Bill O'Reilly Takes on the UFC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill O'Reilly Takes on the UFC

FOX News pundit Bill O'Reilly faced off against UFC President Dana White and Middleweight Champion Rich Franklin in a discussion about the legalization of mixed martial arts Wednesday evening.

The discussion was plagued with unclear argumentation, particularly from White and O'Reilly, which resulted in both sides thinking they were right and at-home viewers struggling to find the accurate side to take.

O'Reilly, who constantly mentioned boxing's role in Muhammad Ali's Parkinson's Disease, argued that MMA was even worse since kicking and other offensive manuevers were allowed. He cited a British study that MMA fights cause 48 concussions per thousand, while boxing bouts only cause nineteen per thousand. He also wondered, assuming the money was not vast, what the motivation for fighting could be.

White stuck to the talking point that "no serious injuries or deaths" have ever resulted from UFC competition. He began to address the strategy differences that make boxing more dangerous than MMA, but he never fully accomplished that goal and kept throwing out his main talking point. He also contested O'Reilly's claim that boxing played a role in Ali's Parkinson's.

Franklin argued that professional MMA has evolved into a safe sport due to regulation and rules changes, and it's one that allows him to fulfill his dream of being a professional athlete while remaining in good shape. While he did acknowledge that there are some risks associated with MMA competition, he does not feel unsafe, and finds his new job far more rewarding than his days as a high school teacher.
    Attached Files

O'Reilly is an ass, which aint even news really....

Comment

O'reilly is an ass, almost all his "arguments" end in both sides thinking they are right.

The only time I ever saw the show (I never sat through a whole one without getting disgusted at O'reilly) and people were in total agreement was the 5 minuite clip that seemed like the "shit on ann coulter show" where every guest and O'reilly himself were bashing her for her statements about the 9-11 wives.

I guess even a crazy whackjob like O'reilly can have a moment of lucidity in his life.

Comment

Here is the video for those who missed it.
        [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqiXpjVAj9Qhttp://www.news.adcombat.com/article.html?id=11352

Comment

O'REILLY: I am crushing your head! I am crushing your head!

Comment

That was beautiful Ted.

Comment

You almost made me spit out my coffee, TD.
              Were's that positive rep button again?

Comment

outstanding.

Comment

Someone should point out to Mr ORLY that football has practice (4.2) and game (37.0) injury rates per 1,000. Source NCAA.

Maybe we should ban football

Comment

I should point out that by injury they mean.

Injuries

A reportable injury in the Injury Surveillance System is defined as one that:

1. Occurred as a result of participation in an organized intercollegiate practice or game, and

2. Required medical attention by a team athletic trainer or physician, and

3. Resulted in restriction of the student-athlete's participation or performance for one or more days beyond the day of injury.

Comment

Another stat from discovery.com
                      Collegiate hit list

FOOTBALL 2002-03

Concussions: 3.52 per game/ practice per 1,000 athletes

Comment

This seemed to be a poorly produced segment on O'reilly. Seemed really rushed to me. It was like everyone was contacted at the last minute to do it. I did think Franklin did a good job though.

Comment

Whats the difference between Pride and the UFC?

Comment

Pride is in Japan so they can have more open rules (stomping/kicking on the ground etc.)

Comment

and more steroids.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X