A tragic reflection of the state of grappling in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tragic reflection of the state of grappling in Michigan

The other day whilst paying a visit to my old karate club, I met a gentleman who had my instructor had been telling me stories of on previous visits; he had been fighting MMA for a while, and apparently had racked up quite the impressive record (I believe it was 10-1 or 9-2 or something along those lines).
    After class, I got to spar with this gent, and found his stand-up to be quite impressive. As I recall it, he has quite a few knockouts to his record. After a small dick-kicking related incident (which was, no doubt, karmic payback for all of those low blows I've struck against Moose throughout the years), I suggested we roll instead. I noticed a few things that didn't quite seem right for someone with a record like his; he tried to pass my guard straight into a scarfhold (that is, without the underhook), and just like everyone else who's ever attempted to do this in the history of time, lost his back in the process.
    After a minute and a half or so of rolling, he tapped out, and sat catching his breath. He said something along the lines of "I'm more exhausted than after a fight". Finding these sorts of things odd for someone with as much cage experience as he, I asked him who his grappling coach was. He responded, quite succinctly:
    "Youtube."
    I realize that MMA in this state is still very young, but it sort of pains my heart to see people be able to rise to the top of the amateur circuit without having to be able to properly pass someone's guard. It reminded me a story another fighter from my gym had told me, wherein he watched a fighter who was 4-1 lock in a triangle on the wrong side.
    I cannot help but lament this state of affairs.

weird. are you sure the guy wasnt full of poo?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, has this guy ever, allegedly, fought outside Michigan? I could buy that he blew through the locals with just his standup and maybe general athleticism. But if his conditioning is that poor it would surprise me if his record is legit. I certainly know that grappling condition vs. striking conditioning can be different but even the strikers I know with a very suspect ground game aren't totally spent after a minute and a half.

Comment

doesn't surprise me. I'm sure many folks from a boxing background may neglect their groundwork. Remember folks are training in mma...it's not like they are actually training in BJJ or Judo. They are learning some submissions, counters and the lot. Heck..I watch amateur MMA all the time and you see great strikers refuse to even go to the ground. As soon as the guy goes to guard the fighter will step back. It's the Kimbo Slice thing...you can rack up quite a record with people who want to stand up and swing with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Iainkelt View Post
          Just out of curiosity, has this guy ever, allegedly, fought outside Michigan? I could buy that he blew through the locals with just his standup and maybe general athleticism. But if his conditioning is that poor it would surprise me if his record is legit. I certainly know that grappling condition vs. striking conditioning can be different but even the strikers I know with a very suspect ground game aren't totally spent after a minute and a half.
          If YouTube is his coach, chances are he's tense as shit on the ground, spazzes a lot to get out of things, and probably burns through all his cardio quickly.

Comment

From watching live webcasts of local shows in Michigan, there's a whole lot of guys who come in with barely any training, let alone grappling skills.

Comment

It's not sad at all. I think it's cool.
              Why the hell is it sad?

Comment

A body builder guy I know, about 5'7" 250 pounds of muscle, got some fight offers before from some of the local shows. Now, this was one of those guys who always talked about how much he liked UFC but was always "too busy" to actually train. I rolled with the guy a couple times in the past (and I had to constantly pressure him to make it happen), and beat him handily every time. And I weigh 155. And I'm a chunner. And even I could beat him.

Anyway, he was offered some fights, and was told that since he WATCHED UFC that he'd be fine.

I'd like to also add that I hate how when people find out I practice Kung Fu, they often ask why I haven't been in the UFC yet. And if that's what I'm training for. And how I think I'd do if I fought in it.

In short, people are fucking stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
                  It reminded me a story another fighter from my gym had told me, wherein he watched a fighter who was 4-1 lock in a triangle on the wrong side.
                  You mean reverse triangle?

Comment

I think he means the foot under the knee was on the wrong side. Could be wrong though.
                    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
                    Originally posted by Devil
                    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
                    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
                    I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

You hear about promotions taking guys with physiques and signing them and they are basically chum for their fighters. Sign with the company and fight that night and get busted open. I'll be glad when there are bigger sanctioning bodies as opposed to the "hey we can put an mma card together" where a promoter puts his fighters up against tomato cans...

Comment

Some of the local Michigan shows will advertise up to the day of the event, asking that "anyone interested in fighting" call if they want to be on the card. They'll take anybody willing to step in the cage, and most of the fights are quite indicative of it.

One of the guys I train with said his buddy decided on a whim that he wanted to fight, so called upon hearing or seeing an ad. He didn't train at all, and just got in the cage fight night, and won a slugfest. From what I've seen from the fights I've attended, this is something close to the norm. There are generally a couple decent fights, but the rest are mostly like toughman contests involving crappling.

Comment

Doesn't help that people here fucking love slugfests, though that may be more indicative of a section of mma fans as a whole.

I've seen people booing during slick grappling exchanges.

Comment

Locking the triangle on the opposite (head) side isn't necessarily wrong.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X