Cheapest MMA production of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapest MMA production of all time

I never realized how limited the budget was for those early Hook N'Shoot events until I discovered these videos of a tournament from 1997. The fights were literally held on some mats in the corner of a dojo. Although these videos look like ordinary smoker fights, these matches do in fact count as professional bouts and are listed on the MMA records of the fighters who competed:

YouTube- Absolute Fighting Championship : Amalfitano vs. Cioci

The winner of the tournament was a diminutive submission grappler named Phil Stroffolino:

YouTube- Absolute Fighting Championship : Amalfitano vs. Stroffolino

Dave Menne also fought in a non-tournament fight:

YouTube- Absolute Fighting Championship : Menne vs. Wills
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Jesus, and I thought Rebel Fighter was low-rent.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Comment

no crowd = no bells and whistles.

late 90s = no crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyCache View Post
        no crowd = no bells and whistles.

late 90s = no crowd.
        I swear there were more people watching those fights in the dojo than in some early MMA promotions that could afford a real ring and venue.

Comment

Jeremy Horn's first pro fight:

YouTube- AF - Jeremy Horn -vs- Rick Graveson

No bells and whistles is right. I suppose if a wrestler wanted to push a guy up against the fence in this event, he'd have to wedge his opponent's head in between the two pads those guys were holding.

Comment

I'd rather watch a fight in a gym setting I think, it's more intimate. Intimate in a non gay way that is. Kind of similar to having a punk rock show in someones basement as opposed to a stadium. Or a relaxing pub like bar as opposed to one crawling with 19 year olds dancing to top 40 stuff while I'm being forced to pay 6.25 for a Heineken. Yes my weekend sucked.

Comment

Rio Heroes is pretty ghetto too.
              "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

Originally posted by shelbydeth View Post
                I'd rather watch a fight in a gym setting I think, it's more intimate. Intimate in a non gay way that is. Kind of similar to having a punk rock show in someones basement as opposed to a stadium. Or a relaxing pub like bar as opposed to one crawling with 19 year olds dancing to top 40 stuff while I'm being forced to pay 6.25 for a Heineken. Yes my weekend sucked.
                Don't forget the worst of the crowd, the creepy 30 something year old guy standing around with an over priced shitty beer while complaining about the young people around him after he willingly got there himself.

Comment

Haha hey I'm only 21, I just happen to hate young people. Besides I went there as a favour. Nice burn though.

Comment

I saw LIGUY fight in the UCL. They had no bell, no stools, nothing. The MC even asked if there was someone in the crowd with a watch that had a stopwatch function. Unforgettable evening. Good times.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X