No announcement yet.

BBC photo essay: Sengalese wrestling becomes the nation's most popular sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC photo essay: Sengalese wrestling becomes the nation's most popular sport

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/8568677.stm

Sengalese wrestling = better than you

When I saw it on that Last Man Standing program, I'm pretty sure there was no punching.. perhaps they took it out for the pussy English TV

Comment

Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post
      When I saw it on that Last Man Standing program, I'm pretty sure there was no punching.. perhaps they took it out for the pussy English TV
      According to wiki:

Since the 1950s, a number of West African traditions have been assimilated into Lutte Traditionnelle as it has become a major spectator sport and cultural event. The major variation has become Laamb, or Senegalese Wrestling, which allows punching (frappe), the only of the West African traditions to do so. As a larger confederation and championship around Lutte Traditionnelle have developed since the 1990s, Senegalese fighters now practice both forms, called officially Lutte Traditionnelle sans frappe (for the international version) and Lutte Traditionnelle avec frappe for the striking version

So basically they had the last man standing guys do the "safe for Europe" version.

Comment

Cool. Pity they dont seem to have any groundfighting though.

Comment

birdman kicked my ass,
          birdman kicked my ass...
          Attached Files

Comment

looks pretty awesome, is there any video available?

the bit on charms reminds me of Thai boxing culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Conde Koma View Post
              looks pretty awesome, is there any video available?
              YouTube- Lutte sénégalaise

Battling Siki must be proud.

Comment

looks like victory by some kind of ippon (or just getting the guy to his back) with bareknuckle boxing allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Conde Koma View Post
                  looks like victory by some kind of ippon (or just getting the guy to his back) with bareknuckle boxing allowed?
                  That's more or less what I got out of the YouTube vid. I'm not sure what the slo-mo slapping thing is about. I mean if you're that close, you could be setting up strikes. I dunno, but interesting from a cultural point of view.

Comment

I was under the impression that Lutta Senegalese only allowed slapping, not punching; does someone want to clear this up for me?

Comment

i thought i saw some closed fists in there, but maybe it was the quote from the first bit that colored my view.

Comment

Apparently, you can also win a match if you floor an opponent with a punch:

YouTube- Bathie SERAS contre Zoze

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X