Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

How to deal with pressure in sparring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to deal with pressure in sparring

Originally posted by MMAche View Post
    Do you guys have any advise how to get rid of this bad habbit?
    We run a drill where I train to try to desensitize people to being punched.

Start with your back against a wall with your opponent facing you. You do not get to move.

For 2 minutes, your opponent will throw punches (jab, cross, hook, body shots).

They should start out slowly and then increase to a tempo where you are on the edge of flailing but not actually doing it (your parries and covers should be clean but hurried). A few punches may get through but that is how it goes.

Tip: do NOT stare at their eyes or hands. Look at the base of their neck and just zone out there. This will help you to *relax* and train your peripheral vision.

This should help to alleviate some of the panic.

The other part is movement. If your opponent closes the distance and begins an attack, he has the benefit of being the first mover. You need to clear out *twice* as fast as he is closing and circle to his weak side (outside of his lead leg). You can run a drill where your opponent simply closes in (no hands) and your job is to react and clear out as quickly as possible.

When you get a little more relaxed, counter-striking will be a little easier to get a hang of.

Comment

Comment

At six months, most of your fear will disappear. It takes time to get used to sparring. Especially when it is only once a week.

Comment

Comment

If you have just started out in your training, I would say give yourself more time to adjust to sparring. I believe your, "cover up and turn away when the put on a little bit of pressure" has to do more with you being new, than any bad habits. Give it a few more months and see how you progress.

After a few more months ask yourself:

• Am I still covering up when I shouldn't?

• Do I still turn away from my opponents?

If you can honestly say yes to those two things in the next few months, I don't think there is much to worry about.

Also, if you are still concerned about this, bring it up with your instructor, and ask for his advice. Remember he is there to help you get better, and should be glad to help you with this.

Believe it or not, good instructors are usually aware of what their students need to work on, and it may be that your instructor already figured out what you need help with. Sometimes, by going up to the teacher and telling them what you need help with shows them that you are actually putting the effort into your training, and are more likely to devote more time with you to help you out. In short, don't be afraid to ask the teacher for help.

Best of luck with your training,

ZoA.
            Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
            Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
            Greek proverb

Originally posted by Nicko1
            Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Comment

I guess your right. It is just anoying since it is "just" something psychological. Well again thank you all for your advice, it has really helped to put it into perspective. When you just started something and you are all fired up you want everything at once even though you know that it doesnt work that way...

Comment

If you wanna try something, just do the opposite. Pressure your opponents instead of being pressured. For one, stepping into a punch before it's fully extended takes away most of the impact and acceleration. Second, taking the initiative puts your opponent on the defensive, allowing you to dictate the pace of the match. Since it's sparring anyway, it's not like you have to be worried about getting KO'd (assuming you're using proper safety gear), so rushing in will help break down that psychological barrier as you gain confidence.
                Fight Film Friday
                Watching violence on film, violently.
                Click here to donate!

Comment

Originally posted by ZenOfAnger View Post

Also, if you are still concerned about this, bring it up with your instructor, and ask for his advice. Remember he is there to help you get better, and should be glad to help you with this.
                  Shit, I totally forgot to mention the instructor. That is why they're there after all. Good call Zen.

MMAche you should watch this video (start it at 2:45) and think of it as something to aspire to. It is KK, but it's badass nonetheless. YouTube- Kyokushin Karate - Matsui's 50-man Kumite Test (1)

Comment

We did what Uncle said in his reply, but we stood in the corner, even less chance of running or turning. At first I thot I'd die, but a couple weeks later I realized that the bb was going a lot harder with his body punches and I was "taking" them.
                    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

I will ask some of the guys to stay a while after class to do a little bit of the drill you recommended, sounds pretty effective. When i think about it, we did something vaguely like that just today. You had to hold a really tight guard and your partner unloaded on it for like 10 seconds. But since i knew what was coming it was totally different, still some people hit so damn hard you feel beeing overpowerd even with your hands up.

Comment

Originally posted by G0LG013 View Post
                        It is KK, but it's badass nonetheless.
                        Nonetheless??
                        "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Comment

Originally posted by MMAche View Post
                          I guess your right. It is just anoying since it is "just" something psychological. Well again thank you all for your advice, it has really helped to put it into perspective. When you just started something and you are all fired up you want everything at once even though you know that it doesnt work that way...
                          No worries! Just stick with it, and you'll be surprised at how much you can and will progress. In fact, I'm going to start judo in the next few months (was going to start earlier, but shit happens) and I will be in the same boat as you. It really helps to have a mindset of patience, because as long as you work hard at it, all it takes is time to see the results.

Sincerely,

ZoA.
                          Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
                          Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
                          Greek proverb

Originally posted by Nicko1
                          Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Comment

Here's what I did in a similar situation

Left hand goes to left cheek bone

Right hand goes to right cheek bone

elbows in

Crouch

When you get pressured front kick / teep or whatever

followed by the dreaded double jab while moving in and then circle away

It works like a charm

Comment

Yeah, put the elbows in front of your face.

Shihan Perales told us that sparring is learning to face fear. It takes a while.

One of my kids wrote a college admission essay on learning to be able to spar on black belt level, including tough tournies. It was an education to me to read it; I had no idea of just how tough it was. And I was proud of the kid, in facing a very aggressive fighter (ex local champ) showed real class by backing slowly, evading or blocking all the strikes and WHAM! Straight right to the gut. First point, the shodan. Kid lost eventually, but "champ" had to fight smart and controlled as aggressive moves on someone many years younger just didn't work. And the kid went home carrying part of the championship; a fat lip.

So OSU!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X