• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ Promotion and Ediquite

I currently train BJJ in Asia.

I will be moving back to California temporarily
    (i will stay between 2-3 years)

During the 2-3 years I will probably vistit my gym in Asian once a year.

Most likely there will be a point when my new gym will give promotions wether stripes or belts.

Would i come off like an ass if i told them my situation and wanted to get my promotions from my gym in Asia?

The new gym will be my "home" for 2-3 years. I dont want to be disrespectful.

Just take whatever they give you graciously. You can always wear your old rank at your old school and get them again there if it matters to you. I'm not sure why it would.

Comment

yeah, that'd be a fairly dickish request. if your current instructor wants to promote you, it means you've earned it, and he'll promote you. when you move back to elbonia and train again at the previous dojo, they'll say "congratulations on the new belt!" and get back to training - promoting you again when they think you're ready.

if you were a temporary student, this wouldn't be an issue. but two to three years isn't fucking temporary. it's extraordinarily annoying for everyone involved when someone trains regularly but refers to somewhere else as "his" school. be a part of the school, not some asshole who acts like an outsider for years.

the short version: shut up and train.

Comment

Im back to bjj after a 9 month lay off. My mother was sick and went into hospice earlier this year. She passed away in June. I dont know why im writing this here. Just having one of those days.

Comment

Originally posted by toddlove8845 View Post
          Im back to bjj after a 9 month lay off. My mother was sick and went into hospice earlier this year. She passed away in June. I dont know why im writing this here. Just having one of those days.
          I am sorry for your loss, but happy that you are back in training.

Welcome back.
          Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Originally posted by toddlove8845 View Post
            allow your BJJ training to be a welcomed distraction from the tribulations of life and don't worry about promotions.
            when real-life kicks you, like this, you realize that little pieces of electrical tape on a colored knotted rag doesn't really matter much.

sorry to hear of your loss.

Comment

I also want to echo what they have said. Hope to see you post more.
              Where about do you train now?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X