Article: Matt Thornton's "Why Doesn't Everyone Train Alive?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article: Matt Thornton's "Why Doesn't Everyone Train Alive?"

Matt Thornton, founder of the Straight Blast Gym and pioneer of Mixed Martial Arts as a training method, has graciously given permission to Bullshido to feature selected articles on his views and philosophy on MA. Since his concept of "Aliveness" is one of the guiding principles on which this site bases its evaluation of what is effective training, we're excited to be showcasing these bits of wisdom with a larger audience in the hopes of raising the standards bar for all who consider themselves to be Martial Artists.

The first selection is a timely one given certain heated discussions going on in the forums at the moment. Here is a quote from the article:

You can read the rest... here
    Attached Files

I thought JKD wasn't a fighting art?

JKD wins again!

Comment

That photo is from my school!!!

yay!

Comment

That was an interesting article, indeed.

Comment

Matt must read a lot of Playboy.

Comment

That article is pure genius. Many people should not just look at it from a MA standpoint but really use it to refelect on their lives in general.

Comment

If the image you're persuing is someone who is fighting and beating people then they seem pretty compatable.

I don't disagree on any point in the article. I just don't think anyone actually has the pure competitive spirit. We all interact with other people and we all put on different faces. If being a martial artist is part of that face then part of your persuit is the image.

Also, I'm not a fan of the generalization that having traditions is equal to dead training. There are still some places out there that will spend a minute of class lining up and bowing before they beat the shit out of each other.

Comment

I don't think, that he is criticising tradition in Martial Arts.
                He criticises people for whom the appearance and the image is more important than the "performance' So I guess you can combine live training and tradition.

Comment

Image vs. Performance, Image OR performance. I believe they go hand in hand. I think that everytime I see UFC unleashed.

Yes, people should be alive in life. The alternative is not a pleasent thought.

Comment

I like that in the conclusion, Matt says that even when the focus is performance, it "still must not serve as a measurement of who YOU are".

Those who actually practice an "alive" martial arts, and yet fall into that trap of saying "my MA is better than yours", or "we are the best" are using performance to fullfill an image, an ego... at the deepest level, there is no much different from those who incur in non-alive martial arts for the same image-grooming purposes.

Comment

I agree with just about all except for this...

Sure a sportslike scenario is the closest thing we have in finding "truth" in combat ability, but for most self-proclaimed martial artists, the goal is not to reach peak fighting conditions, but rather to learn to simply defend themselves and instill discipline into their lives.

No I wouldn't call myself a "street fighter" or pride myself on numerous barfights over ring matches, but I'd rather be ready both physically and intellectually for an encounter out in public than be prepared for a brawl in a ring.

Aside from that though this has to be one of the greatest articles I've read to date.

Comment

I think everyone trains alive, I have not seen one single school that teaches MA to dead people.

Seriously though, I think people need to learn to train it in real situations, minimal resistance the first few times you try the technique so you know what the fuck you are doing. Then increase the resistance to legit level, because if you only train against a "live dummy" you are not how to apply it, but if you don't take the time to learn how to do it, you make it that much more difficult to do.

Short-short version: Learn the technique first with a "dry run", then practice it for real, don't practice it as if you are doing ballroom dancing.

Using the word "Alive" to define "Resistance training" is definately easier on the keyboard though, although it just seems like an english usage and choice of words thing.
                        Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 1/03/2006 10:28am, .

Comment

Originally posted by PEtrainer
                          That article is pure genius. Many people should not just look at it from a MA standpoint but really use it to refelect on their lives in general.
                          If you liked that, you'll love his blog. There's a lot there, and there's a lot that doesn't directly deal with martial arts, but every time I read it I get a big grin on my face. Enjoy.

Comment

Hey..that's my school!!!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X