Choki Motobu The master of fighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choki Motobu The master of fighting

Last edited by RurikGreenwulf; 6/08/2012 7:30pm, .

Thanks IIF for moving it!
    Yeah I know my english is not the best any corrections are more than welcome, hope you people like it

Comment

Very cool to learn a little more about Motobu sensei thank you.

Comment

Wonderful history lesson it's great to have a better understanding of Karate thanks for the post.

Comment

The story of fighting the large, overconfident, Oriental-hating Russian boxer has become a fairly popular East Asian martial arts myth. I've heard basically the same story said about several different old masters.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
            The story of fighting the large, overconfident, Oriental-hating Russian boxer has become a fairly popular East Asian martial arts myth. I've heard basically the same story said about several different old masters.
            http://seinenkai.com/articles/noble/noble-motobu1.html
            Here is a more in-depth analisis of the boxing match
            It seems challenge matches were quite common, I believe this one is true I dont know about the others masters, can you provide a link of some of them?

Comment

cool article mate...thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
                It seems challenge matches were quite common, I believe this one is true I dont know about the others masters, can you provide a link of some of them?
                I think Lau Bun of choy li fut kung fu had pretty much the same story told about him in Doc Fai Wong's choy li fut book. I started a Google search but ended up with lots of junk like this:
                http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/u...5072&site_id=1
                Does anyone prefer boxing over martial arts. If so y? Me personaly prefer boxing with the concept of martial arts in mind while fighting. What i mean is boxers in general dont know anything but boxing, but someone who knows both could use boxing for strikes and use countering from martial arts such as chin-na, aikido and grappling. Basically boxing has less openings compared to that of taekwondo.
                and I just can't bring myself to sift through that kind of stuff to build the case for the old-Asian-master-vs-Russian-boxer trope. It has all the elements of a good fake martial arts story though- the large foreigner, who's good at the kind of fighting you know about, but you've never heard of him cause he's from Russia, and he's tough, cause he's from Russia, and he's the bad guy because we're raised on Cold War propaganda films, and of course he has no respect for kung fu/karate/etc. Or, its also possible that there were a bunch of Russian boxers who went around challenging tiny foreigners , or its possible that some Chinese people beat up some drunk Russian troublemakers and it got exaggerated from there.

Anyway, not saying that Choki's match never happened or that its exaggerated, I'm just saying that hearing that some master beat a Russian boxer sounds to me like one of those supermodel girlfriends who nobody ever gets to see because she's totally from Canada.

Comment

I seem to recall actually seeing the newspaper article with Motobu's fight in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhi108 View Post
                    I seem to recall actually seeing the newspaper article with Motobu's fight in it.
                    You are right

But the funny thing about the article is that the picture drawn was of Funakoshi instead of Motobu

Here is a link to another article featuring the same story & another interesting one

http://www.karatebyjesse.com/?p=6068

Comment

Probably worth mentioning that Motobu was an early proponent of the Bullshido ethos:

"Nothing is more harmful to the world than a martial art that is not effective in actual self-defense"

Comment

Originally posted by thrutch View Post
                        Probably worth mentioning that Motobu was an early proponent of the Bullshido ethos:

"Nothing is more harmful to the world than a martial art that is not effective in actual self-defense"
                        Indeed!
                        Thats something that is very important and that he put aliveness as a n important way to train.
                        I wonder how karate would be now If Motobu's ideas of training would have sticked rather thant funakoshi's
                        I think Karate in general would be more similar to boxing in being more alive and Think if Oyama would have trained with Motobu just think of that

Comment

Motubu did play a role in the martial upbringing of Oyama, so to speak, as many biographies found online stipulate that the stories about Motobu inspired Oyama to launch challenges of his own.
                          It is my opinion that Motobu's style was more in line of what we now know as kickboxing. It would've been wonderfull if he had written more about it.

Comment

The one footnote that Rurik neglected to translate says "2. There are certain sources that say that it was a wrestler." (my translation) "luchador" is the last word here, literally fighter or wrestler, and in context, contrasted with "boxeador," presumably refers to either a practitioner of some foreign grappling technique or a foreign judoka, if the *King* magazine story is taken as getting the general idea right.

Comment

Christ, look at his Forearms. FFS.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X