Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

uncoordinated, clumsy and slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol the topic pretty much describes my first session. It was the mma basic striking class. The moves looked so simple, but I had trouble with the simple things.
    I mean I really suck. Other first timers were gliding through....like ninjas. No problems at all

I dunno, what I saw the instructor doing seemed easy, but my mind was couldn't translate it to the body. Lots of pivots with the feet while punching.

I also found out that I have no rythem. Maybe this is why I can't dance either. Lol maybe this will help me find some beat.

I managed to sprain my ankle so its gonna be a while before I can go back. Lol if this is hard I'm sure the bjj is going to make my head spin.

Anyways the point of this post, you guys have these kinds of problems like rythem, and difficulty with foot movement?

On another note, the instructor let a more advanced student help me through the whole class. Its not the instruction, its me

welcome - and join the club. just remember: "i'm bad at what i practice, because i practice what i'm bad at." or something like that.

Comment

The "other newcomers" aren't ninja, they probably have done more sports than you in the past. Don't worry about exercises seeming awkward or too difficult, keep head down and drill train exercise.

Just forget about seeing the results, they'll come when you're not looking ;)

Comment

Don't worry too much about it. Pretty much everyone sucks when they start, myself included. If you put the time in then you will get better.

Welcome to the site

Comment

Look in the mirror and do the techniques really really slowly, and focus on doing them correctly. Sometimes new movements feel strange until you get used to them. If it's really feeling wrong, ask for help from your instructors.

I'd bet the other guys don't look as good as you think they do. Don't sweat what they are doing, or whether they look like ninjas. Focus on your skills, and stay humble.

Also, practice at home - just tiny parts of what you are drilling in class. Stepping when you punch, retracting your fist, head movement, and posture are all things you can do in the mirror. For rythm, you can just put on some heavy beats and repeat one movement to the beat.... punch retract punch retract etc.

It all comes in time, and you'll get it.
          "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by OP
            Yeah, so what ?

I bet you aren't any better !
            I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
            BILL HICKS,
            1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
            ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Try dancing classes. It's unbelievable how it will get your feet-hands coordination straight, and it should be cheap, too. That is, if you have spare time...

Comment

Don't worry about, OP, as the more you do it the better you will become. When I started Kyokushin I was confounded and stymied by the alien and fantastical movement referred to only as "the hook", and when I started wrestling I was confounded and stymied by pretty much fucking everything(shit, I still am, but now I'm just passably shitty at karate and don't get tapped instantaneously anymore.

It's all just practice, practice, and more practice.

Comment

Practice practice practice.

Comment

Well when I started mas I was uncoordinated, clumsy, slow and fat! But I got hooked on karate and soon lost the blubber and eventually managed to do stuff like 40 or 50 pushups, fast jabs, spinning hook kicks and so forth and even got to be an average black belt, and in a good school, that is something.

The moto of the first school I was in was that the purpose of karate was, "Not to conquer others, but to conquer the weaknesses within oneself."

And they had these papers around the wall with words like Seriousness Try Hard Never Give Up Initiative Responsibility Patience and with all the good advice they could also fight; they'd spar just as hard as you wanted.

So don't worry, train!
                    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X