• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    Assumes facts not in evidence.
    Well I can at least confirm that he's on the internet. A quick Google search also confirms that he's on his way to the supreme court.

Overruled!

Leave a comment:

• UpaLumpa
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    Damn.
    Am I the only normal chunner on the internet?
    Assumes facts not in evidence.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    Damn.
    You have to ask?

Leave a comment:

• Tom Kagan
    replied
    Originally posted by War Wheel View Post
    No, I'm being honest about my own motivations in seeking WC instruction back in the day.

Chunner!
    Damn.

Leave a comment:

• KO'd N DOA
    replied
    Before - I was a skeptic too!!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    You are overthinking this.
    No, I'm being honest about my own motivations in seeking WC instruction back in the day.

Chunner!

Leave a comment:

• Tom Kagan
    replied
    Originally posted by War Wheel View Post
    There is a reason why arts like Wing Chun that promise to deliver skill with which to overwhelm our antagonists are so seductive: They offer the illusion that practicing and refining skills like speed hitting, simultaneous attack, interception, redirection, and delivering an oversaturating flurry of blows will overwhelm and confuse our antagonists, who, being of limited curiosity, and being ignorant of the secret theoretical knowledge will finally experience the fear and disorientation the "believer" feels when subjected to their brute aggression.
    You are overthinking this.

Leave a comment:

• Vorpal
    replied
    I used to believe in being skeptical, now I'm not sure.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Phillips
    replied
    HM... never read this one before. Glad it got Necroed.

Let me make a couple of comments while this is revived:

It is very important to distinguish between not scientific and not True. If there is a rational, empirical basis for believing something then one could say that belief is scientific; if there is no such basis, then maintaining that such a belief describes some true feature of the world is irrational. That does not mean that the world lacks such a property. Chi (for example) may, in fact, be a real thing which has not been adequately characterized. Science, by necessity, takes an extremely conservative view of what does and does not exist, by demanding a rational basis for any concept before giving (provisional) support to it.

Modern popular skepticism runs the risk of becoming just another pre-canned, uncritical way of looking at the world; one that uses Scientific American instead of the Bible. What is important is not accepting only scientific ideas as ture, but understanding the arguments that support belief in each Idea.

On the subject of the tendency to want to believe in the supernatural, I think that the root cause may be as much a feeling of powerlessness, as it is social ineptitude. I think there is a reason why so many here have a common background in things like d20 gaming (or any form of role playing) and Wing Chun, and that reason is the desire for control. To a person whose social life feels out of control, the illusion of control (and understanding) is a serious temptation, whether it takes the form of belief in incantation, obsession with "alternative identities" in RPG's, subcultures, or internet fora. Or it can take the form of belief in alternative strategies for self defense. There is a reason why arts like Wing Chun that promise to deliver skill with which to overwhelm our antagonists are so seductive: They offer the illusion that practicing and refining skills like speed hitting, simultaneous attack, interception, redirection, and delivering an oversaturating flurry of blows will overwhelm and confuse our antagonists, who, being of limited curiosity, and being ignorant of the secret theoretical knowledge will finally experience the fear and disorientation the "believer" feels when subjected to their brute aggression. It is worth noting that the goal is almost always to confuse, and overwhelm rather than to simply win the fucking fight. IMO the seductive part of this SD scenario is that it is an exercise in emotional revenge. It also helps that "FOOM" stands for "Friends Of Ol' Marvel (comics)"

Also @ Phrost: Do you have any of Manly P Hall's stuff?

Excellent article.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 5/07/2010 8:49am, .

Leave a comment:

• Lomo.P(L)ateado
    replied
    I dont remember because of the shock, but I recall I was told body temperature was taken from my ass and from my ear. So yes it was taken properly.

I stayed five days in Bergens Haukelund Avis. I was walking less than 24 hours after the fall. And went partiying with a spanish medicine student of the erasmus program, Gema, the day after. Then came my "Vieja" and my Karma was broken again...

Bergen is expensive.

P.S. Can anyone help me to actualize the stats from my frikifu account?.edit [PLEASE] edit I insist there is absolutely no intention of "sockpuppeting".

Alfredo.
    Last edited by Lomo.P(L)ateado; 5/07/2010 5:47am, .

Leave a comment:

• pokeroo
    replied
    This post sounds very similar to the way my beliefs slowly evolved towards being more and more skeptical or paranormal claims. frikifu, my bet is that your temperature was taken improperly.

Leave a comment:

• frikifu
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DunkelAnanas
    replied
    I went through the whole supernatural phase back when I was a "preteen". I had purchased an Ashida Kim book entitled "Ninja Mind Control". It was in part thanks to this site, and the investigation of that wackjob, that helped me realized that it was bullshit (the book itself is also a good indication of this guy's insanity. If anyone has the displeasure of reading this "book", be prepared for hand signs taken straight out of a Narutard's wet dream). I have a pretty extensive book collection of about 200 or so books I have bought and read, and "Mind Control" is the only book I ever threw out. Thank you Phrost for creating Bullshido and helping me see the light.

Leave a comment:

• Bear1980
    replied
    Hmm Good article
    (I went through the Whole Golden Dawn/Crowley phase when i was a teen also.)

Still, at the end of the day is it really better to be sceptical about things?
    Im not soo sure.

Leave a comment:

• Shinshoryu
    replied
    For some reason this reminds me of an old saying I once heard: "every convert ends up fanatic"

Or something like that.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X