BJJ Gaurd Preferences Aside from Full Gaurd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BJJ Gaurd Preferences Aside from Full Gaurd

How long did it take for you to find your "go to gaurd?" The gaurd you feel safest in.

Ive only been doing BJJ for a year and a half. For me i would say half gaurd or half butterfly.

Also do you think that it is too soon for me to have settled on a certain type of gaurd?

Beside the basic sweeps, counters and attacks from each gaurd. How well should I know the other gaurds(aside from full gaurd).

I also like half guard a lot. But I try to remember that not long ago that was one of my worst positions and the reason I got decent with it, is because I kept asking questions and trying things because it frustrated me so much. This helps me remember not to neglect the positions and guards that are still giving me trouble.
    I also really like the high guard.

Comment

For gi - spider guard

For no-gi I don't have one

Comment

I'm trying to get my spider guard on, it's getting there. I tried to give my four year old a hug this morning while he was still in bed and he put me in half-guard so I guess that's his vote.

Comment

In No-Gi it's definitely Butterfly Guard, in Gi it's a sort of spider guard/open guard hybrid with feet on the hips and sleeve grips. I'm starting to use the Braulo Estima leg hook guard from there and I really like it, but I wouldn't say I've settled into it as my Go To guard in Gi yet.
          sigpic

Comment

The answer depends on what your own goals are. If you are interested in MMA, spending time developing the spider guard would be inefficient, to say the least. Likewise, developing Telles' "turtle guard" would be disatourous, though both mentioned guards have had success at the highest levels of BJJ competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Kintanon View Post
              In No-Gi it's definitely Butterfly Guard, in Gi it's a sort of spider guard/open guard hybrid with feet on the hips and sleeve grips. I'm starting to use the Braulo Estima leg hook guard from there and I really like it, but I wouldn't say I've settled into it as my Go To guard in Gi yet.
              I use that spider/open guard a lot. It's one of my favorite positions to work from, but I like open guard in general. I generally work my closed guard first, and if I think I'm ever about to get passed, I immediately switch to my open guard. I have a lot of fun sweeps and submissions from there.

Comment

I prefer the guard. I am unfamiliar with this "gaurd" thing.

In terms of guards, I tend towards the half butterfly and X-guards, regardless of gi/no-gi. Half butterfly usually leads either to a leglock or X-guard; if neither, bail to full butterfly and work from there. X-guard is sweep land with the occasional leglock.

Half guard (I prefer the knee-block / "Z" variant) and butterfly guard are also pretty comfortable, due to necessity.

Comment

Sitting guard and De la riva both for gi and no gi but mainly I'm sweeping, taking the back, or choking. Most of my submissions come from closed and spider variants.

Comment

I'm really comfy in half guard, got a few good sweeps from there. My full guard needs a lot of work.

Stu xD

Comment

Is it okay to just be cool with good ol' regular guard? I mean, I play around with rubber guard here and there, but isn't regular guard supposed to be the most neutral of bottom positions?

Also, is there another name for it besides "regular" guard?
                      Fight Film Friday
                      Watching violence on film, violently.
                      Click here to donate!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Negation View Post

Half guard (I prefer the knee-block / "Z" variant) .
                        This. Kneebars and sweeps all day from here.

Comment

Originally posted by Conde Koma View Post
                          Is it okay to just be cool with good ol' regular guard? I mean, I play around with rubber guard here and there, but isn't regular guard supposed to be the most neutral of bottom positions?

Also, is there another name for it besides "regular" guard?
                          There is no "regular" guard. Do you mean closed guard?
                          Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

I officially love the Leg Hook guard for Gi. I was imposing my will all over the place with that tonight.
                            I need to revisit my halfguard though, I used to be dangerous from halfguard bottom but now everyone is getting to where they can crush me and flatten me out despite my tricks. Gotta get some new tricks.
                            sigpic

Comment

I like half guard the best because I end up there often and as a result have developed many techniques from that position.

I also like closed guard a lot because you have the option to move into various types of open guards.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X