Tony Jaa is out of movies, into temples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Jaa is out of movies, into temples

After a bright start, the career of the man many called the next great martial arts movie star is on hold. Personally I thought he never really picked up after Ong Bak, but he definitely had a talent for practical stunts in this age of CGI and wire-fu, and it is sad to see him go. Becoming a monk is many times not a lifelong commitment, but we shall see if he ever bounces back. This article on Twitch goes a bit more into the troubled history of Jaa, and it is worth a read. Click for a tale of messy legal disputes and black magic in Cambodia.

How will i now get my fill of Capoeira vs Pro Wrestling?

Comment

Meh. There's plenty of acrobatic/parkour-ish stunt actors around to fill the void. Maybe some of them can actually act. Case in point, I recently enjoyed District 13 - Ultimatum.

Comment

The fight choreographer made Ong Bak and Jaa's other movies great. Not that he is a bumb or anything. If you ever seen chocolate you know what I mean. A tiny chick fighting just like Jaa. I can't comment on his acting, he's english stinks.

Comment

Speaking of, maybe this will make room for more Jeeja Yanin movies. I certainly hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimmakfist View Post
            The fight choreographer made Ong Bak and Jaa's other movies great. Not that he is a bumb or anything. If you ever seen chocolate you know what I mean. A tiny chick fighting just like Jaa. I can't comment on his acting, he's english stinks.

*slow clap*

Bravo.
            GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
            Originally posted by Devil
            I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
            Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
            I <3 Battlefields...

Comment

Like the article said, becoming a monk for a while is a common practice in Thailand, he'll be out in a few years. Seems like he went a little nuts making Ong Bak 2 and 3, I don't think we should expect much more of him in the future.

As for Thai cinema in general, Jeeja Yanin and Dan Chupon are both good, but I don't think they have the same level of physical prowess that makes Jaa so entertaining to watch. We'll see what movies BaaRamEwe comes out with in the future, but I don't know if they'll be as successful without their big draw.
              Fight Film Friday
              Watching violence on film, violently.
              Click here to donate!

Comment

I'm actually pretty sad about this, he is my favorite martial arts movie actor.

Comment

Look at the bright side, at least Hollywood didn't get their hands on him to ruin like Jackie Chan, John Woo and Chow Yun Fat.

Comment

Come on John Woo, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun fat, all have put out good Hollywood movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Conde Koma View Post
                      As for Thai cinema in general, Jeeja Yanin and Dan Chupon are both good, but I don't think they have the same level of physical prowess that makes Jaa so entertaining to watch. We'll see what movies BaaRamEwe comes out with in the future, but I don't know if they'll be as successful without their big draw.
                      I haven't forgiven Chupon for Tabanfire/Dynamite Warrior......

Comment

I hope Tony Jaa comes back just because Jeeja Yanin is so small. Jaa looks the part of an action star. He'd be great in Hollywood if he's english was as good as Jet Lee or Jackie Chan. Their english isn't great but they pass with their physical skill set. Prachya Pinkaew is supposedly to direct a movie with Dwayne Johnson. We shall see if can can survive without Jaa.

Comment

Meh. He seemed to be kind of a one trick pony anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JudOWNED View Post
                            Meh. He seemed to be kind of a one trick pony anyway.
                            I don't get this at all.

Comment

Maybe his next flick will be an action movie about meditating, chanting, and collecting alms.

Things will really pick up when a longtail macaque steals a Buddha image, which leads to a 30 minute chase across rooftops. This will also be the only high speed part of the movie.

I also envision a scene where the joss sticks topple over, and he accidentally touches boobies, but that will be early on.
                              =================
                              Kama Sutra blue belt.

Originally posted by Emevas
                              I used to fuck guys like you in prison.
                              Originally posted by Rock Ape
                              Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X