. Like tao, no permanent issues, but wouldn't have happened with headgear.

Comment

IMHO if you box seriously, you should have some headgear as part of your training gear. If you have it, why not wear it? My boxing headgear fits great and breathes well compared to the crappy dipped foam headgear I used to have.

Comment

From the study: EFFECTIVENESS OF BOXING HEADGEAR FOR LIMITING INJURY:
                          Based on the current effort,
                          the currently designed headgear and
                          gloves are effective in reducing the risk
                          of injury.
                          Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                          "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                          Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                          Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                          Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                          Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                          Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                          I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                          TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                          ATTN TOM KAGAN
                          World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                          Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                          I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                          Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

I find any benefit offered by wearing headgear is offset by your partner's perception that you are wearing a cushion on your head and thus can be hit as hard as they can throw a punch.
                            "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
                            Kenny Weldon

Comment

Originally posted by Sang View Post
                              I find any benefit offered by wearing headgear is offset by your partner's perception that you are wearing a cushion on your head and thus can be hit as hard as they can throw a punch.
                              Sometimes your partner is supposed to be doing that.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X