Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Where he Exhibited a Dragon Puppet and Lip-synced Words..." ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff like this almost makes me want to propose that those who train realistically should just distance themselves from the term "Martial Arts" entirely and leave it to those who want it to be an afterschool dance program that boys can participate in.

Comment

Why hasn't anyone from this forum caught this kind of stuff on tape yet?

Comment

Next year's Disney's Martial Arts festival is going on tape. I want to immortalize the 3 man musical forms competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Frost
          Stuff like this almost makes me want to propose that those who train realistically should just distance themselves from the term "Martial Arts" entirely and leave it to those who want it to be an afterschool dance program that boys can participate in.
          I find myself using the term "unarmed combat" sometimes in conversation when I'm trying to explain to someone why a lot of dojos don't actually teach you self-defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Traditional Tom
            Why hasn't anyone from this forum caught this kind of stuff on tape yet?
            Because it's the kind of material that will end up on National Geographic and they'll sue you for a shitload if you're stealing their vids?

Comment

What the hell are you talking about? I was referring to the sock puppet kata of death.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Frost
                I hate to say it but I never tell people I do martial arts. I tell them I do boxing or fight training or something similar. It still raises questions though! I never say kickboxing either 'cause they think I wear red booties and shit. Bah!

Comment

Originally posted by RedElvis
                  I hate to say it but I never tell people I do martial arts. I tell them I do boxing or fight training or something similar. It still raises questions though! I never say kickboxing either 'cause they think I wear red booties and shit. Bah!
                  Though I'm certainly not a competent fighter I've resorted to "I kind of wrestle".

Comment

Yeah, I stopped trying to explain to people a long time ago what I did. Between shitty movies and bad public perception of what martial arts are, I just don't bother anymore.

Comment

I avoid discussion and say I do "gay wrestling".

Comment

Originally posted by Aesopian
                        I avoid discussion and say I do "gay wrestling".
                        that might work in other parts of the country, but if I said that here in the hills of kentucky a whole bunch of guys named Bubba would show up with torches aand a rope

Comment

That's kinky.

Comment

Plus, ole' Slick Willy said i can't tell that sort of information and keep my camoflauge. the Army has really got no sense of humor about that sort of thing.

Comment

No room for open minded thinking here...

Being the Hannah Stolte mentioned in this article, I have a few things to say. I respect your right to free speaking and close-minding thinking, but seriously, how do you get off on making fun of a style? Musical Kata is often nothing more than a traditional kata done to music. The actual category for musical kata is showmanship. It is the people who do nothing more than add music to their kata that shame this category. The Katelyn Young mentioned in this article is the blameless example of what showmanship should be. She puts countless time and energy into practicing, not just in showmanship, but in traditional Kata (which by the way has earned her a top 10 ranking in the USKA) as well. She has a very promising future in this sport, and if she wants to make it fun, as well as anyone else, why knock it? Jack with his dragon certainly adds an element of fun to his kata, which he developed all on his own. Not bad for a 9 year old green belt. Ben and I did our Kata on the spur of the moment, only practicing for a week beforehand. There is nothing wrong with trying to have fun. Also, the traditional tournemants don't allow showmanship as a category, which is ok. But for the other, smaller, less serious tournies, it's an extra bonus.

Comment

showmanship is almost directly opposed to fighting, .... why are we doing "martial arts" again?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X