Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

History of the Martial Arts Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History of the Martial Arts Business

http://www.ExtraordinaryMarketing.comhttp://www.MileHighKarate.com

Martial Arts Schools Coaching:
    http://www.MartialArts-Mastermind.com

Martial Arts School and Karate School Management, Marketing, and Business Support

Not in the area you teach hell no. If what you said right here was true, I could walk into any McDojo and find someone capable of taking out Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris, Benny the Jet, etc etc etc. I can't.

Now before you do what I think comes next, no you can't use the Gracies, K-1, UFC, Randy Chuck or any MMA fighter. Why?

That isn't what you teach.

Bwahahahahahahaha student retention does not equal fighters.

Great strawman. Bravo. Bravo.

Comment

Just in case.

There is so much stupid crap in here it is ridiculous.

Comment

I think this is a duplicate of another article he posted. No duplicates allowed. I'll erase the earlier one.

Comment

In my opinion, things were always better in the old days. Except for some things that are better now than they've ever been. Or maybe... things have always been the same, or rather, things have always been different.

Whatever the case, I think the true answer is: WHO GIVES A @#$%!!!

Comment

Staff: We need to set a policy on the moderation level for the articles here. MABS, or YMAS.

Criticism is perfectly fine, but we need to decide what the line is between criticism and non-productive responses.

Comment

Haha.
              This needs to be moved to the humor articles. Boyd and Hedgehogey couldn't top this.

Comment

Stephen,

You speak of the good old days and vaguely refer to how careless and unsafe training was then. I will give you a point on that the retarded factor was still evident when I started in the late 80's. Your attempt to justify the methodology you employ is weak. In an attempt to mass produce martial artist you forget one thing. Not everyone is equal and not everyone is cut out for martial art training.

Real training gyms have for a long time understood the need for safety while sparring. Pads and safety head gear are used in every boxing gym and full contact club across the country. Contact is delivered at various levels depending on the stage of the participant. The real truth is that the techniques that are learned during full contact are effective and no one doubts the use of them.

This is where your Mcdojo status comes into play. You will promote people on the basis of showing up and paying fees. As long as they meet some arbitrary minimum requirements they advance in your schools. Back in the day of many martial arts you had to go out and prove yourself to earn a rank. This is still the way it is in BJJ and Judo. Now people are becoming educated on real training. Now people are seeing through your fancy sales pitches and are seeking real instructors to train them.

Grant it Mcdojo still has the kids market but you know what even that is slipping. Wrestling and children's grappling are moving up everyday. All those little kata robots are growing up and seeing that all that BS they learned is just BS.

Continue to justify your self in whatever means necessary. Just stop deceiving people about what kind of martial art they are getting into. Call it a performance art or physical exercise with Asian uniforms just stop comparing it to people who train their collective asses off to become just a fraction better than they were the day before.
                Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Comment

This man's grammar and writing style gave me a headache. What's with all the - dashes - everywhere? Did someone say he had written a book? What an editor's nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by pseudo-genki
                    This man's grammar and writing style gave me a headache. What's with all the - dashes - everywhere? Did someone say he had written a book? What an editor's nightmare.
                    He seriously needs to learn how to use parentheses, colons, and semicolons.

Comment

Originally posted by jkartigue
                      Stephen,

You speak of the good old days and vaguely refer to how careless and unsafe training was then. I will give you a point on that the retarded factor was still evident when I started in the late 80's. Your attempt to justify the methodology you employ is weak. In an attempt to mass produce martial artist you forget one thing. Not everyone is equal and not everyone is cut out for martial art training.

Real training gyms have for a long time understood the need for safety while sparring. Pads and safety head gear are used in every boxing gym and full contact club across the country. Contact is delivered at various levels depending on the stage of the participant. The real truth is that the techniques that are learned during full contact are effective and no one doubts the use of them.

This is where your Mcdojo status comes into play. You will promote people on the basis of showing up and paying fees. As long as they meet some arbitrary minimum requirements they advance in your schools. Back in the day of many martial arts you had to go out and prove yourself to earn a rank. This is still the way it is in BJJ and Judo. Now people are becoming educated on real training. Now people are seeing through your fancy sales pitches and are seeking real instructors to train them.
                      Interesting comments.

Totally inaccurate and uniformed but interesting.

I agree that in many cases full contact training is useful and realistic.

We do not promote people just for showing up and paying their fees.

A school doesn't have to be primarily BJJ or MMA to be credible and to be teaching substantive martial arts.

Comment

By the way ... a little history.

Full contact came into being in Martial Arts in great part due to Jhoon Rhee inventing sparring equipment. Early pioneers of Kickboxing are all participating in our upcoming (Mile High Karate) Black Belt testing (ie. Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, Jeff Smith.)

I'm totally in favor of that however what I was referring to was early days "Allen Steen's Tournament in Texas for Instance" where full-contact with and without pads on concrete floors led to serious and frequent injuries.

Comment

BULLSHIT full contact training is RANDORI promoted in Judo by Kano. The removal of striking and other injury causing techniques allows for people to train at full speed. Full contact karate style sparring has been in Japan and Okinawa since the beginning as well as Muay Thai. You don't know history. Rhee pads brought sparring to America and the light contact crowd.

Go visit Denver Judo club bow on the mat and let a blind man show you how to really train.
                          Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Comment

"Go visit Denver Judo club bow on the mat and let a blind man show you how to really train."

Hell yeah! Scott would demolish anybody out of MHK.

Comment

I have seen footage on Mr. Oliver with one of his "good" students performing kicking drills. I thought they both demostrated poor form which will limit their potential (cutting corners is not the making of champions). Never-the-less, she recieved a good workout, praise, and felt great about it. My point is...Mr. Oliver is providing a service that his customers are willing to pay.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X