A noob here!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A noob here!!!

Hi, i am a noob, and I love your site. I have trained in TKD for 2 years and Shotokan Karate for 2 years also. I know Traditional martial arts have many stupid techniques, but I know it depends on the school, and mostly on ourselves. I practice mostly sport TKD, and I know that practicing point sparring I am not prepared to take a MT fighter or boxer, but I love kicks, so i don't care too much. Is true that I would like to practice to sprawl, pass guard, armbars, triagle chokes, but right now I dont have access to a good BJJ school, but who knows? maybe in the future.

Keep the good work!!!!

Why does 'liking kicks' make point sparring an acceptable substitute?

Comment

Originally posted by v1y View Post
      How does "liking kicks" make MMA somehow not applicable? =/

I mean, Cro Cop likes kicks too.

As for point-sparring, eh. It's kind of fun. Like a game of tag. It's more fun if you put at least a LITTLE impact into it; otherwise, you'll get "tagged" and never notice.

Comment

Originally posted by v1y View Post
        Is not, i didn't say that, but I like it. It teaches you speed, and doesn't leave you with many bruises. Well in my level, because the BB fight without protection and they go all out.
        Maybe in the future I will train Kickboxing, MT or other full contact sport, but in my city is very hard to find a good school.

Comment

Remember, you can condition your legs without a school. All you need is a heavy bag and if you want to up the ante, you can get a sand bag or even a nice post to whack your shins on.
          But go slow..gradually your shins will get nice and hard.
          Do you do any conditioning in your Karate?
          " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

My karate school was very bad, mostly katas, horse stance and other BS. I remeber sparring two times in two years. Even we went to a Tournament, of course we lost. Funny thing my brother was disqualified for going full-contact (it was a light contact torunament).
            My current TKD school is other thing, we train 6 hours a week Olympic TKD, we don't practice self defense, katas, blocks, only kicking pads and sparring. There are other classes for the TMA part of TKD, but I dont go to those classes, so when it's time for the belt test is very hard to me, I practice katas, blocks and self defense only a week
            before.

Comment

Katas are good exercise ..but unless they have some practical applicability they aren't much use. I hated doing them for the most part, but the one's that had practiality I did put some effort into.
              TKD is good for developing your kicking,,but remember that it is a SPORT. Much of what you do there will be of no use to you on the street. Judging from your posts, I think you already realize this and you seem to be realistic about things.
              You will find that TKD isn't given much credence around here. BUT I think it is fine as part of a progressive training regimen.If you are sparring , that's good. If you are practicing MA and not sparring..you are not really training MA.
              Good luck to you.
              " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

Is there a judo school near you? Judo is awesome. You learn lotsa cool shit, i.e Coolshido

Hey can we use that term more often (coolshido)?

Stu xD

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X