Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Where he Exhibited a Dragon Puppet and Lip-synced Words..." ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maui_Diver
    Being the Hannah Stolte mentioned in this article, I have a few things to say. I respect your right to free speaking and close-minding thinking, but seriously, how do you get off on making fun of a style? Musical Kata is often nothing more than a traditional kata done to music. The actual category for musical kata is showmanship. It is the people who do nothing more than add music to their kata that shame this category. The Katelyn Young mentioned in this article is the blameless example of what showmanship should be. She puts countless time and energy into practicing, not just in showmanship, but in traditional Kata (which by the way has earned her a top 10 ranking in the USKA) as well. She has a very promising future in this sport, and if she wants to make it fun, as well as anyone else, why knock it? Jack with his dragon certainly adds an element of fun to his kata, which he developed all on his own. Not bad for a 9 year old green belt. Ben and I did our Kata on the spur of the moment, only practicing for a week beforehand. There is nothing wrong with trying to have fun. Also, the traditional tournemants don't allow showmanship as a category, which is ok. But for the other, smaller, less serious tournies, it's an extra bonus.

No doubt, performers in advanced XMA style competitions must develop athleticism so that they can correctly perform their gymnastics style stunts. However, what is the point of calling such things "martial arts"? They have nothing directly to do with fighting anymore, and calling them "martial arts" can only mislead the public and make them more vulnerable to bogus teachers of self defense.

Comment

It's a DANCE competition, in a gi. Label it as such, no one's going to have any issues.

It has NOTHING to do with martial arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Maui_Diver
        Being the Hannah Stolte mentioned in this article, I have a few things to say. I respect your right to free speaking and close-minding thinking, but seriously, how do you get off on making fun of a style? Musical Kata is often nothing more than a traditional kata done to music. ...
        Yes, but what is the purpose of a kata (bearing in mind that the necessities of kata are up for debate on a regular basis on this site to start with). You've further bastardized the intended purpose. If judging of martial skills is decided on things like flair and sense of fun, what is left between your flash and movements intended to improve actual fighting.?

This is part of the reason why your black belts are likely to get lumped up again and again in actual fighting situations (non-point). You've completely forgotten what your martial art is supposed to be about. You've turned it into cheerleading with belt rankings. Sorry, but there it is. I mean, since you asked. I couldn't believe what I saw on that Discovery XMA special. Fighting? Hello? Remember, that nasty stuff that somewhere that way, way down towards the bottom of your lineage they used to do? Don't you feel like, in some way, you're spitting on it?

Comment

This is a putrid perversion of martial arts.

Comment

Agree with JKD and PD on this page... if its dance then thats what it should be called... ffs MA is about fighting not dancing or playing with puppets... a spade should be called a spade...

Comment

Puppets Rule

Originally posted by Shadowdh
              Agree with JKD and PD on this page... if its dance then thats what it should be called... ffs MA is about fighting not dancing or playing with puppets... a spade should be called a spade...
              Puppetry and ventriloquism could be invaluable for diffusing an attack by bandits. I keep "Mr. Socko" handy and have practiced my ventriloquism skills for just such an emergency. I've also commited the famous "Who's on First" skit to memory.

However, Puppetry and lip-synching? That's just shameless Bullshido with no basis in real fighting. I mean seriously, even an iPod + Speakers is pretty hard to carry and wield in the heat of combat.

-daGorilla

Comment

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X