New Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here

I've read the forums from time to time and seemed like a good place to spend a little time and discussion. I'm mainly a boxer and wrestled a lot growing up (high school)

I love training in traditional Japanese styles because I enjoy the formality, I guess it's a throwback to the Marine Corps days.

Most of my "martial arts" time is spent sparring in the boxing ring. I've never been to a BJJ session, and probably never will, too expensive and I have bad knees from the military, so I really don't like rolling anymore, although I always loved Judo.

I want to train in "realistic" blade techniques and that has had me considering a trip to the local "Israeli" school that advertises such classes. They are some sort of typical blend of Krav, Haganah Fight etc. Don't really keep up on the lineage wars there.

So anyway, Hello everyone. Looking forward to good times.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Didn't they teach you to avoid blades with your MCMAP training? Or is it just something you're interested in? I would recommend being very careful with what they teach you about knives in civilian schools. Sometimes a technique looks pretty when it's choreographed, but can end you up dead fast on the street. Then again, depends on the school and what you want out of it.

Good luck in your journey.

Comment

I wouldn't say they taught us to avoid blades in the Corps, they teach bayonet skills beginning in Boot Camp and in the Infantry we all carried a few different blades for utility and combat. But it was obviously considered an emergency weapon, right before you start relying on teeth. But a useful one nonetheless.

As far as why I am looking into blade work now, it's more a casual interest, hoping to find something useful. I've checked out a few classes and so far been unimpressed....or more likely, a little scared of what these folks are peddling.

Comment

Welcome to the boards.is their a good escrima/jkd school near you?or check out the school reviews from the people here.good luck.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X